Poll
Question: Who gets your vote?  (Voting closed: Friday, March 17, 2023, 21:41:58)
Sol Brynn - 1 (2.8%)
Marcel Lavinier (sub 73) - 1 (2.8%)
Tom Clayton - 4 (11.1%)
Tom Brewitt - 7 (19.4%)
Remeao Hutton - 1 (2.8%)
George McEachran - 8 (22.2%)
Jonny Williams (sub 78) - 9 (25%)
Ronan Darcy - 2 (5.6%)
Jacob Wakeling - 0 (0%)
Luke Jephcott (sub 73) - 0 (0%)
Tyrese Shade (sub 73) - 0 (0%)
Charlie Austin (on 73) - 1 (2.8%)
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (on 73) - 0 (0%)
Harrison Minturn (on 73) - 0 (0%)
Jake Cain (on 78) - 2 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall v Swindon MoM Thread  (Read 5215 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 14:37:57 »

Yeah several of us have suggested similar mate.

As you rightly state McKirdy and DJ were the only 2 players this century that I can remember got the ball and ran at defences and got the crowd on their feet thinking something was going to happen.

I know its nostalgia but players like that were much pore prevalent years ago, its like that sort of thing is frowned upon with new tactics of possession above all else, players are too scared to lose possession rather than just going for the juguler.

Bobby Barnes, Don Rodgers, Ian Miller, Mark Walters etc etc who all when they got the ball there was a buzz going around the ground of anticipation.

I miss that too.

Very true!

Nicky Summerbee and Fitzroy could have a go too...

I miss that..

Clems Army!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 16:42:46 »

under Morris we are playing better football than under Lindsey but its not quite there yet, I just dont think we have the right quality player to fit his system though.

But there is the quandary, are our notoriously patient, tolerant and understanding fans going to tolerate another 11 games of square pegs in round holes. There is definitely something there, but so many players are being made to look at best bang average and at worse pretty crap by the system we are playing them in.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 17:01:27 »

But there is the quandary, are our notoriously patient, tolerant and understanding fans going to tolerate another 11 games of square pegs in round holes. There is definitely something there, but so many players are being made to look at best bang average and at worse pretty crap by the system we are playing them in.

I am not sure they fit any other system any better though.

Play wide with wingers? Nope, Hutton maybe, but nobody else is a good old fashioned wide player.

Play direct? No, Austin isn't much a target man and nobody else even looks capable of winning a header upfront from our options.

Play aggressive? No - midfield is full of tiny technical players who like to pop little passes around.

Play with pace? - No, nobody looks much quick in the team, so no real ability to play with a Liverpool of the past few seasons style of high pace/press.

We have 4 left backs (all out), we have at least three Number 10 style midfielders, probably more, and not a single holding one.  We don't even have much of a box to box type of midfielder, maybe Khan?

We have no wide forwards of any great consistency, they are all through the middle - a couple of poachers, one random type and a willing player in Wakeling, plus Adeloye (no idea what he is, but good enough is not one of them).

You can probably pop 11 decent enough players on the pitch, but it's a real struggle to fit them to a system that does much more than Morris has them doing already.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 17:04:44 »

Play wide with wingers? Nope, Hutton maybe, but nobody else is a good old fashioned wide player.

Play direct? No, Austin isn't much a target man and nobody else even looks capable of winning a header upfront from our options.

Play aggressive? No - midfield is full of tiny technical players who like to pop little passes around.

Play with pace? - No, nobody looks much quick in the team, so no real ability to play with a Liverpool of the past few seasons style of high pace/press.

We have 4 left backs (all out), we have at least three Number 10 style midfielders, probably more, and not a single holding one.  We don't even have much of a box to box type of midfielder, maybe Khan?

We have no wide forwards of any great consistency, they are all through the middle - a couple of poachers, one random type and a willing player in Wakeling, plus Adeloye (no idea what he is, but good enough is not one of them).

You can probably pop 11 decent enough players on the pitch, but it's a real struggle to fit them to a system that does much more than Morris has them doing already.

I mean we could just trying going forward with the ball and defending set pieces - that would be a good start.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 17:08:27 »

Hasn't that been what we are trying to do, going forward.  It seems we've gone forwards a little more often with Morris, but we've focused on the middle and going through the lines.  It's still ponderous at times, but less so than before.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 17:12:26 »

We have 4 left backs (all out), we have at least three Number 10 style midfielders, probably more, and not a single holding one.  We don't even have much of a box to box type of midfielder, maybe Khan?

This hits the nail on the head for me. Individually I don't think we have recruited badly. More hits than misses, even if the hits aren't spectacular. However, the overall construction of the squad is downright laughable, from the back up keeper situation to every position further up the pitch than that!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 17:40:17 »

We've done this bit *in small patches* a few times under Morris - the bit after the triple sub before we scored the equaliser vs Carlisle is a good example. Wakeling, RHM and Shade are all pretty quick. Earlier on in the season we scored quite a few goals with mostly Gladwin playing through balls for Wakeling to run onto. This style of play really does sideline Austin/Jephcott though.

Agree with your general point of having too many of the same kinds of player though.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 18:01:26 »

And whose fault is that?

Lindsey, that’s who. ‘I prefer small, technical players’.

The fucking pillock.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 18:02:53 »

And whose fault is that?

Lindsey, that’s who. ‘I prefer small, technical players’.

The fucking pillock.

Not absolving Lindsey, but there was a lot of noise about "playing the right way" from above his level, from Clem downwards. I'm pretty sure they were all aligned last summer on the type of players they wanted to bring in, even if specific targets might have differed.

There definitely seems to be more... variety of thought on that topic now.

Although McEachran is a small, technical player - but he puts himself about plenty. It's not just a question of physical size or Dylan Kadji and Tyrese Adeloye would have been great acquisitions!
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 18:05:10 by Nemo » Logged
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 18:14:52 »

Very true!

Nicky Summerbee and Fitzroy could have a go too...

I miss that..
George Ndah was my personal favourite for being direct & driving at people.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 19:11:29 »

Yeah several of us have suggested similar mate.

As you rightly state McKirdy and DJ were the only 2 players this century that I can remember got the ball and ran at defences and got the crowd on their feet thinking something was going to happen.

I know its nostalgia but players like that were much pore prevalent years ago, its like that sort of thing is frowned upon with new tactics of possession above all else, players are too scared to lose possession rather than just going for the juguler.

Bobby Barnes, Don Rodgers, Ian Miller, Mark Walters etc etc who all when they got the ball there was a buzz going around the ground of anticipation.

I miss that too.

Shade gets the ball and does nothing.
Those players you mention would lift the crowd, kicking towards the TE particularly you just knew there were chances coming. Animal Williams whilst not technically gifted would look to go past a defender.
Summerbee the best crosser of the ball at Swindon could hit a ball at pace, what a player he was.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 19:13:01 »

Not absolving Lindsey, but there was a lot of noise about "playing the right way" from above his level, from Clem downwards. I'm pretty sure they were all aligned last summer on the type of players they wanted to bring in, even if specific targets might have differed.

There definitely seems to be more... variety of thought on that topic now.

Although McEachran is a small, technical player - but he puts himself about plenty. It's not just a question of physical size or Dylan Kadji and Tyrese Adeloye would have been great acquisitions!
Quite. But not every technical player has to be small. If Lindsey had just said he preferred technical players instead of specifying small technical players you could point the finger solely at recruitment.

At the moment we are suffering from not having a ‘style’ at all. It’s neither tippy tappy nor direct and it’s those moments in the game where players have to choose which way to play it that causing the problem..
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 19:13:12 »

I absolutely believe that Morris is the right man. He has fixed what he can at this stage. We look much better organised and work much harder. Instilling confidence to do what we are all suggesting will take time, and sadly possibly a pre-season.

I agree Morris needs to be given time and hopefully a bigger say in player recruitment.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 19:16:16 »

George Ndah was my personal favourite for being direct & driving at people.

Quality player and a smashing lad.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, March 16, 2023, 19:51:20 »

Quality player and a smashing lad.

Can't imagine us spending £500,000 today!

Ndah and Walters together was terrific.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: