Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 29144 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:36:36 »

BTW I assume I am not the only one who got a Twitter notification from what I read as Swindon Town FC last night, the only bit of text showing on the notification being 'Club Vacancies' in my couple of glasses of red imbibed mind I thought' fucking hell they are advertising the managers job on twitter' was only a while after I realised it was actually a tweet from Swindon Town WFC

Roll Eyes

Nope!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:37:22 »

Yeah, but he's gone. Maybe signing Austin Bodies well.
This Bodies? One of my fav Pistols tracks

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:39:16 »

No, this one

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:42:23 »

I think the Cowleys can adapt their style to suit the players available in the short-term. I'm sure that being competitive without being exceptional financially would be fine. I've seen other managers go into clubs and have the financial rug pulled from under their feet within weeks. That is what any manager should be wary of.

Not sure they have shown any evidence at any club to date of being able to adapt their style. Reading what the Pompey fans were sayings all sounds very familiar, couldn't win at home, made shite opposition teams look brilliant, lost the dressing room, fans liked them as people but wanted them out.

It would just be signing up for more of the same if they came here.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:58:27 »

Sorry Bernie, if you found all my stupid posts you could have another forum category!

That one sort of stuck in the mind for some reason...

I can think of numerous posters that have had way more stupid posts than me Cheesy Like I said, if that is the worst post that anyone can slap me with every few years, then I can live with that - others have done far worse..  Alcohol eh?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:58:32 »

Would be amazed if we'd pay enough to attract Cowley, we're not good payers which is why everyone jumps ship at the first opportunity.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:00:56 »

I think the Cowleys can adapt their style to suit the players available in the short-term. I'm sure that being competitive without being exceptional financially would be fine. I've seen other managers go into clubs and have the financial rug pulled from under their feet within weeks. That is what any manager should be wary of.

You are starting to sound more like the Cowley's agent than DV is with Duncan Ferguson now..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:02:14 »

I can think of numerous posters that have had way more stupid posts than me Cheesy Like I said, if that is the worst post that anyone can slap me with every few years, then I can live with that - others have done far worse..  Alcohol eh?

It was the back to the future references that did it.
I didn't name you Smiley
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:04:13 »

It was the back to the future references that did it.
I didn't name you Smiley

You knew what you were doing.. Cheesy and it was a good cast Smiley

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:04:47 »

Fishing.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:07:10 »

I started supporting Sunderland in 1962. My first memory is of us blowing promotion on the final day away to Swansea Town.
Over the last thirty years my interest in my club has lessened as my football betting has become such a big part of my life.
So you could say I become a fan of whichever team my money is on but not a true fan in the purest sense.  

i mean this is potentially more interesting than random manager names and possibly one of the strangest things i have read on this 80% bollocks forum.

surely the only way you would ever make money in the lower league betting is to close your eyes and pick. there seems to be no set method to success, teams have appointed high profile managers, spent a lot of money, recruited well and then you still get the likes of stevenage and carlisle near the top of the league.

to say you would bet on us to do well if the cowleys took over without knowing our squad, performances and set up is pretty crazy. to follow a manager you would surely miss as much as you hit as you previously suggested. a manager to work somewhere is so hit and miss.

You have wellens of Oldham, Doncaster and Salford then you have wellens of Swindon and Leyton Orient.

You have Eddie Howe of Burnley then you have eddie howe of Bournemouth and Newcastle.

It takes a random fit for it to work and my top tip for you would be to keep it in your pocket
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #191 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:19:52 »

Some managers fit clubs and some clubs fit managers.

Macari at Swindon vs Macari at Stoke and West Ham, Ardiles at Swindon vs Ardiles at Newcastle, Hoddle at Swindon vs Hoddle at Chelsea and Spurs.

Conversely

Colin Todd at Bolton vs Todd at Swindon, Dave Mackay at Derby vs Mackay at Swindon. Roy Evans at Liverpool vs Evans at Swindon.

Sometimes the club and players just click with a manager.

TBF With Wellens you could even say Wellens of 19/20 vs Wellens of 20/21.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:23:36 »

Would be amazed if we'd pay enough to attract Cowley, we're not good payers which is why everyone jumps ship at the first opportunity.

It's a matter of timing. I don't know whether the brothers want a break to recharge their batteries or to get back in the game straight away. I think the contracts they had at Huddersfield would have been for life-changing amounts, more than I'd imagine they were getting at Pompey.

I think they could be attracted by the opportunity to manage Swindon Town, unless the pay was ridiculously small. I always believe it's important to go to the right club at the right time. If you were in The Championship you'd be a much less attractive proposition than you are battling for a play-off place in League Two. In The Championship a manager would have to do well to keep you there. In League Two do equally well and you'd be promoted this season or win the title next.

The Cowleys need to restore their reputations. Big money, big club offers are probably not going to be available now. Take Swindon up this season or next and have you challenging for the play-offs in League One and they would be on the radar for better paid posts. They might like it so much at Swindon that they don't move on till you're in The Championship but if they jump ship having taken you to the upper reaches of League One everybody wins.

Apart from anything else football people cannot be out of the game too long. I was a huge admirer of Paolo Di Canio during his short period at The SOL. I was in a small minority but some of us were bitterly disappointed that black Sunday Short fired him. He's never had another chance and it will be ten years this year since he left Sunderland. I don't think the Cowleys can afford from a career point of view to wait for another job as big as Pompey; and they'd want to have a long look at what was going on behind the scenes there if they were.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:28:32 »

The problem with the Cowleys is just that. You get both but not for the price of 1. All well and good being a ‘team’ but it just means more staff to pay off.
I JBZelieve We Will Win
JBZ reborn

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:28:59 »

Jeez! Enough already.  I am not sure you will find gainful employment for your clients via the Town End forum.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: