Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 28830 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, March 18, 2023, 19:21:22 »

On the whole, I think we have our 'squad players' for next year and not much more...

I would keep:

Ward (if he counts!) - Solid inexpensive backup at this level.
Hutton - Decent sub for next season.
Clayton - Something to work with but shocking today.
Brewitt - Decent versatile squad player for next year. Not sure he was at fault for a goal today.
Minturn - Keep but maybe a National League loan to go and play 30+ games.
FBT - Starting XI. First choice LB for next year, or left of a back three. Not a centre back.
Lavinier - Worthwhile utility player.
Cain - Could be a good squad player.
Darcy - A spare #10 on the bench. No more than a squad player.
McEachran - Starting XI. Quality player. Must keep.
Kahn - Good midfield wildcard.
Williams - Starting XI. Divides opinion but as a #10 at this level, alongside some steel, he is quality.
Shade - Flashes of quality, flashes of lobotomy. Option from the bench.
RHM - A good attacking option off the bench.
Austin - Starting XI. If he is happy to stay, we'd be mad not to try. If both he and Williams leave it will say something about ambition.

That makes 4 of the starting XI and 11 squad players.

On that basis we are after at least:

1xGK (Over 25, at least 100 EFL appearances), 1xRB, 2xCB (One 6ft 4in, over 28 years old with 200+ EFL appearances), 1xLB, 1xDM (A hard tackling midfield leader with 200+ EFL appearances), 1xWinger (an exciting, bums off seats, beat your man and whip it in maverick), 2xCF (including 1x6ft 3in back to goal target man.)

That makes 24 players. Round out with a couple of the yoof.

Get rid:

Iandolo, Baudry, Tomlinson (too injury prone), Harries, Devine (too injury prone), Kadji, Roberts, Adeloye, Jephcott, Aguiar

EDIT- I forgot Wakeling, who is filed under 'keep'.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 18, 2023, 20:17:52 by Mooneyraker » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, March 18, 2023, 19:42:05 »

Probably about right and shows what a piss poor job of recruitment we’ve done. I’d say it’s time for Williams to go as well, for what it would probably cost keep him I don’t think he contributes enough.

The only 2 I’d definitely start next season are the 2 Ralph didn’t sign in January, Austin and McEachran. Clayton seems well regarded by many but not even convinced he’s up to it yet as he’s a part of an awful defence.
kaufman

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, March 18, 2023, 19:50:27 »

Hutton will be playing in L1 next season judging by the amount of rumours and interest he’s attracted.
In fact quite a few of this squad will either thrive with us next season or go on to do well with other clubs next year.
Morris and especially Brand must see a bright future and surely would have been given reassurances but they’ve also been hired because of their development skills with younger players.
An interesting preseason for sure and M&B will feel the pressure.
This group of players just need a rest and the Lindsey reign kicked out them.
As mentioned above, a season wasted
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 18, 2023, 19:56:01 by kaufman » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, March 18, 2023, 20:14:43 »

Quote from: Posh Red

I guess the question is would players like Clayton, Khan & Wakeling have been better with some more experience around them, personally I think so.

yeah it's a fair point, agreed
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, March 18, 2023, 20:19:20 »

That's my view. Sprinkle a bit of experience and quality in there and I think it will raise the level across the board.

I neither think we want nor need a wholesale clear out.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, March 18, 2023, 21:09:26 »

To some extent budgets will impact - we may not be able to offload some of those on 2 year deals, nor pay McEachran and Williams enough to outbid other clubs.
 Some may not want to be here - in which case we need to move them on, and of course Morris/Brand will no doubt have views on whether some are wanted or not.
Subject to the above, I agree with many of Moneyraker’s assessments apart from
I would get rid of both Darcy - lightweight, pulls out of tackles and poor decision making, and Khan - always a yellow or red card waiting to happen,
I would keep Iandolo as I think his versatility is useful, although he is injury prone, which counts against him.
One thing we need is more physicality - so we are able to defend set pieces better and not be outmuscled in midfield by some teams.
The goalkeeper position is interesting - I suspect the current Ward situation would be unblocked very quickly if Brynn were injured or sent off.
Next season, if we want a keeper who is comfortable with the ball at his feet, then Ward is back up at best. Brynn is currently suffering from having an unstable defence (changing game by game) and no dominant centre half in the back 4/5 in front of him.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 09:38:55 »

Don't think that wholesale changes are required.
Depends on who leaves of course and the squad does need trimming down, so would expect a few of the fringe players to go.
There is enough raw material for Morris & Brand to work with and to make them suffer in pre season.

In terms of what's required, then that would be a backbone or spine.
So, as a minimum, a GK, one destructive CM and one that can run with the ball from central positions, a mobile centre forward that can win headers in both boxes and a flair player or two with pace, wide MF or forward.
Age doesn't matter, but a minimum of 100 games league experience preferred.

And just to keep Jimmy happy, any new arrivals should be a minimum of 6'6" in height.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 09:54:12 »

Depends on who leaves of course and the squad does need trimming down, so would expect a few of the fringe players to go.
There is enough raw material for Morris & Brand to work with and to make them suffer in pre season.

So, as a minimum, a GK, one destructive CM and one that can run with the ball from central positions, a mobile centre forward that can win headers in both boxes and a flair player or two with pace, wide MF or forward.

And just to keep Jimmy happy, any new arrivals should be a minimum of 6'6" in height.

Agree with all of that really. We need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater - ship out a few of the fringe guys where we can, add some players that can enforce their will on the game (regardless of age) and lead the side.

There are probably 15 guys in this squad who I'd be happy to see in our 23 next season - but they're mostly as squad players, so the ones that are brought in need to be the leaders.

If we're breaking it down:

No chance of keeping: Brynn

Keep if we can: Hutton, Clayton, Tomlinson (fitness permitting), Brewitt, FBT, Lavinier, McEachran, Williams, Khan, Austin, RHM, Wakeling

Don't mind too much either way: Brann, Devine, Minturn, Iandolo, Darcy, Cain, Shade

Get rid if we can: Harries, Aguiar, Roberts, Adeloye, Massey

Already gone/loan returns: Baudry, Brennan, Kadji, Jephcott
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 09:57:32 by Nemo » Logged
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 10:15:02 »

I think Hutton, Williams, Adeloye, RHM, Austin, Iandolo all get sold/turn down deals

Darcy, Cain, Devine (too much of a risk) Aguiar, Massey, Roberts can all go imo, no real loss

Not sure if Tomlinson is jinxed or made of glass? Played 40 games in 20/21 season for Eastleigh.. I’d keep anyway, local lad and fan and all that.

Be good to hear from our Technical director/Director of football as to what the plans are…..
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 10:19:06 »

Would be fine to see Williams go. For a player of his pedigree, I genuinely feel that most the time he looks like a bog standard L2 midfielder. It’s strange as I could see his style of play working much better in L1 and having more success there. In L2, he is often anonymous in games and shows very little signs of a player who has played at a higher level. I assume he’s on a decent chunk down here, and if so, he’s certainly not justifying it.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 10:35:58 »

I guess you don't see height as an issue then Bob and prefer the smaller player who can't deal with set pieces in either box🤔

So, give no fucks
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 10:43:07 »

I guess you don't see height as an issue then Bob and prefer the smaller player who can't deal with set pieces in either box🤔

I think you need a good mix, let’s be fair you wouldn’t turn down a Messi or even a Dennis Wise type player, but you would need a couple of big lads in there too.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 10:48:41 »

I think you need a good mix, let’s be fair you wouldn’t turn down a Messi or even a Dennis Wise type player, but you would need a couple of big lads in there too.

Agree that we need a mix and I'm only talking about a big centre half who is vocal and can organise, a centre forward who can hold up play and cause a threat and bully the opposition defenders along with some physicality in midfield mixed with young skilfull players who can move the ball at pace.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 11:12:32 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 11:04:31 »

I think Hutton, Williams, Adeloye, RHM, Austin, Iandolo all get sold/turn down deals

Darcy, Cain, Devine (too much of a risk) Aguiar, Massey, Roberts can all go imo, no real loss

Not sure if Tomlinson is jinxed or made of glass? Played 40 games in 20/21 season for Eastleigh.. I’d keep anyway, local lad and fan and all that.

Be good to hear from our Technical director/Director of football as to what the plans are…..

I couldn’t care less that Tomlinson is a local lad. We need players that can play week in week out, if he can’t stay fit he is no different to Devine.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 11:08:03 »

That won't sell tickets for the late promotion charge dead rubbers we've got until the end of the season!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: