Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 29129 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:18:25 »

Of course they should. From memory we had a very odd Preston North End fan sign up here (called Thor or something) and when we played Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday back in the day, loads of their fans would sign up just to tell us how many of their fans would be travelling down. I imagine they would have got a LOT of interaction with Jimmy had he been around on this forum those days Smiley

And Tom Punt the shitty fan, although I think his name was changed  Grin
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #166 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:19:23 »

I'm a big admirer of the brothers.
Welcome to the forum Mr Cowley Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #167 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:21:26 »

Of course they should. From memory we had a very odd Preston North End fan sign up here (called Thor or something) and when we played Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday back in the day, loads of their fans would sign up just to tell us how many of their fans would be travelling down. I imagine they would have got a LOT of interaction with Jimmy had he been around on this forum those days Smiley
Thor was mentally disturbed and it was wrong to abuse someone with such a blatant mental illness, like shooting fish in the barrel. Even the Preston fans were aware on their forum of his "noetic shortcomings". Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:23:30 »

I'm a big admirer of the brothers. I started to take notice of their achievements when they left Braintree to go to Lincoln.
I'm a football bettor. I backed Lincoln ante-post for each of the brothers' three full seasons there and made a lot of money. I thought Portsmouth was a very good fit for them and backed them heavily ante-post last season and this. I lost a lot of money.
Their failure at Pompey has been both a surprise and, obviously, a disappointment to me. But I haven't lost my faith in the Cowleys, nor my belief that they would be a great appointment for any side in League Two. I thought Gillingham might be an option but yesterday's appointments of Hesenthaler and Jackett as Director of Football and Head of Recruitment seem to make Harris's position safe.
Then the news of Lindsey broke. Swindon Town is a bigger club than Gillingham and one of the biggest in League Two. The Cowleys committed to Portsmouth by moving their families there. They don't want to disrupt their children's education for the next couple of years. Portsmouth to Swindon is apparently not an impossibly long journey if they were to commute daily.. Two years ago I don't think the Swindon job would have appealed to them but I think it might now.
I think yours is the perfect club for the brothers to reboot their careers at and I believe they could give you some wonderful times as supporters. It goes without saying that if they did get the job I'd be putting my money where my mouth is.
I remember when you were robbed of your promotion to the top-flight. I didn't go to the play-off final but I recall my pal saying it was 1-0 but should have been ten.
One final and important point; you are now in safe hands financially aren't you? Lee Power no longer has anything to do with you has he?
Glad to say we are Power-less now. There’s still an ongoing court case between him and Standing as to whom owed what and that has also morphed into the club presently waiting on the result of an FA charge of Standung’s financial involvement with us when he was a football agent - which is against FA rules.
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:25:06 »

Sorry if I am being thick but your user name suggests you are a Sunderland fan, however from what you have written previously, you could also be a fan of Lincoln or Pompey?

I started supporting Sunderland in 1962. My first memory is of us blowing promotion on the final day away to Swansea Town.
Over the last thirty years my interest in my club has lessened as my football betting has become such a big part of my life.
So you could say I become a fan of whichever team my money is on but not a true fan in the purest sense.  
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:26:59 »

I think yours is the perfect club for the brothers to reboot their careers at and I believe they could give you some wonderful times as supporters. It goes without saying that if they did get the job I'd be putting my money where my mouth is.

Would you not be a bit concerned that our squad wouldn't suit the Cowley's typical playing style? We have essentially nobody who can play in the front three over about 5' 9 (one striker, but he's looked very bad to date). Obviously the window is open, but it would need some fairly significant surgery. Seems like it would be a concern before placing any money on us soaring!

I remember when you were robbed of your promotion to the top-flight. I didn't go to the play-off final but I recall my pal saying it was 1-0 but should have been ten.
One final and important point; you are now in safe hands financially aren't you? Lee Power no longer has anything to do with you has he?

Power is gone. New leadership in place, finances are stable but our budget is not believed to be exceptional for the division or anything.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:27:53 »

Thor was mentally disturbed and it was wrong to abuse someone with such a blatant mental illness, like shooting fish in the barrel. Even the Preston fans were aware on their forum of his "noetic shortcomings". Smiley

I wasn't aware of that - I thought he was just a 'troll'

I started supporting Sunderland in 1962. My first memory is of us blowing promotion on the final day away to Swansea Town.
Over the last thirty years my interest in my club has lessened as my football betting has become such a big part of my life.
So you could say I become a fan of whichever team my money is on but not a true fan in the purest sense. 

Ah that makes sense then. Welcome to the forum. Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:28:42 »

Welcome to the forum Mr Cowley Smiley

You'd think they'd be more Professionals.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:30:19 »

Er, don't bet on Swindon to do anything that's a "sure thing". HTH
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:30:58 »

we can get a sports almanac from the past and bring it to the future

(1 poster may get this)

Fuck you Batch, fuck you.. Smiley

One mistaken early hours drunken post from 15 years ago and it never gets forgotten - at least I didn't share my internet browsing history.  And at least it brings SiPi out of forum retirement every few years to let us know he is still alive Cheesy

Now everyone can just take some advice from Elsa and Let it the fuck go..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #175 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:31:56 »

You'd think they'd be more Professionals.
Only if we still had Doyle up front?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:33:20 »

Sorry Bernie, if you found all my stupid posts you could have another forum category!

That one sort of stuck in the mind for some reason...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:34:02 »

Only if we still had Doyle up front?

Yeah, but he's gone. Maybe signing Austin Bodies well.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:34:58 »

BTW I assume I am not the only one who got a Twitter notification from what I read as Swindon Town FC last night, the only bit of text showing on the notification being 'Club Vacancies' in my couple of glasses of red imbibed mind I thought' fucking hell they are advertising the managers job on twitter' was only a while after I realised it was actually a tweet from Swindon Town WFC after a Sports Scientist and Strength and Conditioning Coach

Roll Eyes
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:36:21 »

Would you not be a bit concerned that our squad wouldn't suit the Cowley's typical playing style? We have essentially nobody who can play in the front three over about 5' 9 (one striker, but he's looked very bad to date). Obviously the window is open, but it would need some fairly significant surgery. Seems like it would be a concern before placing any money on us soaring!

Power is gone. New leadership in place, finances are stable but our budget is not believed to be exceptional for the division or anything.

I think the Cowleys can adapt their style to suit the players available in the short-term. I'm sure that being competitive without being exceptional financially would be fine. I've seen other managers go into clubs and have the financial rug pulled from under their feet within weeks. That is what any manager should be wary of.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: