Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 ... 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Proper Manager Thread - Sponsored by Audrey  (Read 152901 times)
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #1455 on: Saturday, February 4, 2023, 07:52:45 »

Morris wants to be a high pressing team, which requires a different type/level of fitness to what we were showing under Lindsay.

Last weekend I was reading an article in The Times that talked about how Lampard's Everton pressed significantly less than his Derby and Chelsea teams. Morris was assistant at D & C but not Everton, so it would seem it is a real hallmark of his coaching.

Clearly Austin won't be doing much pressing and neither will Joniesta - and not sure what RHM has got in the locker with his brittle legs - so does create a bit of challenge with personnel. 4231 with Williams at 10 would mean Wakeling and Shade out wide would have to do most of the pressing to make it work
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #1456 on: Saturday, February 4, 2023, 08:09:31 »

Clearly Austin won't be doing much pressing and neither will Joniesta - and not sure what RHM has got in the locker with his brittle legs - so does create a bit of challenge with personnel. 4231 with Williams at 10 would mean Wakeling and Shade out wide would have to do most of the pressing to make it work

This was my slight worry, but didn’t want to sound negative before we have seen any plans in action. Of our forwards only Wakeling would seem suited (and willing) at the task. Not sure even Shade is capable, may be a moot point if he doesn’t play that much.

That said, it’s league two. We don’t have to be as effective at it [the press] for it to have some yield.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1457 on: Saturday, February 4, 2023, 08:14:53 »

Pressing with the Lindsey squad was a no-no. Gladwin showed little interest in tackling let alone tracking back. Most on here have been moaning how the midfield offers no protection to the back 3/4 - the onus was always on retaining the ball once we got hold of it - not winning it back.

Whether they try the press today but then run out of puff towards the end could be an interesting watch.
HenryHallsHeid

Ignore
« Reply #1458 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 12:45:37 »

Hello!

St Johnstone fan here. Just wanted to pop in and give you some insight on Jody Morris' time with us. Jody signed for us in 2008 when we were in the Scottish First Division. He hadn't played for a while after leaving Millwall and admitted that he had fallen out of love with the game. He came to us as he had previously played with our then manager, Derek McInnes, at Millwall. Initially our fans were sceptical when he first signed due to some of the off field baggage, but those initial doubts were quickly put to bed when he scored a diving header in front of our away support in a game against local rivals Dundee. After that there was no looking back, he was an instrumental part of the team that led us back to the Premier League after being in the lower league for 7 years and also led the team to a Scottish Cup semi final. Both on and off the pitch he was a brilliant leader. He relocated his family to Scotland, worked closely with our youth teams and was involved in supporters functions and the local community. He was a big part of the reason that a culture was installed in the club that has allowed us to go on and win two Scottish Cups, a League Cup and compete in Europe several times.

I know that many Saints fans were hoping that Jody would be our next manager, but unlikely that this will happen now. He has all the tools to be a great success at Swindon, he has good knowledge of the Scottish leagues, knows the English youth system well and is well respected in the game. I hope he does well, you have got a real leader at the helm of your club now and someone who will make sure the players work hard for him every week. All the best.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1459 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 12:50:53 »

Hello!

St Johnstone fan here. Just wanted to pop in and give you some insight on Jody Morris' time with us. Jody signed for us in 2008 when we were in the Scottish First Division. He hadn't played for a while after leaving Millwall and admitted that he had fallen out of love with the game. He came to us as he had previously played with our then manager, Derek McInnes, at Millwall. Initially our fans were sceptical when he first signed due to some of the off field baggage, but those initial doubts were quickly put to bed when he scored a diving header in front of our away support in a game against local rivals Dundee. After that there was no looking back, he was an instrumental part of the team that led us back to the Premier League after being in the lower league for 7 years and also led the team to a Scottish Cup semi final. Both on and off the pitch he was a brilliant leader. He relocated his family to Scotland, worked closely with our youth teams and was involved in supporters functions and the local community. He was a big part of the reason that a culture was installed in the club that has allowed us to go on and win two Scottish Cups, a League Cup and compete in Europe several times.

I know that many Saints fans were hoping that Jody would be our next manager, but unlikely that this will happen now. He has all the tools to be a great success at Swindon, he has good knowledge of the Scottish leagues, knows the English youth system well and is well respected in the game. I hope he does well, you have got a real leader at the helm of your club now and someone who will make sure the players work hard for him every week. All the best.
Thanks for the insight, my best mate is a Swindon/St Johnstone fan and I have been to a few games at your place, he lives in Alyth.

He seems to be a winner and its good that you have confirmed this Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1460 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 13:48:46 »

Hello!

That's great to read, thanks for taking the time to share that HHH.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1461 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 15:19:33 »

That's great to read, thanks for taking the time to share that HHH.

Wasn't he a wrestler?  Huh?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1462 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 15:25:10 »

Not a clue, I'm not 11 years old so couldn't help you with that.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1463 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 15:32:04 »

Not a clue, I'm not 11 years old so couldn't help you with that.

You were probably 11 when this guy was wrestling  Wink
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1464 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 15:33:53 »

Couple with those acronyms
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1465 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 15:39:28 »

You were probably 11 when this guy was wrestling  Wink

Ah you mean Hulk Hogan? I didn't twig! Yeah I guess you are probably right!

4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1466 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 16:20:17 »

Ah you mean Hulk Hogan? I didn't twig! Yeah I guess you are probably right!

No, Triple H (but close).
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1467 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 16:29:22 »

Hogan had his Hollywood Hulk Hogan phase in the mid to late 90s, brother…
Laddy in Red

Ignore
« Reply #1468 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 16:37:18 »

Giant Haystacks or GTFO.

Thanks for the post HHH. Regarding whether he will or he will not be available to become St Johnstone's next manager, no worries, the Swindon manager job was changed to a temp position in 2006, so he'll be free again soon.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1469 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 19:22:29 »

Hello!

Great read, cheers. St Johnstone are my Scottish team, so that's a nice little link for me.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 ... 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: