Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Doncaster Rovers Matchday Thread  (Read 18774 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 21:33:43 »

Gilingham - 3
Newport - 2
Doncaster - 2
Apologies beer got the better of me again
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 21:37:46 »

Think its 6 not 7 but coincides with old MacDonald, Gladwin and Reed all disappearing.

Awful transfer business, utterly clueless.   You can't expect kids who've played a handful of games to be consistent enough to get you promoted.   They need people to mentor and guide them.

Today, the 1st half was as boring as I've ever seen.  Just do not understand how they expect 10k people to pay for that every week.

Spot on.
We are going backwards on the pitch.
First 11 no where near the quality we had last season. Sure more depth but they can stick the model up their arse if they think that is acceptable.
90 minutes of shite. Pissed off, the drive home felt endless.

The transfer window a shambles.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 21:38:04 »

That's quite an interesting stat Jimmy and I guess covers all of 19/20 season, all of 21/22 season and this season (22/23) to date?

I guess 19/20 season probably skews that a smidge and I feel last season and this season seem more similarly matched...these two seasons also seem very similar to the Flitcroft season. If only in whereabouts Town might finish this season.

Still hopeful of Town finishing in the POs due to how wank the division is but it'll be a glaring indictment of where the club are at currently, if we do indeed consider how poor the league really is.

PS: Is that last paragraph also me laying the seed to bash the club if they don't make the POs?! Possibly so but it definitely isn't me saying I want the manager to walk is it? Just making sure Smiley

I think anyone on here who was to accept a finish outside of the PO spots was a good thing or decent would be very disappointing to read imo.

If we use 75 points as the Magic number for 7th spot we need 33 points from 17 games (51) win 10 draw 3 lose 6 or win 9 draw 6 lose 2 (highly unlikely)

Bristol Rovers went on that fantastic run coming from nowhere but they brought in quite a players in the January window to strengthen their squad......

So, give no fucks
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 21:46:38 »

This season is pretty much done, we're a poor side now.
TBH it doesn't feel that we've really tried on the pitch this year.   
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 22:20:09 »

I assume Lindsey didn’t agree with the strategy of selling the captain and vis captain in Jan, which is why he went to Crawley. Maybe that had to happen to pay for Austin … clem would then be responsible for that not Sandro
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 22:25:14 »

I don’t think financially things are as good at the club as what is portrayed- back office and shop staff often paid late.

So much for transparency
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 22:33:05 »

I assume Lindsey didn’t agree with the strategy of selling the captain and vis captain in Jan, which is why he went to Crawley. Maybe that had to happen to pay for Austin … clem would then be responsible for that not Sandro
Without knowing the specifics of what went on, there's no point in blaming individuals.  What we do know is that the last 2 windows have made us a significantly worse side than we were this time last year, so the recruitment strategy isn't working and lessons need to be learned.

Making up the numbers in div 4 is an abject failure so it's clearly not intentional.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 22:34:39 »

I don’t think financially things are as good at the club as what is portrayed- back office and shop staff often paid late.

So much for transparency
My son works for club and has not been paid late.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 22:37:39 »

So much for transparency

From Pookeman
‘My son works for club and has not been paid late.’

Well, over to you then…
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Saturday, February 11, 2023, 23:03:09 »

But something doesn’t feel ‘right’

Agreed, even prior to today’s shambles my old sixth sense was niggling away as there now appears to be a distinct lack of “spirit” in the team which all successful sides seem to have. The body language of the players (and even Morris today) do not appear to be as one which is not a good sign in a team situation.

Perhaps this game was only a blip in the ongoing saga of STFC but I am concerned that we are nowhere near where we hoped to be this season and the next couple of fixtures will tell us where we are actually heading.p

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Sunday, February 12, 2023, 01:01:03 »

Fucking hell. That was grim.

Baffling to see posters on here more interested in picking holes in what others are saying about current ongoings at STFC than addressing what’s actually happened/happening at the club.

Drama/Overreaction if you’re moaning about Morris. He’s had two weeks. 1 day in transfer window (coincidence
? Haha). He’s gonna need time. Big old change for him in all. Back him fully. He’s been pretty open in his frustrations already, ie not getting players in deadline day, training ground, Ed Brand…

As for the game. No shocks they peppered our left side- wonder why? I wasn’t Macdonalds biggest fan but fucking hell we missed him today. Midfield? Don’t even get me started. Weasels. Darcy bottling every tackle and just moves about like a headless chicken. Seen more fucking bark in a sausage dog than him. Kadji played like a 19 year old who’s only ever had a run of more than 2 games at Bath city -oh wait. Jake Cain is supposed to be an upgrade on Louis Reed? Fuck me. cain might turn out to be a good player - but if he’s not a better player than Reed right now then it’s even worse business than we first thought, thought it was bad enough selling to a promotion rival. Wakeling seems absolutely shot of confidence/form. Some of these players just ain’t up to it. Austin’s a legend and all that, and will score goals if we get into him in the box- but whilst we’re unable to find his head/foot in box- in the nicest way he’s offering very little. Players didn’t look up for it today imo? Fans flat as fuck, wouldn’t think it was Morris first game. Zero push in week from club about it either. None of it helps.

Is Ed Brand really an issue with EFL? Or is slow slow compo Swindon striking again? Issues with garner, issues with Lindsey… who knows.

Fucking rotten transfer window - January Replacements - Kadji for Gladwin. Cain for Reed. Macdonald gone, yet no replacement and we needed a centre half regardless of Macdonalds future. Shot ourselves in he foot. Get this average age down any more it will be a cunting nursery.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Sunday, February 12, 2023, 01:44:39 »

Wigan, obviously

Where I know a few Wigan fans who have never heard of him, and they are on their supporters trust

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Sunday, February 12, 2023, 03:38:53 »

If we use 75 points as the Magic number for 7th spot we need 33 points from 17 games (51) win 10 draw 3 lose 6 or win 9 draw 6 lose 2 (highly unlikely)

Bristol Rovers went on that fantastic run coming from nowhere but they brought in quite a players in the January window to strengthen their squad......

I can't see a team needing 75pts to make get into 7th place. If 75pts was the target, that would mean Stockport (currently in 7th) would need to maintain around a 1.8ppg form in order to finish where they are now...ironically reading the "Last 10" chart they have a 2.0ppg form! It certainly means Stockport can probably afford to drop form a smidge, maybe even as low as 1.5ppg and still finish in that final PO position.

Only 4 teams in the division are on a 1.8ppg form or better (from the last 10 games: Stockport, Colchester, Carlisle, Sutton). We can probably discount Colchester, who on 31 games have 34pts so even if they maintained their very good run of form (2.0ppg) would only manage 64pts and at best would probably miss out on POs by a couple of wins, possibly a case of too little too late. That leaves only 3 teams on 1.8ppg or better. If maintained Stockport would finish on 79pts and would probably see them finish in 4th place, maybe 3rd if Carlisle's form were to dip. Carlisle (1.9ppg) would finish on 82pts and possibly see them hold their current position in 3rd or maybe 2nd if Orient continue their dip in form. Sutton (1.8ppg and in a similar pts situation to Town but much better form) would finish on 70pts and I think that could be the ballpark figure for finishing 7th. Poss 69pts or 71pts. But not 75pts. It seems too high and the league is poorer than that overall.

Let's consider Town's form, which in the last 10 is poor at 1.1ppg. Maintaining that form, they would finish on about 61pts. Which of course is not good enough. A form of 1.6ppg would see them finish on 69pts which might be enough if others form were to dip but that could rely on GD and is pushing it a bit. A form of 1.7ppg though would see them finish on 71pts which I think would be enough to clinch 7th. It's certainly a big ask to see a 55% improvement on Town's current form, from next Tues onwards though! If they went on an unbeaten WDWD form at 2ppg rate (an 82% improvement effectively overnight...) then Town would finish on 76pts which would most likely result in a comfortable 4th place finish.

It certainly makes the versus Sutton match a "must win" on Tuesday if Town are serious about making the POs at a minimum so that match does become a PO contender "six pointer".

Anything written above was all a quick calc so apologies if any errors. Here's a "Final Table" based on all the teams current pts and applying ppg (from their last 10 games) form using the chart you posted. If nothing else it is interesting to see where each team would/might finish. Currently Town would finish about 15th...which I don't think any of us would accept.

League Two PPG Final Table
==========================================
Team                    Played      Pts      PPG      Pts Gain     Prj Pts
Stevenage                 28          57         1.7        30.6            88
Leyton Orient             31          63         1.3        19.5            83
Carlisle United            30          52         1.9        30.4            82
Stockport County        29          45         2.0        34               79
Salford City                30          48         1.7        27.2            75   
Mansfield Town           29          46         1.6        27.2            73   
Northampton Town  29         50         1.3        22.1            72
Walsall                      27         41         1.6        30.4            71
Sutton United           30         41         1.8        28.8            70
Doncaster Rovers        29         43          1.5        25.5            69
Bradford City              28         43          1.2        21.6            65
Colchester United        31         34          2.0       30                64
AFC Wimbledon           29         40         1.4        23.8             64
Tranmere Rovers         30         41         1.4        22.4             63
SWINDON TOWN      29         42         1.1        18.7            61   
Newport County          28          30         1.6        28.8            59
Grimsby Town             26          33         1.0        20               53
Barrow                       30          42         0.7        11.2            53   
Harrogate Town          28          27         1.4        25.2            52       
Hartlepool United        30          26         1.4        22.4            48
Crewe Alexandra      28         34         0.7        12.6            47           
Gillingham                28         24         1.1        19.8            44
Crawley Town          27         25          0.9        17.1            42          
Rochdale                   30          23          0.6          9.6            33

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Sunday, February 12, 2023, 06:43:17 »

When Morris first came in he said high pressing football and mixing up styles. Reading between the lines I think he’s hinted that the players weren’t at the fitness levels he wants when they joined and to be fair the Gillingham game proved that with 3/4 players cramping up. Maybe yesterdays performance was a consequence of harder training and heavy legs, they seemed to lack energy and gave the ball away countless times with little or no pressure. When Morris joined I said to my old man we may lose the first few while the players get fitter, which is what’s happened so far. Do agree with all comments though recruitment in January was poor and very stupid to lose MacDonald and not replace him (FWIW the spurs lad may have been good but the defence would have still lacked experience).
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Sunday, February 12, 2023, 06:48:32 »

This looks a bit ominous. If he’s out for a while we’re even more fucked.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid034gGxnurr6kZoHMM4YScyDNjbX3SiS4rhNXnRiQYAeRE1BpkQj6iMLpwaiT5cagcRl&id=100063706591918

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: