Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If you could buy only one album ever....  (Read 4349 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 12:45:04 »

From my youth Led Zep 2

Deuce - Rory Gallagher

Mr Lucky - John Lee Hooker

Bit more up to date Snow Patrol - Fallen Empires

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 12:58:38 »

Pretty obvious one for me:
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:05:12 »

The Stone Roses for me.

Honourable mentions for Definitely Maybe and AM,
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:07:04 »

I'm torn between Searching for the Young Soul Rebels and Blue Lines.

I don't think I can decide based on music so the Bristol City allegiances of certain members of Massive Attack probably swings it for Dexy's. And I'm very nostalgic for my memory of seeing the Geno video on Top of the Pops for the first time and being bowled over by it.

..never go back.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:08:27 »

Similarly to RobT, I discovered music when I was at a stage in my life that was a challenge. I'd moved up to Scotland as a shy, nervous kid but thankfully was able to make friends thanks to my love of football really - Swindon battling to get into the Premier league certainly helped as it peaked a lot of interest amongst a group of kids who mainly supported Rangers, Celtic, Hearts or Hibs.

Anyway, my group of friends (not the nerds, the cool kids or the sweaties) used to spend days playing Championship Manager, or on the N64. And whilst we would play we would listen, mainly to what my friends Dave or Alan would listen to. Both were 'indie' kids and I became mesmerised by the first Charlatans album, Stone Roses' Second Coming as well as Definitely Maybe. I got into live music off the back of buying Mosely Shoals by OCS, (Live at Stirling Castle - first taste of Buckfast!) Everything Must go by the Manics (First ear ringing experience at the Glasgow Barrowlands) as well as Change Giver by Shed Seven (also at the Barrowlands). Dookie by Green Day I think was the first album I ever bought.

There are loads of albums I've loved over the years but my school era is probably the one where if I play either of my albums I can close my eyes and be transported back to these times. That said, I went to see Shed Seven a few years back at Brixton Academy with Mrs Bob and it was such a brilliant, fun, singalong gig that I'm torn between 2 - A Maximum High by Shed Seven or the Stone Roses by the Stone Roses.

And so, based on the memories it gives me, old and new, i'm going for A Maximum High by Shed Seven

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:16:21 »

Today it's Kate Bush - hounds of love
Yesterday it was Mon Laferte -la trenza
Tomorrow I'm thinking it might be Young Disciples -road to freedom
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:21:58 »

Today it's Kate Bush - hounds of love
Yesterday it was Mon Laferte -la trenza
Tomorrow I'm thinking it might be Young Disciples -road to freedom

OK now I'm going to have Apparently Nothing running through my head all day.....

..never go back.
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:24:34 »

OK now I'm going to have Apparently Nothing running through my head all day.....

I once had carleen Anderson guest DJ at my club and she sang along to said tune live, I was stood next to her and had just her vocals in my headphones. It's one of life's moments I will never forget
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:32:25 »

I once had carleen Anderson guest DJ at my club and she sang along to said tune live, I was stood next to her and had just her vocals in my headphones. It's one of life's moments I will never forget

Did she live down in Brighton at any point? I'm sure she was vocal coaching at some university, that might have been Sussex. I love her voice. For years I'd tell people she was Bobby Byrd's daughter but it turns out he was her step dad (and James Brown was her Godfather).

..never go back.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:38:05 »

I'm torn between Searching for the Young Soul Rebels and Blue Lines.

I don't think I can decide based on music so the Bristol City allegiances of certain members of Massive Attack probably swings it for Dexy's. And I'm very nostalgic for my memory of seeing the Geno video on Top of the Pops for the first time and being bowled over by it.
Aah,the "new soul vision". Great album

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:43:46 »

Did she live down in Brighton at any point? I'm sure she was vocal coaching at some university, that might have been Sussex. I love her voice. For years I'd tell people she was Bobby Byrd's daughter but it turns out he was her step dad (and James Brown was her Godfather).
Yes at BIMM Viki Anderson is her mum, if you can get a copy of her recordings (message from a soul sister) they are amazing
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 13:45:59 »

XTC - Drums & Wires
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 16:01:54 »

'Oncle Jazz' by Men I Trust

Play it over and over and over... never tire of it...
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 19:18:16 »

I’m still struggling with this. Can I just ask. Although I’m only allowed to buy one, I can nick as many as I want, right?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, May 4, 2023, 19:34:00 »

'Oncle Jazz' by Men I Trust

Play it over and over and over... never tire of it...

Playing in Bristol in July if you didn’t know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: