Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Crewe Alexandra Official Matchday Thread  (Read 39148 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:16:20 »

I actually quite enjoyed it, I guess some people don't like the 'pedestrian' pace and patient approach and others do. Based on attendances though, I guess more are not in favour?
I do think we missed an opportunity yesterday to up the tempo  little and rattle in some goals rather than "just getting the job done"

It's just incredibly dull to watch. Slick, passing football is sublime to watch if it is at a good tempo, with players running off the ball. Slow, ponderous football is not entertaining. It is a myth to state that "passing football is entertaining". There is a certain type of passing football that is. What we play is low risk, possession at all costs football. Our players rarely a) break into a sprint, or b) venture too far from their position in the formation. It is static, slow and, so far as entertainment goes, a long way behind the successful sides of Di Canio and Wilson. The atmosphere suffers as a result too - there is a reason you wouldn't go to watch a training session!
kerry red

« Reply #196 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:27:52 »

That is fair comment but it does take 2 teams to make an entertaining game.

The Scunny game was a joy to watch for the simple reason that they fancied their chances and had a go.

You only have to watch some of the CL games when one team parks the bus. Even Barcelona are boring to watch jf it is just them against a packed defence.

The Coventry game will be worth the money cos, again, they will have a go.

It is a bit curmudgonley to blame our team cos the other one does not want to play
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:51:35 »

It's just incredibly dull to watch. Slick, passing football is sublime to watch if it is at a good tempo, with players running off the ball. Slow, ponderous football is not entertaining. It is a myth to state that "passing football is entertaining". There is a certain type of passing football that is. What we play is low risk, possession at all costs football. Our players rarely a) break into a sprint, or b) venture too far from their position in the formation. It is static, slow and, so far as entertainment goes, a long way behind the successful sides of Di Canio and Wilson. The atmosphere suffers as a result too - there is a reason you wouldn't go to watch a training session!

You're seeing what you want to see. didn't we get relegated with Wilson playing "fast football". And didn't we finish just outside the playoffs last season playing this way?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:54:57 »

That is fair comment but it does take 2 teams to make an entertaining game.

The Scunny game was a joy to watch for the simple reason that they fancied their chances and had a go.

You only have to watch some of the CL games when one team parks the bus. Even Barcelona are boring to watch jf it is just them against a packed defence.

The Coventry game will be worth the money cos, again, they will have a go.

It is a bit curmudgonley to blame our team cos the other one does not want to play

Agreed.

I was happy to get the points but Crewe were pish and offered nothing....

It was just waiting for us to grind it out...and we did.

It wasnt shit, just a poor match.... Seen many like that before and will see many more I'm sure.

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #199 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 19:17:04 »

It can be dull to watch and frustrating. But yesterday we created a number of chances, and so I don't class yesterday's game in that category.

The ones that wind me up at where we continually piss around with it when we need to chase the game
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #200 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 19:19:02 »

I found us dull to watch under Di Canio so it's all personal preference really...as long as we're winning
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #201 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 19:51:02 »

I like the style of play. The only criticism I would offer yesterday was we didn't get the ball forward quickly enough and that was probably due to Luongo being out as he's been carrying it forward really well. It wasn't the greatest spectacle yesterday but a clean sheet, no cards no injuries and another game under the belts. with 2 more games in a week it was a great game to have. Also from a purist point of view some of the stuff Kasim does its tempting to knock one out. He's got fuck all pace and can't head the thing but the way he makes space and passes is a lesson for the other players. I also have a feeling Gladwin will grow and grow.
The piss stains are moaning about having a young team, well we've got one and we're 6th in Div 3 not last in div 4.
I hope the fans get behind us but I doubt it. £25 is a lot for Div 3 football and I don't think power has done a lot wrong but the 3 tier pricing is fucking stupid. We really need some stability to grow the fan base again. Talk of police not being paid, the tannoy not working don't help as it helps lapsed fans justify their decision.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 19:57:30 »

I like the style of play. The only criticism I would offer yesterday was we didn't get the ball forward quickly enough and that was probably due to Luongo being out as he's been carrying it forward really well. It wasn't the greatest spectacle yesterday but a clean sheet, no cards no injuries and another game under the belts. with 2 more games in a week it was a great game to have. Also from a purist point of view some of the stuff Kasim does its tempting to knock one out. He's got fuck all pace and can't head the thing but the way he makes space and passes is a lesson for the other players. I also have a feeling Gladwin will grow and grow. The piss stains are moaning about having a young team, well we've got one and we're 6th in Div 3 not last in div 4.
I hope the fans get behind us but I doubt it. £25 is a lot for Div 3 football and I don't think power has done a lot wrong but the 3 tier pricing is fucking stupid. We really need some stability to grow the fan base again. Talk of police not being paid, the tannoy not working don't help as it helps lapsed fans justify their decision.

Love this, so true, and to think that none of us had heard of either of them prior to them joining is amazing. If anyone says they have, they're lying...or they're related to them. I wonder if Tottenham realised Kasim's true potential, not for a second suggesting he'd get in their first team, by the way.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 21:41:04 »

There is only 1 team in league one with a 100% home record...
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Sunday, August 24, 2014, 22:28:39 »

You're seeing what you want to see. didn't we get relegated with Wilson playing "fast football". And didn't we finish just outside the playoffs last season playing this way?

As I said, the successful Di Canio and Wilson teams: when passing at pace works. It didn't work all of the time.

Crewe didn't help matters yesterday - a side who want to play and play at pace themselves will help towards an entertaining game and I agree, Luongo will also help. Gladwin could turn into a real find too - very impressed. Yesterday was a bizarre one-off, so bring on Tuesday.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Monday, August 25, 2014, 06:57:06 »

If people are getting sniffy and complaining about the style and nature of a comfortable 2-0 win, things are clearly going pretty damned well.

Those of you who don't like the way we played/are playing, just cast your minds back a few short seasons to the abomination that was the 2010-11 season - we couldn't buy a win between the 3rd Jan and the 7th May - The detestable Paul Hart and his equally detestable '4-3-3'. Elliot Benyon, Thomas Dossevi, Vincent Pericard.........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhh!!!!!!.....please, no more!!!!!!

When I think of that (I wish I hadn't actually, it's made me feel rather ill), I will gladly take performances like Saturday's from now and for the rest if eternity Cool
« Last Edit: Monday, August 25, 2014, 06:58:45 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Monday, August 25, 2014, 08:08:28 »

If people are getting sniffy and complaining about the style and nature of a comfortable 2-0 win, things are clearly going pretty damned well.

Those of you who don't like the way we played/are playing, just cast your minds back a few short seasons to the abomination that was the 2010-11 season - we couldn't buy a win between the 3rd Jan and the 7th May - The detestable Paul Hart and his equally detestable '4-3-3'. Elliot Benyon, Thomas Dossevi, Vincent Pericard.........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhh!!!!!!.....please, no more!!!!!!

When I think of that (I wish I hadn't actually, it's made me feel rather ill), I will gladly take performances like Saturday's from now and for the rest if eternity Cool

Bump.......great post, but before breakfast out of order Smiley
Exactly. Playing this with a budget cut from £4.8 million I think Cooper deserves credit.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Monday, August 25, 2014, 08:49:21 »

Bump.......great post, but before breakfast out of order Smiley
Exactly. Playing this with a budget cut from £4.8 million I think Cooper deserves credit.

Agreed IMO and batch's point. The most frustrating game for me last season was Blades away when Chuckles did nothing and likewise the players did the same AND after a goal down....

This season we have made NO 'real' signings, Power has cut the cloth deep accordingly and Chuckles has dished up a good display in every game so far (including Crewe....'get the job done' performance').

I'm satisfied that we will finish in the upper reaches of the league and that's a good result for us....lets hope for another good run in the JPT.

Clems Army!
kerry red

« Reply #208 on: Monday, August 25, 2014, 08:54:38 »

El Cooperino seems to have taken on board what a lot of us thought last year in away games - if we're going to get beat trying not to lose we might just as well go for it
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Monday, August 25, 2014, 10:05:32 »

This season we have made NO 'real' signings
Very true although our new model should mean that we don't need to overhaul our squad every summer as the individuals will improve every year.

Williams could prove to be as good as a new signing if he keeps up his form from Saturday.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: