Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sutton v Swindon matchday thread  (Read 20839 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 10:13:26 »

I think the ‘assistant is the brains behind the operation’ is just a football trope that doesn’t have much reasoning behind.

Think fans just use it to reassure themselves when they appoint an assistant manager as a manager.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 10:21:59 »

As the saying goes it's the old 2 heads are better than 1 isn't it? It's difficult to measure the importance of the assistant manager in tangible terms I would have thought. The most famous pairing must have been Clough and Taylor.

https://www.football365.com/news/brian-clough-peter-taylor-and-the-saddest-of-endings

I've absolutely nothing to base this on, but would/could JM have made a better start had we had him and Brand sorted out nice and early without the ongoing frustration of an STFC admin pudding? Allegedly Brand has been on the training ground but there hasn't been anything 'official' and he's not been in the dugouts so far.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 10:23:18 »

I always question the importance of a captain on the pitch as it dosen't seem to work for us.

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 10:34:13 »

I always question the importance of a captain on the pitch as it dosen't seem to work for us.

How are you measuring it though Jimmy? I think naming a Captain is mandatory, it would be interesting to see how performances would change if we didn't have a captain.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 10:43:46 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 12:32:37 »

I personally think the No.1 & No.2 combo works best when you have some form of "Good Cop, Bad Cop" going on.

You often need some polar elements and qualities between them. Essentially between them, knowing who can give out a bollocking and who can bring a calm approach then duly give it.

The danger could be that whilst they might both be good coaches, Morris and Brand could be too similar to one another. Meaning they may both agree with each other on decisions at the same time but too often. That might sound like a good thing but usually you need differences of opinion to see another angle and apply it. That way the players get the bollocking and chance to reflect on it but also get information to put into practice, apply it on the training ground and take it into the match.

I also reckon Morris and Brand would probably go over Sandro's head, putting to one side his transfer referrals and instead make decisions to sign one or two from Andre Wisdom, George Evans or Efe Ambrose in the summer too  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 16:39:44 »

saint Glenn off Hoddle prolly wouldn't have done so well without John Gorman as his 2i/c
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 21:20:31 »

Fine, I’m obviously wrong

Correct.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 21:23:17 »

We have so few experienced players now, order of captains really picks itself.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: