Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Official World Cup 2022 Thread  (Read 68619 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 15:28:18 »

Southgate is our most successful manager since 66.

Yet I doubt he'll be thought of as fondly as Bobby Robson.

I kind of feel the same, but I can't put my finger on why
If it hadn't been for the glorious failure at italia 90 I don't think Robson would have been looked back on that fondly, plus what he did post England (and being a genuinely great bloke) got his reputation up again.

Remembering the 88 Euros and aftermath I think Robsons legacy has been rather rose tinted by many fans and the media in more recent years.

Sent from my SM-A125F
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 15:29:35 »

But none of them in their right mind would take the England job, money likely only marginally better, the associated media ball ache and supporters calling for their head two games into a competition where to date they haven't lost.

Sad to say but if we are going down the English manager route it's going to be a Bruce or similar after a last pay day or much as with Southgate an appointment from within? One option slightly ouside that criteria option might be Rodgers, as the gloss seems to have gone at Leicester.

Sent from my SM-A125F

I have a feeling Eddie Howe might.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 15:32:42 »

I can see the wealthy Newcastle owners looking for a bigger profile manager in the near future which may give Howe the opportunity to manage England if the circumstances are right.

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 15:36:13 »

But none of them in their right mind would take the England job, money likely only marginally better, the associated media ball ache and supporters calling for their head two games into a competition where to date they haven't lost.

Sad to say but if we are going down the English manager route it's going to be a Bruce or similar after a last pay day or much as with Southgate an appointment from within? One option slightly ouside that criteria option might be Rodgers, as the gloss seems to have gone at Leicester.

Sent from my SM-A125F

If England want to win something - then the next manager should be Mourinho.

The football wouldn’t be pretty and the same people moaning about Southgate would be moaning about Mourinho but he’s a winner.

Not many English managers are.
DMC

« Reply #454 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 15:48:59 »

If England want to win something - then the next manager should be Mourinho.

The football wouldn’t be pretty and the same people moaning about Southgate would be moaning about Mourinho but he’s a winner.

Not many English managers are.
If he wins and they moan then fuck em. The last 12 months haven't been great though unfortunately, fans need more than a 6-2 against Iran to get excited probably
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:11:01 »

If he wins and they moan then fuck em. The last 12 months haven't been great though unfortunately, fans need more than a 6-2 against Iran to get excited probably

Granted the last 12 months haven’t been great but thus far Southgate has delivered good showings in the major tournaments.

Enough to be cut some slack against a very organised, high energies US side. In a game we didn’t *really* need to win…
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:12:30 »

Canada v Croatia is a cracking game.

So, give no fucks
DMC

« Reply #457 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:14:36 »

Granted the last 12 months haven’t been great but thus far Southgate has delivered good showings in the major tournaments.

Enough to be cut some slack against a very organised, high energies US side. In a game we didn’t *really* need to win…
He does but i don't think he should be above being called out for poor selection too. People wanting him gone shouting etc are just stupid but he needs a good competition in my opinion still.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:17:18 »

It will be interesting to see how England perform tomorrow evening as Wales have nothing to lose and will probably attack from the start.

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:26:19 »

He does but i don't think he should be above being called out for poor selection too. People wanting him gone shouting etc are just stupid but he needs a good competition in my opinion still.

Definitely. Agree on that.

We keep putting in those types of performances and we will go out and Southgates time will be up, no doubt.

Which was no doubt said after the 0-0 with Scotland.

Nemo used the phrase ‘group management’ we gotta hope that’s what is was…
Selection (and subs) weren’t great but if it means someone like Foden is fresher for the knockouts then no harm done.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:35:56 »

i am not coming out with anything ground breaking by saying that international football is a lot more competitive than it was in the good old days .  And history tells us that England didnt win that much in the good old days either.

I am sure that England will go on to have a good tournament - and maybe get to the last 8. 
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:52:22 »

It will be interesting to see how England perform tomorrow evening as Wales have nothing to lose and will probably attack from the start.
What are they playing wales at tomorrow? The world Cup game is Tuesday?

Sent from my SM-A125F
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:52:31 »

It's on Tuesday night Jim. Tomorrow is the last of the 4 games at 10,1,4 and 7.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 16:56:40 »

My mistake gents it's definitely Tuesday.

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Sunday, November 27, 2022, 17:38:02 »

Croatia clinical after going a goal down so early.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: