Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Notts County v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 19202 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 11:27:18 »

I very rarely comment on referees as they are generally as bad as each other at this level but one thing I did find interesting from last night was how he managed RHM in the second half. It was evident that he was like a coiled spring of frustration and being on a yellow card was close to getting his marching orders. I guess Drysdale had been watching the Rugby World Cup, as at one stage he called over FBT and I assume advised that RHM was on his last warning and told him to calm down. I'm not sure this is in the football referees handbook, but it was an interesting piece of officiating.
Well pointed out.  An interesting example of intelligent refereeing.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 11:37:28 »

Bit harsh. Not saying we don't need a couple but,Ward L,Cain,Kinsella, RHM,Shade,Clayton,Genesini and Minturn is a pretty decent back up group I think

I'm counting Genesini in the first XI because Uwakwe looks pretty poor to me.  RHM still looks raw to me, not someone you bank on, but always on the edge of promise I guess.  Clayton yes.  Seen nothing from Kinsella yet and Cain hasn't shwon he can do it over a period of games.  Ward has looked no better than Minturn who has looked youthful - OK but still exposed in this set-up.  Nothing there for me that challenges the first team that much, after Clayton, and certaionly nothing that a Top 3 team would come hunting for. 

Shade is shit.
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:04:09 »

One other frustrating event from last night was the assistant referee with the dual coloured flag. Whenever there was an offside or possible offside he'd wait seemingly for ages before raising his flag. A couple of times the ref had blown before he indicated the offside. God, I have known juries who have made quicker decisions.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:16:26 »

I'm counting Genesini in the first XI because Uwakwe looks pretty poor to me.  RHM still looks raw to me, not someone you bank on, but always on the edge of promise I guess.  Clayton yes.  Seen nothing from Kinsella yet and Cain hasn't shwon he can do it over a period of games.  Ward has looked no better than Minturn who has looked youthful - OK but still exposed in this set-up.  Nothing there for me that challenges the first team that much, after Clayton, and certaionly nothing that a Top 3 team would come hunting for. 

Shade is shit.
Shade was good yesterday I thought. Uwakwe looks low on confidence but there may be a player in there. I think Kinsella has been okay and Cain seems to be improving but still lacking real game changing quality on the bench. The back up players are okay but in most cases are inferior to those they would be replacing on the pitch.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:21:34 »

We have a team built for one formation only, which isn't a problem in some respects. But if we need to alter the approach for any reason we can't.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:24:37 »

and the lack of boxes.

Had around 10 boxes, enough isn't it?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:25:40 »

Had around 10 boxes, enough isn't it?

Oh has it? Been a while since I've been and can't see them in photos or on tv.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:28:59 »

I'm counting Genesini in the first XI because Uwakwe looks pretty poor to me.  RHM still looks raw to me, not someone you bank on, but always on the edge of promise I guess.  Clayton yes.  Seen nothing from Kinsella yet and Cain hasn't shwon he can do it over a period of games.  Ward has looked no better than Minturn who has looked youthful - OK but still exposed in this set-up.  Nothing there for me that challenges the first team that much, after Clayton, and certainly nothing that a Top 3 team would come hunting for. 

Shade is shit.
Fair enough but it is League 2. I doubt many League 2 teams' non starters would interest the top 3 to be honest.I meant Lewis Ward , Minturn's  better than the other Ward.All those mentioned are decent back up players at this level for me.Cain in my opinion has done that anyway. RHM is what he is, a good back up striker to bring on as an impact sub and I think most teams in this league would have him.Kinsella has looked decent too and will probably replace Khan when he's away,not too worried about that. Shade is frustrating,yes but "shit" may be a bit harsh.Of course,we need recruits though.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:30:47 »

I'd be far more comfortable with the side with Clayton LCB and FBT LWB
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:30:54 »

Oh has it? Been a while since I've been and can't see them in photos or on tv.
They're at the back of the family stand (behind the the end where all the goals were scored)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 12:48:23 »

I'd be far more comfortable with the side with Clayton LCB and FBT LWB

Agreed.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 13:12:02 »

Fair enough but it is League 2. I doubt many League 2 teams' non starters would interest the top 3 to be honest.I meant Lewis Ward , Minturn's  better than the other Ward.All those mentioned are decent back up players at this level for me.Cain in my opinion has done that anyway. RHM is what he is, a good back up striker to bring on as an impact sub and I think most teams in this league would have him.Kinsella has looked decent too and will probably replace Khan when he's away,not too worried about that. Shade is frustrating,yes but "shit" may be a bit harsh.Of course,we need recruits though.

And my entire thesis is based on the premise - are Swindon a top three side?

It's against that context that I rate them all - not improvement over last season (one of our worst in our history, position based).  Cain is at least a back-up now, rather than being relied upon for the first XI.  Minturn may go on to be an OK player, but I'd be worried if we had to use him as a first choice all season for example - if we did, it leads to another season like last season.

I think Flynn has done a very good job on limited resources - not least having Wakeling sold while he was publicly trying to tell everyone we were looking for players.  I'd imagine he would be very useful right about now, rather than having to play a sick player.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Thursday, October 5, 2023, 06:09:28 »

Here's a question. I know Dokes and FBT have been a bit 'dynamic' positionally since the start of the season.

But has he started to appear up top more frequently in the last few games, or have I just noticed it more?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Thursday, October 5, 2023, 08:20:55 »

Just watched the RHM penalty shout back for the first time. Their number 4 goes right through the back of him. Penalty all day long. Can't understand how the ref and lino haven't given it between them. Would it have changed the overall outcome of the game? Quite possibly.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Thursday, October 5, 2023, 08:23:05 »

Just watched the RHM penalty shout back for the first time. Their number 4 goes right through the back of him. Penalty all day long. Can't understand how the ref and lino haven't given it between them. Would it have changed the overall outcome of the game? Quite possibly.

Maybe we should ask for the match to be replayed Wink
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: