Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Crewe Alexandra Official Matchday Thread  (Read 39459 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 17:51:52 »

Considering this is a 46+ game season and we have a threadbare squad, I'm over the moon that Crewe got whatever they were trying to do all wrong resulting in Swindon barely needing to break a sweat.

Very happy.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 18:19:41 »

First game of the season for me. Crewe seem to get worse with every season, god knows how they're still in L1. We did what we had to do but you always felt a more committed Swindon side or one with some of the quality players we had last year would have managed double figures today. Not complaining though as we're supposed to be battling it out with the likes of Crewe at the bottom.

Kassim and Williams played well today. First time I've seen Brad Smith play, so I take it he's better than that? (that being totally shite).

Cats are better than dogs FACT
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 18:39:48 »

Thinking back to the game, they had one shot off-target, but Wes was well employed with aimless crosses - did fuck one of those up but got away with it.  Atmosphere on and off the field was crap, no bookings and the ref quite anonymous (perhaps that's a good thing!).  Our trainer not employed and theirs only on once - he did indicate to the bench the player injured was ok to carry on and was promptly subbed seconds later!  There are no doubt bigger tests to come, a couple of decent players in and we could be in for an interesting season.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 18:41:07 »

brad smith seems to lack some self confidence. Very rarely did he bust a gut to get to the byline (probably as his crossing is shite) and more often than not just kept it simple. Once he tried he smoked his man, only for a covering player to block. He'll come good, given time.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 18:50:31 »

Smith was a totally different player today compared to the Scunthorpe game, quite strange. Some awful crossing in general today, both sides guilty of it. Did we ever put a corner directly into the 6 yard box?
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 19:31:19 »

Smith was a totally different player today compared to the Scunthorpe game, quite strange. Some awful crossing in general today, both sides guilty of it. Did we ever put a corner directly into the 6 yard box?

Little point putting a ball into the six-yard box. They were marking zonally and had plenty of bodies in there. So much so at one point 10 of theirs were behind their penalty spot and the other was inside 18 yards. The space was outside that.
DRS

« Reply #156 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 19:39:00 »

Smith will be fine,not sure he is totally fit to be honest.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 19:42:13 »

I don't think we can read too much into today at all. Crewe were as anonymous as any side I've ever seen at the County Ground. There was never any attempt to close down or mark Kasim, even though he was the fulcrum for us. He played well, for a man that was challenged as much as he might be in a light training session. Great free kick though.

People have spoken of Brad Smith's crossing - I thought we didn't use him enough today. Turnbull struggled to turn and knock the easy ball to him, preferring to stay on his left foot and knock it back across the defence or into Kasim. I liked how B Smith ran at the full back on occasion, and whilst his crosses were wayward at times, they were no more so than Byrne's, hit with far more pace and intent than Byrne's and one of them should have been put away by Michael Smith, when he hit the bar. I'm confident we will get a good season out of him.

Byrne was ok, but again, he was left in acres of space for 90 minutes and his delivery was poor. He needed to try and hit Williams and Smith first time. Instead, he would tend to slow play down and knock it back to Gladwin or Kasim.

Overall, we just seemed to do enough to get over the line. We sat at 0-0 and 1-0 for too with little urgency or pace to our game. Those additions will be interesting because they'll define how we get on, at least for the first half of the season.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 19:57:22 »

They had 2 men on Kasim pretty regularly.  They just weren't very good!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 20:06:49 »

They had 2 men on Kasim pretty regularly.  They just weren't very good!

It doesn't count if they just look at him. He had all the time in the world!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 20:50:59 »

Brad Smith will become a decent player just give him some time.
Pleased we have him.
Same as our other Smiffy can't fault his attitude.
We are in a good position, better than I expected but need a few more squad additions.
Relax the future is bright and Red.
Loving my Oxfordshire existence, loving the A34, the M40 and depression in the OX.
FA cup please.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 20:58:28 »

Brad Smith will become a decent player just give him some time.
Pleased we have him.
Same as our other Smiffy can't fault his attitude.
We are in a good position, better than I expected but need a few more squad additions.
Relax the future is bright and Red.
Loving my Oxfordshire existence, loving the A34, the M40 and depression in the OX.
FA cup please.

Pox's usual MO is go top at Christmas and then plummet, I wonder if they are of the opinion that reversing the tactic might be more successful instead... Smiley

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 21:10:38 »

Nope this is their peak this season I reckon.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 21:21:32 »

First time in Oxford's long, illustrious history they have lost 8 league games on the bounce 
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 21:31:15 »

Just been told that the No. 3 for Crewe was plucked from non-league obscurity - Pewsey!!  A few more performances like today and him and a few of his team mates could well be heading back down that road!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: