Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Proper Manager Thread - Sponsored by Audrey  (Read 154125 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:20:32 »

Playing devils advocate because it is a forum, why would appointing someone who had won those 3 games be a bad thing, not for you Bob but for others. Again, i don't think he is anywhere near in the running FWIW but based on other options the club can't win.

I have seen people screaming for Artel on here saying if it isn't him the club have fucked up then on twitter yesterday there are people posting his win records telling everyone how shit he is.

As a great philosopher once said, it's not that easy it's like selling a house

Oh it absolutely wouldn't be a bad thing and I'm sure if we win tomorrow more fans might come on board and get behind it. Clearly you are never going to be able to please everyone with the next appointment but after what happened in the summer taking 6 weeks or so to appoint the previous assistant manager that proved ultimately unpopular and didn't really work, to then rinse and repeat with Gunning isn't going to wash for most of the fanbase. Of course, that's not to say it couldn't work, it totally could, but it would certainly be brave to go down that route.

Momentum and confidence is a big thing in football, we win the next 2 playing attacking football that excites the fans and who knows?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #661 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:20:53 »

As i understand it and i could be wrong, Gunning doesn't have the necessary coaching badges to be a full time head coach, he can be an interim for 3 months. If we continue post that we will get a big fine which the club wont want. I also believe Gunning has said on a few occasions he doesn't feel ready for it so i cant see it being him.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:21:27 »

Playing devils advocate because it is a forum, why would appointing someone who had won those 3 games be a bad thing, not for you Bob but for others. Again, i don't think he is anywhere near in the running FWIW but based on other options the club can't win.

I have seen people screaming for Artel on here saying if it isn't him the club have fucked up then on twitter yesterday there are people posting his win records telling everyone how shit he is.

As a great philosopher once said, it's not that easy it's like selling a house

Absolutely this
Let’s say IF we win our next two and IF we then appoint Gav - it’s not the same as the summer. Lindsey became manager during the off season. We didn’t get see what Lindsey was all about until the season started. He had no audition so to speak.

If Gav is given three games then he’s basically been given the opportunity to audition.

I enjoyed Saturday and everything about it. He completely ripped apart almost everything single trace of Lindsey in that team and completely rebuilt it in a week. Different XI, different formation, different tactics, changed formation based on how the game went. Impactful subs.

The game couldn’t have gone any better. He didn’t even want to be in the limelight and the players had to drag him to the front. His interview was honest, blunt and devoid of any cliches or pointless stats that don’t matter.

Sure, it was only one game but if we can see similar results in the next two games - then why not give him a crack!

….hell, once upon a time Scunthorpe put their physio in as caretaker, then gave him the job and won League One ffs which is better that anything we’ve done in the last 20 years.

Maybe they’ll get someone in, maybe they will wait but if we do wait and Gav keeps winning games then why the fuck not?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:21:32 »

That's not speculation it's a couple of pages of ranting and abuse directed at the club and poor old fucking Gav Gunning for. ...... well I've no tucking idea what for TBH.

Gunning's said he's not a candidate. The club haven't interviewed him. They've no control over what the bookies do.

This thread has degenerated into a group of moaners convincing themselves something's going to happen based on absolutely all and the getting outraged about it.

Its a fucking fans forum where fans chat shit. It's even in the fucking moto "80% Bollocks". Who exactly does it affect?

Shall we just sit and wait before speaking because it might not happen? Boring.

As it happens, something useful came out of the ranting that means he can't manage us for more than two months (unless the adver got Gunning's coaching badges wrong).
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:24:27 »

As i understand it and i could be wrong, Gunning doesn't have the necessary coaching badges to be a full time head coach, he can be an interim for 3 months. If we continue post that we will get a big fine which the club wont want. I also believe Gunning has said on a few occasions he doesn't feel ready for it so i cant see it being him.

Thanks Jan, I had been told he didn't have the badges but I wasn't aware of the interim rule.

This is purely hypothetical so humour me here - As the season ends in May, could we carry on with Gunning as a Caretaker until 3 months before the end of the season and then give him the 3 month interim job? He can then presumably get his badges sorted in the post season? (not sure how long it takes so that could be bollocks)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:27:30 »

I assume (rightly or wrongly) that if he was enrolled for the relevant courses he needed to complete they would let him carry on whilst studying?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:29:17 »

Playing devils advocate because it is a forum, why would appointing someone who had won those 3 games be a bad thing, .

It might not. He might surpass Ferguson as the greatest manager ever to have lived for all I know. We could appoint Artell and not win a game. We all accept that.

But for me its about risk management. 3 games is such a small sample. The proof will come at season end.

But the point I would make is while it might work out, given a club of our size and our position he should be nowhere near even getting interviewed. Nor should Caddis. AFAIK neither are qualified. Neither have any reasonable relevant experience.

At least I can see sense in approaching U21/23 managers, though that in itself runs the whole "playing like an academy team" risk.

Moss

Ignore
« Reply #667 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:30:57 »

If he has said himself he doesn't want it, keep him on board and get him to do his badges and back him as a coach and maybe next time.   Bournemouth have shown the new manager bounciness with an inside man is not always sustainable beyond the initial bounce.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #668 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:31:54 »

I assume (rightly or wrongly) that if he was enrolled for the relevant courses he needed to complete they would let him carry on whilst studying?

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/efl-regulations/section-5--fixtures/

41.1.2  all Managers in League One and League Two must hold a minimum of the UEFA B Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA A Licence within 3 years of appointment.

Furthermore
Where a Club appoints a Manager on an interim basis that individual does not need to meet the qualifications set out in Regulation 41.1 above provided always that this dispensation shall not last beyond the end of the Season in which they are appointed. Further, Clubs may not appoint any individual who has already held an interim Manager position at a Club under this Regulation unless and until such time as they have acquired the qualification(s) required under Regulation 41.1.

So he could get it until the end of the season. Then we are in breach if he hasn't got his B license.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:40:12 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:33:06 »

My worry, completely unfounded of course, is that SDM is terrified of someone who actually knows how to run the football side of a club, because it would undermine him. But he may be able to keep a coach under control. I'm sure I'm wrong though.

We all have worries, the problem seems to be that such unfounded worries get picked up by those seeking negative vibes and then start being quoted by others as fact about 48 hours later.

The long and short is literally no one bar SDM/Angus and Clem have a fucking clue what's going on, no idea where the leaks are coming from but it does seem suspiciously like they are being leaked to pis people off and wind people up so I suspect its not the club but others wanting to (And successfully so) breed discontent within the fan base.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #670 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:35:36 »

If he has said himself he doesn't want it,

That's what started this off! Sandro saying the  Grimsby win "put a spanner in the works" followed by:

https://www.totalswindon.com/sport/press-conference-live-walsall-v-swindon/

Gavin Gunning on being in limbo:

It doesn't matter to me. I am trying to give the team a structure and have a plan in place for the weekend, then we will see. Whatever will be, will be. But my thought process is on Walsall.

In life you never know what is going to come around, I can't say no or yes [on taking the job.]

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/23262647.swindon-town-press-conference-updates-ahead-walsall-v-swindon/

I'm confident in my ability to deliver a message to the team. But it's not just me, there's a group of us doing it.

The time frame doesn't matter to me. I'm paid to do a job, and i'll do it to the best of my ability.

You never know what's going to happen in the future. Gunning would not be drawn on whether he wants the job or not. He emphatically said no last week...

And the ensuing bookies odds tumble as a couple of people put £10 on it!
« Last Edit: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:40:57 by Batch » Logged
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #671 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:37:14 »

If he has said himself he doesn't want it, keep him on board and get him to do his badges and back him as a coach and maybe next time.   Bournemouth have shown the new manager bounciness with an inside man is not always sustainable beyond the initial bounce.

I'm wondering whether this might be our longer term plan also. Any new manager coming in would have Gunning in their managerial team (perhaps as assistant manager) and he would then do his badges and be next in line to be our head coach as and when the manager moves on. 

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #672 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 09:50:26 »

I did just manage to ask Kenny Daglish if he'd come and manage us.

He can still move quite fast with the right impetus.

I think it was a no.
He is still more mobile than Pork Pie Pele.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #673 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 10:01:37 »

My feeling too. If they have, indeed, interviewed numerous candidates none of them appear good enough for SDM.

Looking the other way, have they questioned Sandro? Perhaps he feels like he could be called out about his knowledge ability etc and he has then taken them no further. Not disputing his ability to spot a decent player but maybe, seasoned managers have sussed him and he doesn't like it
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #674 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 10:13:20 »

Gunning does speak well so could see the fans taking to him if he got the job.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: