Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crawley v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 15979 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Thursday, January 4, 2024, 22:57:38 »

Quote from: jayohaitchenn
I stopped going regularly after the Flitcroft season. Started streaming during covid and now have an official ifollow season ticket. Maybe go to 1 or 2 live games a season these days - much prefer watching it at home now

that's a real shame, it makes me worry if they open up the 3pm Saturday slot

this isn't a dig. Honestly it's your time and money.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Thursday, January 4, 2024, 23:51:51 »

Can't be arsed to watch on screen, definitely one of the few things I'd rather do in person. The whole day though, meet up, beer etc.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 07:54:00 »

Work hours & family life means it is x100000 times easier to put the football on the tv than to actually go to games.
A lot cheaper too - added bonus when I watch it I’m not surrounded by Town fans talking rubbish.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 08:45:27 »

I don’t like watching games on TV, watched home games during lockdown but didn’t watch any away games.

If I stopped actually going to games I wouldn’t replace that with ifollow
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 09:18:47 »

This isn't a statement I thought I would be making very often, but I'm kind of in agreement with DiV.

Moving out of London means getting to (home games at least) matches is more of an effort and having to now commute into London 3 times a week means that the last thing I want to do on a Saturday is more travelling. I'll watch the game on tv, which doesn't always work very well, but that doesn't irk me too much. It's not just the lost time either, as DiV also alluded to, it can be an expensive day out. I still enjoy my visit to the odd games with my dad, but we've both lost interest over the years. When we first started going quite regularly there was a good group of us that used to meet up, but due to death and lost interest it's really only me and him now. We try and get to a game once every 6 weeks depending on weekend plans.

I think I mentioned before that the pandemic flicked a bit of a switch in my head and I didn't actually miss when there was no football on, it provided an opportunity to do other things. I still look forward to the Swindon games, that will never change, but i'm just not as bothered if we win, lose or draw as I used to be, it's out of my control so I don't sweat it so much. This puts me in a huge minority, but I don't mind that, each to their own.

Wobbly Bob's comment is also spot on. I signed up on here when I lived in Edinburgh or Luxembourg I think and it was a great way of keeping in touch with other STFC fans who were closer to home. I've never had an addictive personality, but oddly this place is the closest thing to something I've become addicted to, which is a testament to the people who have posted here over the years. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 09:30:52 »

As I’ve spent 14 of the last 20 years living outside of the UK I’ve still, just about, got some umph about wanting to attend. I find viewing on iPTV a hard watch - don’t know why.

We shall not be renewing our STs unless something dramatic happens.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 09:43:51 »

This isn't a statement I thought I would be making very often, but I'm kind of in agreement with DiV.

Moving out of London means getting to (home games at least) matches is more of an effort and having to now commute into London 3 times a week means that the last thing I want to do on a Saturday is more travelling. I'll watch the game on tv, which doesn't always work very well, but that doesn't irk me too much. It's not just the lost time either, as DiV also alluded to, it can be an expensive day out. I still enjoy my visit to the odd games with my dad, but we've both lost interest over the years. When we first started going quite regularly there was a good group of us that used to meet up, but due to death and lost interest it's really only me and him now. We try and get to a game once every 6 weeks depending on weekend plans.

I think I mentioned before that the pandemic flicked a bit of a switch in my head and I didn't actually miss when there was no football on, it provided an opportunity to do other things. I still look forward to the Swindon games, that will never change, but i'm just not as bothered if we win, lose or draw as I used to be, it's out of my control so I don't sweat it so much. This puts me in a huge minority, but I don't mind that, each to their own.

Wobbly Bob's comment is also spot on. I signed up on here when I lived in Edinburgh or Luxembourg I think and it was a great way of keeping in touch with other STFC fans who were closer to home. I've never had an addictive personality, but oddly this place is the closest thing to something I've become addicted to, which is a testament to the people who have posted here over the years. 

I think age plays a part.

Message boards aren’t the used media anymore - the only people who tend to use them are those that started using them when they were the only way to talk about whatever subject with like minded people.

I expect most of us signed up in our teens / early 20 which would have made most of students and / or relatively new in the work force.

20+ years later and we are late 30s / early 40s and will have a combination of careers, mortgages, spouses & kids - unless your DMR & you just have an extensive criminal record.

All of which impacts the affordability & time needed to get to games.

I also expect with how easily accessible content from any of the big clubs in world football is now a days - that a lot of our kids (and future generations in general) will pick their team rather then being lumbered with one. Plus again, it’s way too bloody expensive for families.

When I was younger STFC was my life. It’s all I really did. My mood would be completely dictated by Swindon’s results. When we won great, I’d be happy till the next game. When we lost I’d be in a shitty mood till we won again. It became an addiction, a really shitty unfulfilling addiction that consumed me. All my mates were meeting their future partners, settling down, having kids & I was going to Walsall away (again) fully expecting us to lose (again) not remotely looking forward to it (again) and having the day put cost north of £50 (again)

Thankfully appointing Paul Hart was the straw that broke the camels back and I stopped going.
One of the best decisions I ever made in life.

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 12:36:08 »

If we weren't in the state we were in, I'd be choosing going to the games over watching at home 9 times out of 10. Early this season being able to ignore the off the field issues for a bit with it being good on the pitch and before Clem completely shit the bed, I was reminded that I love it.

Sitting at home just doesn't compare. I'd probably only chose the odd Tuesday night game from home over going if things were good just really down to the convenience of getting home from work and getting home after, etc.

Now I'm not even turning my firestick on to watch it from home for free.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 12:48:03 »

I'm not a season ticket holder but have been to more than half the home games this season I would say.
Like many, i'm finding it hard to get any enthusiasm to go currently and probably won't go tomorrow.

Having said that, my 7 1/2 year old lad has really got into football this season, both playing and watching and has loved going to the games, especially the Junior Robins room, where he can meet a couple of players pre-match, and there's loads to do in there too.
Caroline and the rest of the team have done a cracking job in there.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 12:52:26 »

I'm not a season ticket holder but have been to more than half the home games this season I would say.
Like many, i'm finding it hard to get any enthusiasm to go currently and probably won't go tomorrow.

Having said that, my 7 1/2 year old lad has really got into football this season, both playing and watching and has loved going to the games, especially the Junior Robins room, where he can meet a couple of players pre-match, and there's loads to do in there too.
Caroline and the rest of the team have done a cracking job in there.

It's good to hear that the kids are enjoying going to games, they are the future.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 13:17:02 »

I like watching football.

I like being a supporter of my home town football club.

I like having a season ticket.

I like going to away games.

The crapness or otherwise of STFC on or off the pitch doesn’t influence the above.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 13:18:02 »

We’ve all been like you🤣

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Friday, January 5, 2024, 14:10:20 »

I like watching football.

I like being a supporter of my home town football club.

I like having a season ticket.

I like going to away games.

The crapness or otherwise of STFC on or off the pitch doesn’t influence the above.
I'm the same (apart from the season ticket)

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: