Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 1272 ... 2658   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5162790 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #19020 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 16:30:11 »

We've been to wembley fucking loads in the last few years or so anyway. I expect some town fans are sick of it.
I am
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #19021 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 17:29:18 »

Meh, the JPT is a fantastic route to Wembley, and I wish we had won it. But it is true that it only really matters to the teams there.

Even when we lost I was over it in less than a day. The playoff final on the other hand...

I have no time for the JPT but went to our final more so in hope to actually enjoy the Wembley experience....as the Play Off final somewhat soured, well.....the whole damn season.

The JPT final was shit, we didn't win, I didn't care and I still think Wembley is shit and I'll be perfectly happy if we never play there again

It would take a major final (League Cup or FA Cup) to get me there again.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19022 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 17:37:07 »

I couldn't not go to a playoff final, but I fucking hate the shitty place.

wonder if it's different if you win there...
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #19023 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 17:40:37 »

The 'big day out at Wembley' is a myth. It died years ago when they started playing FA Cup Semi Finals there.

As is Wembley for that matter. Wembley died when the twin towers came down. It's just a big bowl in North West London now, built on the site where Wembley used to be.

If we have to play in the play offs and if we get to the Final, it's all about winning the game as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't care less where it's played.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #19024 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 18:13:06 »

wonder if it's different if you win there...

That's how I feel. However, my mate has deliberately booked a holiday for that weekend so he doesn't have to go (if we get there obviously). I think we'd struggle to take 20k this time round.

I've seen us win 2 play-off finals at the old Wembley.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 18:14:53 by Gnasher » Logged

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #19025 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 18:45:34 »

Bearing in mind I will in a very small close in a village on the south coast I found out yesterday at a house warming party that the new family that have moved in are city fans.

This is going to painful then
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #19026 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 21:16:36 »

This is it for me. I dread the prospect of the play-offs because obviously I'd want us to win, but if we got to the final will largely just regard it as a waste of several hundred quid I could spend far better. (and yes, I know, I don't have to go, but like Batch said, couldn't not)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #19027 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 21:53:07 »

This is it for me. I dread the prospect of the play-offs because obviously I'd want us to win, but if we got to the final will largely just regard it as a waste of several hundred quid I could spend far better. (and yes, I know,I don't have to go, but like Batch said, couldn't not)
I used to think that, in fact I probably felt that way until the 2010 debacle v Millwall when every minute detail of the day was utter, utter shit. As a result, I didn't go the the JPT Final v Chesterfield and I have to say, I did not regret it one bit. Especially when their second goal went in and I could just switch off the TV, pick up my beer and drink it out in the garden as opposed to filing painfully slowly out of the ground feeling like shit, piling on to a jam packed tube train, sitting on there for umpteen stops to Epping, getting in the car, driving back up the M11, A120...and on....and on...

A play of final is different though. Even so....it's really about the result for me over anything else. I really think I would be OK watching it on TV. Although I may feel differently if the situation actually arises. Lets just pray we finish second and no decision has to be made.

Edit: I hope the majority of Town fans don't feel this way as, ironically enough, I would hate to see us (were we to be in the Play Off Final) only take 20,000 or so.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 22:08:09 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #19028 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 21:57:42 »

Still a disgrace we turned up for that play off final in white, fucking white....
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #19029 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 22:00:19 »

Still a disgrace we turned up for that play off final in white, fucking white....
Don't get me started  Roll Eyes
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #19030 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 22:10:42 »

I had a good day out against Millwall until the game started- won an FSF competition for tickets in the posh seats so got a free meal, free bar and the seats in the bit that's always empty after half time for me and my dad. Thought I'd miss the atmosphere in the stands, but everyone was very thoughtful and didn't make that a problem.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19031 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 22:33:25 »

There wasn't much of an atmosphere in the stands!

In any case I hope we don't have to worry about it come May, unless we are in the playoffs. Then I'll worry if it happens.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #19032 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 23:22:15 »

We'd take 30k+ again, as we have done every time.  Entire households tag along and on paper it always looks an ok journey.

OST, I'd like to disagree with you on something.  I believe part of the new Wembley's problem is that it's too impressive inside, too distracting and not at all like how recognise football.  The old version was great on the outside but nothing more than a bland bank of seats/terraces inside.  It was like being in any old stand but bigger.  I spent most of my 4 visits to the place looking around in awe before realising I was there for a reason other than being a tourist.
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #19033 on: Monday, March 23, 2015, 00:34:57 »

We'd take 30k+ again, as we have done every time.  Entire households tag along and on paper it always looks an ok journey.

Except, Robert, as I understand it, there are no trains scheduled to run from Swindon on that particular day.

We should also factor in the cost, which is becoming increasingly prohibitive. Even in 1969, my ticket for one of the "better" seats cost me an alarming 46 shillings (£2-30). Fucking rip-off. For that I can only blame the Tories, can't I Harold (Reg) Wilson.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 23, 2015, 00:58:44 by Hammer » Logged
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #19034 on: Monday, March 23, 2015, 02:00:58 »

Tis all well and good to suggest that Wembley has lost its relevance, that it's not a patch on the old one etc. but there are a lot of fans who support Swindon now who will never get a chance to go to the old Wembley, on account of it no longer existing.

You may call it a tragedy, but my first experience of seeing my beloved Town run out in such a huge stadium as a kid will stick in my mind forever, regardless of the facilities and poor atmosphere etc. (not to mention the worst thing of all, the game itself..)

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 1272 ... 2658   Go Up
Print
Jump to: