Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Doncaster Rovers Matchday Thread  (Read 18611 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:31:44 »

I gave this answer before, I think it is really tricky to read anything into the two games of interim charge.  In the Grimsby game they went down to 10 men and in the Gills game a tactical blunder put us on course for the wrong end of a rout.  Fortunately in the latter they did not score more than 3 in the first half and we did fix the mistake.

Both games though are marked by the people being in charge being able to fully gamble - hence the disaster that unfolded for the first 30 mins or so in the Gills game.  Their future careers were not on the line, they knew they could roll the dice and afford to spend all the chips.  I do not think they'd continue in the same approach if they were taking full control, otherwise every team would try it.  Very few teams have been a success by just throwing caution to the wind on attacking intent  Kevin Keegan is one of the few Manager I can think of in the English leagues and he got worked out - the last few games as England Manager were dire.

The one thing we can read from those two games is that the players have it in them to play a different way.  If Morris can find a tune then he maybe can extract more than Lindsey from them.  It will be tough though, we've ripped apart last seasons team on purpose and ended up with one that does not look good enough for promotion on paper.  The play offs are not out of sigh though - but it won't be long before a few teams begin to pull away.
Lardy Cake

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:45:49 »

The support this season has been excellent as far as numbers are concerned but the atmosphere on Saturday was non existent. A few tried to get things going but most were just resigned to the inevitable outcome once they realised it was like watching the Lindsey show part two. A young lad sat next to me turned to his dad and said “this is boring can we go home”? This was before Doncaster scored ! This summed things up for me, I looked around at my fellow Town fans and whilst most were following the game there was no real enthusiasm or excitement on anyones face.
I travelled 120 miles to watch the game and yet again left at the end without booing the team off but I did feel I had been duped into paying to watch unimaginative,unattractive and uninspiring football. Foolishly I arrived early thinking there would be a new manager introduction and with it an attempt to get the atmosphere a bit more buoyant. I fail to understand why the club continue to miss these opportunities to engage with the supporters.
I want to believe in the relatively new direction the club are going but something doesn’t feel right to me.

"Still to find and still to follow. Joy in every hill and hollow. Company in solitude".
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:48:18 »

Can someone start a Sutton matchday thread.

Long short: When I do I can't use my phone app to reply in it.

The presser is due to start any time now..
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:50:05 »

The biggest problem with the way that we play is that we seem extremely reluctant to move forwards with the ball at any kind of pace. This means that we become very easy to play against because we can easily be contained in our own half by 2 or 3 opposition players pressing us.

When we get the midfield involved, more often that not they play the ball backwards again as its the safest option. Players in the middle need confidence and abiity to move forward with the ball and find a pass to the feet of an attacker, or a through ball, or in front of a winger/full-back. Trouble is at the moment, our two midfielders are both youngsters who look like they have an awful lot to learn in the game before they are ready for this level. I'd be tempted to drop Williams back into one of these positions as we know he's very comfortable on the ball.

I know its not a great comparison, but I watched Man City yesterday, who are presumably the playing style we're looking to implement (yes I know their players are far superior) and the way the full-backs pass to the midfielders, and then move forwards with the ball really isn't that complex. Yes they make it look easy because they're so good, but what's the point of trying to play this way if we haven't got the players to do it?

The biggest warning sign for me at the moment is the amount of chances we are making. Next to none. And we simply won't win enough matches when we struggle to score when more often than not, the opposition will score against us.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:51:09 »

It is a good point, for both games he had Lavinier, Khan and Shade available, all of which would either start or be capable of changing the game coming off the bench. As well as MacDonald starting the Grimsby game which helped.

None of those 4 have been available since Morris took over.

Considerable mitigating circumstances.

Talking of Lavinier, in one of the press conferences, SM said he was very surprised to see him being utilised as a LWB, so it will be interesting to see where he plays him once he is fit again.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:52:29 »

I think the club misses Danny Lee - which is a worry, because you shouldn't be reliant on a single person.  It was a year ago now, but my visit to the club shop suggested we were run by a team of willing but inexperienced volunteers (I assume they are actually paid employees, but that was the vibe).
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:54:42 »

Look, the problem with academy football at our level is that the players needed to pull it off have to be good.

To nullify it at our level opposition players only have to be competent.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:59:46 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 13:58:29 »

Look, the problem with academy football at our level is that the players needed to pull it off have to be good.

Agreed. If we go to academy footy + a couple they have to be league competitive, i.e.  capable of promotion.

It only costs £3 a game to watch the likes of Liverpool academy BTW. Value for money?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 14:03:15 »

Agreed. If we go to academy footy + a couple they have to be league competitive, i.e.  capable of promotion.

It only costs £3 a game to watch the likes of Liverpool academy BTW. Value for money?

Suppose depends what you want to watch and what attachment you have to the clubs involved. Its a tenner to watch a Northern Prem game in comparison where the quality will be invariably worse, but be more 'action' involved.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 14:03:25 »

Tomorrow:

Williams is out with concussion. We knew instantly he would be unavailable, and we are assessing him. He took a really bad knock and he wasn't feeling great. Shade, Lavinier, Tomlinson not available. RHM still suspended.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 14:04:52 »

Suppose depends what you want to watch and what attachment you have to the clubs involved. Its a tenner to watch a Northern Prem game in comparison where the quality will be invariably worse, but be more 'action' involved.

yeah, sorry, it was silly. Just frustration at club direction bubbling through again.
DMC

« Reply #416 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 17:18:50 »

Tomorrow:

Williams is out with concussion. We knew instantly he would be unavailable, and we are assessing him. He took a really bad knock and he wasn't feeling great. Shade, Lavinier, Tomlinson not available. RHM still suspended.
Urghhhh. We are fucked with the squad we have at the moment then
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 17:33:40 »

As we have been have playing the same style of "possession" football for one and a half seasons now it is painfully obvious that any self respecting opposition manager would be getting the same feedback from their tactical scouts and work out a plan to negate us. That was obvious from the first whistle again Saturday where Doncaster pressured fairly high, kept a good shape and let us pass around at the back to our hearts content without causing them any real problems. On the odd occasion we did move forward with a greater intent and there was the possibility of something happening, it all came to nothing and the shots on target stats say it all. I would assume that JM has enough about him to realise that we are struggling somewhat and can work a little bit of knowhow to get us back on a more even keel.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
DMC

« Reply #418 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 17:39:18 »

As we have been have playing the same style of "possession" football for one and a half seasons now it is painfully obvious that any self respecting opposition manager would be getting the same feedback from their tactical scouts and work out a plan to negate us. That was obvious from the first whistle again Saturday where Doncaster pressured fairly high, kept a good shape and let us pass around at the back to our hearts content without causing them any real problems. On the odd occasion we did move forward with a greater intent and there was the possibility of something happening, it all came to nothing and the shots on target stats say it all. I would assume that JM has enough about him to realise that we are struggling somewhat and can work a little bit of knowhow to get us back on a more even keel.
I worry we just can't do that with the best 11 we have available at the moment.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Monday, February 13, 2023, 17:45:25 »

I worry we just can't do that with the best 11 we have available at the moment.

Its League Two ffs. Too many mistakes happen defensively to willingly play with the ball in the wrong half for large chunks of the game.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: