Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Proper Manager Thread - Sponsored by Audrey  (Read 154472 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:33:34 »

The difference this time, is we know that suitable candidates have been interviewed. The fans that devil advocate negative news to death to try and spin it positively would usually counter with "but who else could we attract?"

If we appoint someone like Gunning, Rice or Bircham that absolutely cannot be said when there are clearly multiple better and more qualified candidates that want the job have been interviewed.

It would be unacceptable. No spin, no bullshit.

You don't know if they want the job though...willing to work under Sandro's model
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:34:04 »

Is it possible that having seen:

- Gunning do a good job setting the team up as first team coach,
- Sandro being seemingly decent at identifying a player, but not having any real broader experience to draw on as technical director

They've identified Rice as someone that can provide the missing bit of the picture? He can coach, he can plan tactically to exploit opposition weaknesses, he can draw up longer term player development programmes. Might not be a bad fit. Don't know if he and Gunning know each other both being Dublin boys.

Just playing devil's advocat here. (Everyone likes an eggnog at Christmas right?)

..never go back.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #482 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:38:45 »

The difference this time, is we know that suitable candidates have been interviewed. The fans that devil advocate negative news to death to try and spin it positively would usually counter with "but who else could we attract?"
Do we though?

I don't think the club (Sandro or Clem) have said categorically that any person has been interviewed its all media talk that has said they have been, I don't think (and I may be wrong) that the club haven't actually confirmed anyone has actually been interviewed yet, just hearsay and chinese whispers.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:40:31 »

We've now received compensation for both Garner and assistant and SL and Day so surely you use that to create a generous package for the new manager. Let's be blunt here, if you are an ambitious manager, interested in joining a big club for this league getting 10k crowds and the ability to attract decent players would you not be put off a bit by the fact we need to advertise for volunteers to bring packed lunches to the training gaff? That screams Sunday League to me.

Obviously I have no idea what kind of salary we offer our managerial team but i'm getting the inkling that it ain't great.

But what are the compensation figures, in this day of rolling rather than long term managerial contracts I suspect its ten's of 1000's not more than that, plus I note that the debt at the club continues to be paid down, no doubt income is preferable to cover this rather than more from Clem's back pocket. Not saying the clubs approach  is right, but it is what it is.

Absolutely, although we as fans would like an experienced manager that sort of appointment doesn't fit the model whereas an U23 coach definately does, even if we as fans don't agree.

FWIW does Gunning have the badges to become manager? he must have some obviously but I wasn't sure if you needed the full set, as it were.

No he doesn't although I assume that the FL like others allow you to appoint without the qualifications for a certain period of time on the understanding that they are working towards them. I know that Reims in Ligue 1 are paying a £25k per game fine at the moment as their manager doesn't yet have the necessary, but as he is unbeaten in the 10 games they are willing to bear it I assume.

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:40:45 »

You don't know if they want the job though...willing to work under Sandro's model

Even bigger problem then.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:41:29 »

Do we though?

I don't think the club (Sandro or Clem) have said categorically that any person has been interviewed its all media talk that has said they have been, I don't think (and I may be wrong) that the club haven't actually confirmed anyone has actually been interviewed yet, just hearsay and chinese whispers.

Artell said himself he wanted it.

“I’m definitely interested in the Swindon job and I think how they want to play and my philosophy are a good match.
I know they’re going more down the data recruitment route which is not something I’m against.
It’s the methodology behind the data that is key (and knowing what you’re after and the way they want to play football is the way I want to play football."

Straight from the horses mouth.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:43:44 by ChalkyWhiteIsGod » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:46:33 »

This is it, there could be any number of reasons why people are interviewed and then either drop out or decline if offered, be it not liking the club or those who interviewed you, not liking the conditions you have to work under, not liking what they are offering you in terms of pay/benefits, driving to the interview and realising that you really don't want to be doing that commute 6 days a week! looking on the internet and discovering that all the clubs fans are cunts  Wink Cheesy

Jesus, even in my shitty career I have turned down jobs a few times for some of the reasons above after attending interview plus attended interviews with limited interest in the job (in my case on the basis that they might make me a decent enough offer, but in a football managers position I imagine you do so just to keep your name in the media and remind potential other employers that you still exist and are in the job market.)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:49:34 by horlock07 » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #487 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:49:28 »

Artell said himself he wanted it.

“I’m definitely interested in the Swindon job and I think how they want to play and my philosophy are a good match.
I know they’re going more down the data recruitment route which is not something I’m against.
It’s the methodology behind the data that is key (and knowing what you’re after and the way they want to play football is the way I want to play football."

Straight from the horses mouth.
Yes, I understand he himself touted himself for the job but do we know that he has even been interviewed?

not arguing just stating that AFAIK the club have neither confirmed nor denied any of the managers linked so far, so far all we know they may have dismissed him without even speaking to him.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:08:50 »

This is the kind of appointment I'd be comfortable getting behind if it was made in like May/June, not so much middle of the season when we're supposedly eyeing promotion.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
DMC

« Reply #489 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:08:59 »

Stephen Rice?Huh? This can't be true. Sandro, Clem or whoever stop this fucking lunacy, hire a 'manager'. We the fans deserve some respect, this club is not some experiment for us.

Carry on like this, no point in developing the CG

I really don't understand how many more times the club can sit there and tell the fans the type of coach/manager they want
DMC

« Reply #490 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:12:41 »

Even bigger problem then.
For you, not the club to be fair. Maybe they think they can make it work. FWIW i want a more experienced manager, thats my preference but if they think they can employ someone and honestly believe someone like Rice,Foster etc is the way forward over Artel or Houghton then so be it. They have made it clear that any appoitment has to work to a certain model, they are not hiding anything
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:13:04 »

At our end of the market opportunities for unemployed managers/head coaches are few and far between. Surely they all cant be that picky. And also for those who are looking to become a no. 1 who may currently be an U-23 coach.

Fwiw, Garner left for Charlton and a £90,000 salary.

DMC

« Reply #492 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:16:05 »

I would still like us to get someone in short term though with a bit of nouse but we tried that with Sheridan. Who fucking knows tbh it hurts my head.

All i do know is if we get someone in who is even slightly better than Lindsey then we have half a chance this season
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:18:14 »

Sheridan was employed for one purpose and one purpose only. To ensure we got relegated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:19:30 »

Yes, I understand he himself touted himself for the job but do we know that he has even been interviewed?

According to Whealan, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: