Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If you could buy only one album ever....  (Read 4352 times)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 19:39:30 »

Mine would either be The Holy Bible by the Manic Street Preachers, or Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, probably the Manics just come out on top for me but a tough choice.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 19:50:25 »

Playing in Bristol in July if you didn’t know.
I did not know that Glenn. I will investigate this further, thanks  Smiley

edit: sold out. Never mind...nice to know there are other people around with an impeccable taste in music Wink

edit 2: tickets available at the Troxy (never heard of it) London...may go for that... Hmmm
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 20:00:18 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 19:58:48 »

I did not know that Glenn. I will investigate this further, thanks  Smiley

edit: sold out. Never mind...nice to know there are other people around with an impeccable taste in music Wink

Cheesy

Didn’t realise it had sold out.
I will keep an eye out on re-sale websites for tickets, I’m on them daily anyway.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 20:24:13 »

NOW 40
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 20:45:24 »

Mine would either be The Holy Bible by the Manic Street Preachers, or Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, probably the Manics just come out on top for me but a tough choice.

That's er... two quite contrasting albums.

I saw the Manics do Holy Bible in full at Cardiff Castle a few years back. That is one dark fucking album.

Still struggling to answer the question myself. Lots of albums have a cracking half and a bad half (hello Hot Fuss), but trying to think of one which is perfect start to end. Rumours is obvious, but probably the right initial answer.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 21:16:03 »

50 cent

Get rich or die tryin

😮‍💨
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 21:34:32 »

That's er... two quite contrasting albums.

I saw the Manics do Holy Bible in full at Cardiff Castle a few years back. That is one dark fucking album.

Still struggling to answer the question myself. Lots of albums have a cracking half and a bad half (hello Hot Fuss), but trying to think of one which is perfect start to end. Rumours is obvious, but probably the right initial answer.

Yes it is a dark album, and yes definately two quite contrasting albums. I saw them do the Holy Bible in full (probably around the same time) at Brixton Academy.
swindon74

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 21:40:49 »

David Gray - white ladder

Supertramp - breakfast in America

Gorrilaz - plastic beach

Can’t decide

mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 16:49:16 »

Original Pirate Material by The Streets.

An absolute, pioneering masterpiece. I remember being a 16 year-old travelling on the school bus when Jo Whiley gave 'Has it come to this?' it's debut play on her breakfast show. The bus was usually pretty raucous but when it came on everyone listened. It was massively ahead of its time, blending garagey homemade beats with rap-esque vocals (Skinner cites Wu-Tang and Nas as big inspirations), a sound that many have tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to imitate since. He said he loved garage and hip-hop but that UK hip-hop often sounded like a poor imitation of American stuff, so wanted to make a UK version that was authentic to British culture. I was too young to go raving but it instantly captivated me and became even more relevant as I grew older and started to go out clubbing (n.b. 'Weak Become Heroes'). I love the anecdotes from his biography, such as making it on an IBM ThinkPad laptop and recording the vocals in a wardrobe with a duvet and mattress to reduce echo. It still sounds brilliant and cutting edge, over 20 years after release.

The 'difficult second album' was conquered by a masterpiece in storytelling that ran through the whole album, about losing £1,000 down the back of his TV. The third album was an absolute shambles (too much cocaine and money) but the two after had plenty of great tracks, arguably much more profound than his earlier stuff - n.b. Everything Is Borrowed, On The Edge of a Cliff, The Escapist, Blip on a Screen, Trying to Kill M.E. Additonally, the last album was recorded, mixed and mastered by Skinner, which very few, if any, artists are capable of or have attempted.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 17:11:41 »

Original Pirate Material by The Streets.

An absolute, pioneering masterpiece. I remember being a 16 year-old travelling on the school bus when Jo Whiley gave 'Has it come to this?' it's debut play on her breakfast show. The bus was usually pretty raucous but when it came on everyone listened. It was massively ahead of its time, blending garagey homemade beats with rap-esque vocals (Skinner cites Wu-Tang and Nas as big inspirations), a sound that many have tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to imitate since. He said he loved garage and hip-hop but that UK hip-hop often sounded like a poor imitation of American stuff, so wanted to make a UK version that was authentic to British culture. I was too young to go raving but it instantly captivated me and became even more relevant as I grew older and started to go out clubbing (n.b. 'Weak Become Heroes'). I love the anecdotes from his biography, such as making it on an IBM ThinkPad laptop and recording the vocals in a wardrobe with a duvet and mattress to reduce echo. It still sounds brilliant and cutting edge, over 20 years after release.

The 'difficult second album' was conquered by a masterpiece in storytelling that ran through the whole album, about losing £1,000 down the back of his TV. The third album was an absolute shambles (too much cocaine and money) but the two after had plenty of great tracks, arguably much more profound than his earlier stuff - n.b. Everything Is Borrowed, On The Edge of a Cliff, The Escapist, Blip on a Screen, Trying to Kill M.E. Additonally, the last album was recorded, mixed and mastered by Skinner, which very few, if any, artists are capable of or have attempted.

A really unique artist. It should be a bit cringe in a way but it isn't. Clever stuff.

Rob Harvey from one of my favourite bands, The Music, is a longtime collaborator of Mike's. The Music debut album was nearly my pick for this thread. Quality.
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 17:28:24 »

Power Corruption and lies - New Order

Violator - Depeche Mode
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #41 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 18:27:20 »

A really unique artist. It should be a bit cringe in a way but it isn't. Clever stuff.

Rob Harvey from one of my favourite bands, The Music, is a longtime collaborator of Mike's. The Music debut album was nearly my pick for this thread. Quality.

The Music are fucking excellent live. Love that album.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 18:45:07 »

The Music are fucking excellent live. Love that album.

Brilliant brilliant band. Saw them a few times and genuinely nothing quite like them. Gutted to miss the recent reunion.

Big in Japan!
Loobug

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 09:16:24 »

Today it's Kate Bush - hounds of love
Yesterday it was Mon Laferte -la trenza
Tomorrow I'm thinking it might be Young Disciples -road to freedom

Another vote for Hounds of Love here… and by co-incidence, I also got into music in my youth via Adam Ant..
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #44 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 10:42:14 »

Brilliant brilliant band. Saw them a few times and genuinely nothing quite like them. Gutted to miss the recent reunion.

Big in Japan!

I saw them at Cardiff Uni just before the 2nd album came out. Absolutely superb. If I remember correctly, they were decent footballers too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: