Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Tranmere Rovers pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 23034 times)
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 23:40:52 »

I watched the game and it never felt like a 352 at all.

It was more like a lopsided 442

Hutton      Brennan      Harries    FBT
(big space) Gladwin Khan Darcy Iandolo
                 Jephcott  Wakeling

Agreed I was struggling to figure it out, i think it was 5 3 2 fot the last 20 minutes
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #211 on: Sunday, November 13, 2022, 09:37:06 »

I watched the game and it never felt like a 352 at all.

It was more like a lopsided 442

Hutton      Brennan      Harries    FBT
(big space) Gladwin Khan Darcy Iandolo
                 Jephcott  Wakeling

1st half it was definately 352/532 when we defended, FBT came and sat closer to Harries and Iandolo came back to fill in as wingback/fullback.

But when we were attacking FBT naturally it seemed floated out wide to be a normal fullback and Iandolo pushed further forwards to become a left wing rather than a left wingback and we turned into a 442.

It looked fairly confusing as it left some holes in defence, as happened with the goal, Harries and Brennan left looking for each other while FBT was out nearer fullback rather than staying tight as a middle 3 CB's partly caused by Iandolo not coming back as the left back pulling FBT out wider than he should be.

As an experiment I felt it didnt work well enough, there was often large gaps between Harries/FBT/Iandolo and also between Hutton and Darcy on the right, 2nd half we pulled it in far more 442 with FBT more of a fullback after Lindsey noticed at HT it wasnt working, fair play to him for changing it as 2nd half we looked way better and probably just deserved the win.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, November 13, 2022, 18:53:26 »

If only we’d played the whole game as we did the last ten minutes it may well have been a better result.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, November 13, 2022, 19:00:03 »

If only we’d played the whole game as we did the last ten minutes it may well have been a better result.

If my Auntie had balls she’d be my uncle. But I get what you mean. Look at it like this. If we get promoted either directly or via the PO that one point my be the one we point out as being critical in achieving such glory.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, November 13, 2022, 19:11:21 »

It's fruitless to speculate about counterfactual situations.😀

So, give no fucks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, November 13, 2022, 20:11:01 »

If my Auntie had balls she’d be my uncle. But I get what you mean. Look at it like this. If we get promoted either directly or via the PO that one point my be the one we point out as being critical in achieving such glory.
Get what you mean, but on the other hand, if we’re two points short at the end of the season……….

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, November 13, 2022, 21:56:12 »

Get what you mean, but on the other hand, if we’re two points short at the end of the season……….

We will look back at throwing away 2 pts at Stockport against 10 men?
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, November 13, 2022, 22:27:05 »

Or depriving Bradford of two points with a last minute penalty!

Take your chips and fuck off home.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Monday, November 14, 2022, 03:20:46 »

…or if we’d taken a bit of gamble and had Williams on the bench.
Even putting him on when Reed came on (82) could have possible been enough.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Monday, November 14, 2022, 08:06:13 »

Horlock will blame the Daily Mail. 😁
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Monday, November 14, 2022, 09:09:10 »

Not read back - 15 pages seems low however.

After the first 20 minutes or so I quite enjoyed the game on Saturday. Enjoyed an excellent pint of stout in the glue pot and after again experiencing issues getting into the ground (I'll put more on a different thread about this) settled into an impeccably observed minutes silence.

First 20-25 minutes we were a mess. I guess with the new defensive pairing of Harries and Brennan getting to know each other and the energy of Williams missing Tranmere started the game better and scored a good goal. I was very concerned as looking at how they setup the middle of the pitch looked packed and I wondered how we would get our midfield into the game. The answer was that we didn't really need to, the out ball was Hutton every time and just when the natives were starting to turn restless, he whipped in a great delivery for the alert Wakeling to finish. Second half I felt we dominated the play, Tranmere looked relatively dangerous on the break but we were the better side and as usual 'dominated' without really creating too much clear cut. Wakeling had a brilliant second disallowed for a marginal offside call and Reed forced a good save from their keeper but apart from a flurry of corners and the Turnbull red card did we actually do enough for the 3 points? Maybe just. In the end we were fortunate to get the 1 as Tranmere should really have scored from that breakaway near the end.

I know Harries gets a hard time but after a shaky start thought he played quite well. For me was the better of the 2 centre halves. Hutton continues to impress down the right and Wakeling I thought was bright, energetic and caused Tranmere problems. Unfortunately, Jeff Cott I thought was poor, heavy touches at times and didn't seem to get into the game. Khan and Darcy kept us ticking along but Khan's positional sense and ball retention at times can be poor and puts us in trouble. I guess with Reed you don't get that so much but Khan's ability with the ball is better.

Overall I guess a handy point, a little disappointed not to take all 3 given the second half performance, but Tranmere are no mugs. Crewe at home next really should be 3.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Monday, November 14, 2022, 09:57:16 »

We were in the Glue Pot Bobster  Hmmm
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Monday, November 14, 2022, 10:04:45 »

We were in the Glue Pot Bobster  Hmmm

I thought it smelled of stale fart!! Smiley

There were a fair amount of Tranmere fans in there, were you guys standing/sitting right at the bar?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Monday, November 14, 2022, 10:34:45 »

I thought it smelled of stale fart!! Smiley

There were a fair amount of Tranmere fans in there, were you guys standing/sitting right at the bar?

To the right of the bar at a table, about 6 of us. The farts would be Flash.
Were you in there with your old man?
« Last Edit: Monday, November 14, 2022, 10:38:31 by 4D » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Monday, November 14, 2022, 10:59:02 »

Quote from: Bob's Orange
Unfortunately, Jeff Cott I thought was poor, heavy touches at times and didn't seem to get into the game.

Was thinking about this at the game.

I was crying out for 2 up top, but now we've switched I can see wakeling looked far better but not yet seen the uplift in jephcott.

Is there something we aren't doing to unleash his potential? Is it simply not yet clicking with Rome not built in a day? Is it I'm missing the things that he does that enables wakeling? is his goals return just fine anyway.

I've no idea.

Feel like I have to put this these days: I'm not having a go at jephcott. I'm just slightly disappointed in his goal threat, rightly or wrongly
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: