Poll
Question: Who gets your vote?  (Voting closed: Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 15:51:50)
Murphy Mahoney - 2 (3.2%)
Frazer Blake-Tracy - 5 (8.1%)
Tom Brewitt - 15 (24.2%)
Udoka Godwin-Malife - 29 (46.8%)
Bennn Ward (sub 45) - 0 (0%)
Remeao Hutton - 1 (1.6%)
George McEachran (sub 78) - 1 (1.6%)
Saidou Khan - 6 (9.7%)
Dan Kemp - 0 (0%)
Charlie Austin - 0 (0%)
Jacob Wakeling (sub 45) - 0 (0%)
Jake Young (on 45) - 1 (1.6%)
Tariq Uwakwe (on 45) - 0 (0%)
Liam Kinsella (on 78) - 2 (3.2%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crewe MoM Thread  (Read 1967 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, August 14, 2023, 10:56:25 »

Take Brewitt’s rough defenderness and splice it with Conroy’s ball playing ability and you have a fairly decent CB.

Who would unlikely be playing at this level, ultimately ball playing defenders (along with ball playing keepers) don't stay in the 4th tier.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, August 14, 2023, 11:01:11 »

Who would unlikely be playing at this level, ultimately ball playing defenders (along with ball playing keepers) don't stay in the 4th tier.

Well, yeah exactly

Which is why at this level they tend to either be one or the other & fans should probably factor that into their perception of said player.

I know the games changed (a lot) but our fans would absolutely go in hard on OOOH! Shaun Taylor over his sub par footballing ability if he was playing in 2023 (at his prime age not his current age obviously)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, August 14, 2023, 12:29:27 »

I thought Brewitt had a solid game.

Think how people rate Brewitt depend on what they expect from him. He’s probably a lot more blood & guts and a bit less football than what’s in vogue currently for defenders. Even at this level - the expectations have gone from effort & commitment but a bit shit to being technically gifted footballers. All over the pitch.

He’s good at what he’s good at & not good at what he’s not good at.
For me he’s like a reverse Conroy. Take Brewitt’s rough defenderness and splice it with Conroy’s ball playing ability and you have a fairly decent CB.

For me it's not expecting Brewitt to be a good passer of the ball or to run with it at his feet, it's expecting him to be in the right positions to intervene defensively and choose the times to intervene correctly - I think that's the big difference between him and a Gordon Greer (or Shaun Taylor). It's not quite as simple as "stopper" or "ball playing defender" I don't think.

Defensive positioning is also the main problem with Hutton for my money - although I struggle work out whether it's his own lack of ability or managers asking him to play so very far forward because of his attacking threat. Probably a bit of both.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, August 14, 2023, 12:34:32 »

Khan. I was very pleased he dominated midfield and didn't make any mistakes that I remember

ust be the oldest
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, August 14, 2023, 13:10:25 »

Well, yeah exactly

Which is why at this level they tend to either be one or the other & fans should probably factor that into their perception of said player.

I know the games changed (a lot) but our fans would absolutely go in hard on OOOH! Shaun Taylor over his sub par footballing ability if he was playing in 2023 (at his prime age not his current age obviously)

Thing is we are a 4th tier club on merit at the moment and thus at best only likley to attract (hopefully the better quality) 4th tier players, we may wave our winkles about re bigger crowds and be perceived as a bigger club, but we are where we are, just a fact of life.
DMC

« Reply #20 on: Monday, August 14, 2023, 15:25:26 »

For me it's not expecting Brewitt to be a good passer of the ball or to run with it at his feet, it's expecting him to be in the right positions to intervene defensively and choose the times to intervene correctly - I think that's the big difference between him and a Gordon Greer (or Shaun Taylor). It's not quite as simple as "stopper" or "ball playing defender" I don't think.

Defensive positioning is also the main problem with Hutton for my money - although I struggle work out whether it's his own lack of ability or managers asking him to play so very far forward because of his attacking threat. Probably a bit of both.
Based on the bollockings he was getting Saturday i would say it was his own lack of ability.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: