Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Youth football  (Read 7851 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 21:02:28 »

Well, it seems when you think you can coach, and then your wife needles you to volunteer for your sons football team, you somehow end up running a team of 12/13 year olds.  On the whole, they are a few years behind the UK, and I think some of them are probably there to get them out of their parents hair, but they are all very willing.

In an attempt to at least do a half decent job, I immersed myself in all sorts of coaching manuals.

BUT - they cannot defend for toffee.  Keep getting beat straight down the middle by through balls and straight runs.  Plus they do that bunching thing young school kids are prone to do.

Anyone got any decent tips on how to coach young kids how to defend as a team?

By the way - their last season they lost every game, so even my two losses in a row is not quite sacking material, yet.  Won't be long though, bloody inexperienced Brit thinking they knew better, what were the Board thinking.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 21:16:50 »

Are you Jody Morris?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 21:18:08 »

Jody Morris would tower over these lads.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 22:02:25 by RobertT » Logged
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 21:27:29 »

zonal marking - works all the time ( or bribe the fuckers with burgers)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 21:46:52 »

Only answer is to blame the man who recruited the players & sign a 28 year old 6ft 6 African player whose Passport says he’s only 10.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 20:23:27 »

Well, it seems when you think you can coach, and then your wife needles you to volunteer for your sons football team, you somehow end up running a team of 12/13 year olds.  On the whole, they are a few years behind the UK, and I think some of them are probably there to get them out of their parents hair, but they are all very willing.

In an attempt to at least do a half decent job, I immersed myself in all sorts of coaching manuals.

BUT - they cannot defend for toffee.  Keep getting beat straight down the middle by through balls and straight runs.  Plus they do that bunching thing young school kids are prone to do.

Anyone got any decent tips on how to coach young kids how to defend as a team?

By the way - their last season they lost every game, so even my two losses in a row is not quite sacking material, yet.  Won't be long though, bloody inexperienced Brit thinking they knew better, what were the Board thinking.

Play 4-4-1, use the extra player to man mark the opposition's main striker.  It'll help stop the striker, but keep a simple 'two banks of four' for your players to get used to.

You could try getting one CB to play deeper to deal with balls over the top, allowing the other CB to attack the ball or run with the player. The full backs will need to tuck in a bit to accommodate this.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 20:32:13 »

Not going to recommend your patented 2-3-5 Donkey?
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 4, 2023, 09:03:31 »

For the getting beaten through the middle thing, I'd repeatedly run a drill where you ping balls from the offensive half into the defenders, no opponents to begin with, and coach them on how to get the ball under control and distributed out wide. Then add on-rushing attackers (who set off when the coach plays the big through ball) to simulate some pressure, then work to having an attacker or two among the defenders, at first only at walking pace then progressing to full pressure.

For adding width in posession, mark the two touchlines with lines of cones spanning the whole length of the pitch, about 1m/2m from the line (depending on the size of your pitch) and only attacking full-backs and/or wingers are allowed in it - no defensive opposition yet. Start the play out from a goal kick to the CBs, who then pass wide and let the full backs/wingers work it up the wing. Wingers/full backs must stay in the coned areas and the idea is to build the habit of playing it out wide, and for the wide players to stay wide with a final ball into the box for the attackers (uncontested at first, then with static/low opposition (shadowing but not tackling), then defending the crosses fully).
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 4, 2023, 09:06:11 by mystical_goat » Logged
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 4, 2023, 09:53:14 »

Also I would identify one of your confident mobile lads capable of playing in defence (ideally centre) and work with him on dropping in and marshalling the back line.  If you have somebody telling the backline to move up as a unit, but then he drops back in a few yards on GK's, free kicks and any long balls, it should mean that he should pick up on most runners, and also allow him to deal with the first ball or striker and give the rest of the defence time to recover and assist.

When I was running Nythe FC for a few years we had a similar issue at the back.  The first thing I did was identify the most mobile player capable of organising and being vocal, this happened to be the number 10 who was the captain.  When I asked him to do me a favour and play at the back for a few games just to get some confidence and organisation into the backline, he happily obliged (although he preferred playing futher forward).  The look the team gave me when i did it was funny to see, like I was mad.  Also got some grief from the parents on the sidelines.

That season, he ended up playing there all season.  We finished runners up and won the cup, at the point I took them over, this team were the whipping boys.  The lad I moved back there was POTS and ended up playing at the back or DM for most of his future playing days, and played at Wilts/Helenic level i think.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 4, 2023, 10:11:03 »

Not going to recommend your patented 2-3-5 Donkey?

It's a wonderful formation.  Too Cool

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 4, 2023, 12:26:02 »

Thank you for the suggestions.

Last Thursday I went back to basics, assuming that most of these kids have not actually had any basic skills training (which some most certainly haven't).  Had them walking a ball between attackers in front of a back line and getting the backline to have a single player engage then the rest cover and become more narrow to the ball.  I will use a few of the above (not the 2-3-5 unfortunately) - I do have one of the newer kids who is half decent on the ball, has some size (none of them can head a ball) and tackle.  I'll ear mark him to play as the "free" defender and try and get him to talk to the others (another issue - nobody talks, unless it's to moan at the ref).
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 4, 2023, 12:29:58 »

Thank you for the suggestions.

Last Thursday I went back to basics, assuming that most of these kids have not actually had any basic skills training (which some most certainly haven't).  Had them walking a ball between attackers in front of a back line and getting the backline to have a single player engage then the rest cover and become more narrow to the ball.  I will use a few of the above (not the 2-3-5 unfortunately) - I do have one of the newer kids who is half decent on the ball, has some size (none of them can head a ball) and tackle.  I'll ear mark him to play as the "free" defender and try and get him to talk to the others (another issue - nobody talks, unless it's to moan at the ref).

He doesn't even need to talk as much, just direct them out when you clear (usually to around the halfway line) and then be prepared to drop off 5-10 yards everytime the ball comes back.  As long as he can look along the line and shout OUT, that will be enough to start off with Cheesy

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 4, 2023, 13:27:21 »

it's a work in progress - I've been having to walk them up on the sideline myself most of the time!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 17:42:43 »

Update for you all, as I am sure many of you were riveted to see if I got the sack before Sandro, we had out 3rd game this past weekend (fortunately at the same time as the Barrow game!).

Now, the first two games were a 5 and 7 goal drubbing respectively.

We switched to a 5-3-2 and the lad identified above was moved to play Sweeper (old skool) for the minutes he was on the pitch (have to rotate everyone).

We also have one small kid who is Tazmanian Devil - technique is under development but he does love nipping at ankles/shins/testicles - anything he can kick really.  Had him and my son rotate the holding midfield role with a briefing to run themselves into the ground creating mayhem.

We lost!  BUT, only 2-1, conceding the winner with 2 minutes to go from a 50/50 Penalty decision (handball from a ball that bounced up).

I know, it's a results game, but the kids were actually very pleased with themselves.  We had two really good practice sessions in the week, working on a lot of the basics and defending skills.

Tough game away this weekend (some of the teams we play have paid for coaches!), but then 2 or 3 games after that against teams not too dissimilar to ours.  Maybe we get that elusive win.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 17, 2023, 17:45:21 by RobertT » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 17:54:20 »

progress.

that's what it's about, development.

and winning. Rob out!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: