Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Crawley pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 29310 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 11:28:40 »

Have we ever built a team around one player...? I can't think of an example.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 12:01:00 »

Hoddle?
Maybe accommodated is a better word than build in his case.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 12:10:35 »

Some of you have misinterpreted ‘build a team around a player’ I didn’t say we should, I didn’t name a player we should. I did mention Austin but that was in a sense of what has been mentioned on forums and social media. I said and ‘expansive’ build a team, in other words a nucleus of players, the ones we’ll retain. Some of you see only what you want to see.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 12:11:05 »

PDC built his team to very much get the best out of Matt Ritchie.
Maybe not specifically built around him but definitely did a lot to accommodate him.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 12:14:06 »

‘hopefully somehow most of them won’t be seen in a Town shirt again’

They won’t.

IMHO, they’re all good players, just not together in this team and is this league. Break ‘em up however and follow their career paths. They will eventually find their own levels and some may surprise us by going further up the pyramid in time, others disappear without a trace. Over the years we’ve seen players come in who turned out shit and stayed shit, others I’m sure whilst being shit here eventually came good elsewhere.

If as I hope, Morris knows who is staying and hopefully who is coming in or at least identified multiple targets to do so. An expansive ‘build a team around a player’ scenario.

Edit. I doubt Austin will the player we build a team around, could be wrong but I don’t think that’ll happen.

Well forgive me for thinking you were suggesting we build a team around a player!  Cheesy
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 12:43:50 »

Well forgive me for thinking you were suggesting we build a team around a player!  Cheesy

Forgiven. I’m good like that.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 12:51:22 »

Some of you have misinterpreted ‘build a team around a player’ I didn’t say we should, I didn’t name a player we should. I did mention Austin but that was in a sense of what has been mentioned on forums and social media. I said and ‘expansive’ build a team, in other words a nucleus of players, the ones we’ll retain. Some of you see only what you want to see.

I want the club to build a team around a decent goalkeeper, two towering centres halfs, a tough tackling midfielder and a decent centre forward. We have just have to find them then work out how to keep hold of them for more than a season!

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 13:16:25 »

does anyone remember the email to get a birthday put up on the scoreboard?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 13:26:21 »

Neither did I

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 13:30:49 »

does anyone remember the email to get a birthday put up on the scoreboard?

It’s in the FAQs

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2023/february/stfc-faqs/
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 13:41:15 »

I think there is a subtle difference between building a team around a player, or two, and extracting the best from a player or two.

Take us since January - Morris should have been more pragmatic.  Worry about the way he wants to play in the summer, or gradually adjust.  In the short term he was served one valuable asset - Austin.  He had two players who could feed Austin - Williams and Hutton.  He should have focused on how to get the ball to Austin, from those two players, in the right places and worked our play around that.  Didn't need to make us long ball, abandon all sense of passing, and we needed a way of scoring if Austin wasn't around.  But you do not ignore one of your best assets.  What would be bad, is to go and sign someone like Austin and then recruit the entire remainder of the team to feed just him.  You are then fucked if Austin gets injured and nobody else can play the same way as him.

MLS over here is a bit like that - the Designated Players are so much better that teams rely on them.  When they are not around, the team looks completely lost.

Hoddle tried to get the team to work with or without him - we played the same way when he was missing, dropping McLaren back.  He was so much better though that we did look a lot less effective without him,  In hindsight, he should probably have spent more time building out the squad to be ready for him not being there - but I guess we can forgive that given he did give us our only season in the top flight.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 1, 2023, 13:50:35 by RobertT » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 13:47:23 »

Quote from: Private Fraser

thanks. much appreciated
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 13:49:20 »

It's hard to see past a lacklustre meaningless end of season stalemate played in front of a soulless County ground with murmurs of discontent!

Swindon 1 Crawley 1 Att: 7,920 (165 creepies)  

So pretty much like every game this season?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 13:51:11 »

So pretty much like every game this season?

That's a good summary😀

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, May 1, 2023, 15:26:51 »

Should be a great atmosphere, Crawley have nearly filled 3 coaches  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: