Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 28148 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 11:12:03 »

We need that mix of youth and experience, the youth need to be players that can be developed as well though,  we are a selling club and always will be but we need to keep a squad, not sell the prospects as soon as another club knocks on the door, saving a few thousand pounds about.

I would like to see Clem come out and discuss this season, but that wont be until the season is over, but he likes to stay quiet and in the background, but I think now is the time for him to speak up (he's capable of using Zoom from aussie)

The club wants to sell season tickets for next season and at the moment they are not convincing those that are on the fence that they know what is needed.

There also needs to be changes in the backroom, not just SDM, there is no permanent club secretary, media officer seems to be lacking, there seems to be a lack of people in the other positions, it all needs to be sorted so the club is run correctly rather than cutting corners to save a few quid so it can be spent elsewhere.

I'd like to hear the plan for next season, is SDM still going to be signing the players from his spreadsheet or will they be listening to Morris and getting the type of players needed to build a squad he wants ?

The trouble is if Clem still wants to go with his moneyball plan with SDM.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 11:58:21 »

Given all these late goals, we need to get them up and down the hills of Wiltshire to build some fitness in the pre season, a la Macari.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:01:57 »

Given all these late goals, we need to get them up and down the hills of Wiltshire to build some fitness in the pre season, a la Macari.

Go back 37/38 years ago I'm pretty certain they would have been running along the Ridgeway early this morning🤣

So, give no fucks
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:05:23 »

That won't sell tickets for the late promotion charge dead rubbers we've got until the end of the season!

😂😂 very true. It’s a catch 22 I guess, when he speaks, he comes across awfully. Like, shocking -fans get annoyed. And when he doesn’t speak, fans annoyed by the silence 😭😭😭

defo need some clarification as to what the fuck has happened this season though, it’s been a shitshow and the January window was a double shit show.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:07:14 »

Go back 37/38 years ago I'm pretty certain they would have been running along the Ridgeway early this morning🤣

Perfect!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:41:07 »

Don't think that wholesale changes are required.
Depends on who leaves of course and the squad does need trimming down, so would expect a few of the fringe players to go.
There is enough raw material for Morris & Brand to work with and to make them suffer in pre season.

Not sure I agree with that, it’s the old adage that the league table doesn’t lie. We’re heading for a bottom half finish in league 2 which suggests the majority of our squad are bottom half league 2 in quality.

Assuming Austin calls it quits McEachran and FBT (at left back not centre back) apart I don’t think any of the other players are good enough or consistent enough to start every week.

We need 7 or 8 starters for next season to turn things around, thats pretty wholesale. Hutton apart I don’t think I’d offer any of our out of contract players a new deal so that we can free up space. I think we need to accept this squad and the majority of players are actually just very average league 2 players. We overrate a lot of our players based on a few occasional flashes of potential amongst regular poor to average performances. Even Clayton and Wakeling, our much fabled Crown Jewels are they really good enough to start every week at the moment? I’m not sure they are.

Assuming we go back to trying to be a football club with the aim of winning games next season we need to clear as much space for better players as possible over the summer.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:46:15 »

Am I missing something? A fair few of the players being dismissed as surplus to requirements will still be under contract next season. All very well saying bin them off - but to who?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:49:47 »

Am I missing something? A fair few of the players being dismissed as surplus to requirements will still be under contract next season. All very well saying bin them off - but to who?
Indeed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:50:41 »

They become squad players not starters. With the exception of McEachran and Hutton (I doubt he’d stay anyway) I don’t think it’s controversial to say let all our out of contract players go. That should free up sufficient space to bring in some regular starters.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:55:50 »

Will see what happens, but the clues on a decent rebuild usually shows by late May. Leave the recruitment late then it's the scraps other clubs don't want.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:56:42 »

But they would still be on the payroll. And we’ve got a big squad now.  If we want better quality they will cost. Maybe the reason we will probably lose Austin/Williams.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 12:57:23 »

If there's nothing interest in a few of the players not wanted there's always the option to terminate the contracts if all parties agree.

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 13:02:52 »

But they would still be on the payroll. And we’ve got a big squad now.  If we want better quality they will cost. Maybe the reason we will probably lose Austin/Williams.
There’s about 11 out of contract and l can’t see Adeloye or Aguiar being here next season one way or another. So that would give headroom. I’ve no problem with Darcy, Shade etc being bit part players but in a decent league 2 team they shouldn’t be getting the game time they do.

If the majority of in contract starters this season become squad players next season and we bring in new regulars that would substantially increase our squad depth.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 13:07:15 »

I can’t imagine we are in a financial position to start tearing up contracts at the end of the season.

Nor would the players accept it.

Hell, we don’t even know if some of our players have another year left or not.

Fact is, we should be planning next seasons squad now. Get those offers on the table now…
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 13:14:59 by DiV » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 13:17:01 »

It should be even easier to get the contracts on the table now we know what league we will be in next season!

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: