Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Tranmere Rovers pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 23026 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 16:32:21 »

Well, after our best and worst performances of the season in the last two we were probably due a middling one. Grew into the game after a shocker of a start, but we're a much more workmanlike attacking side without Williams in the eleven. Going to need to find new ways of threatening without him, we offered very little through the middle today - Hutton was a good outlet, and to be fair Iandolo was much better in the second half, but nothing much in the middle of the park. Surprisingly threatening from set pieces in the last 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 16:34:24 by Nemo » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #196 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 16:35:23 »

Fair play for Harries and Brennan who grew into the game after the early fuck up and looked fairly solid 2nd half.

Hutton MotM and Wakeling not far behind, Darcy improved 2nd half and Jephcott lead the line well.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 16:35:59 »

Just feeling for all the passing football we never get the ball down and run at players.

Iandolo got forward and the ball more the start of the second half but gets in the final third and just stops or goes inside. No harm in trying to take the full back on, what’s the worst that could happen?

Today felt like a game someone like McKirdy would have won for us because he’d put his head down and run at defenders.

I’m all for passing football but sometimes it lacks purpose. No harm in trying something different.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 16:37:10 »

Just feeling for all the passing football we never get the ball down and run at players.

Hutton does. We don't really do it through the middle though for sure.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 16:39:51 »

Hutton does. We don't really do it through the middle though for sure.

He does in part. Obviously I’m not suggesting we never run at players but Hutton tends to jink and drop the shoulder to get half a yard to cross it than get completely past the full back.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 16:43:22 »

Fair play for Harries and Brennan who grew into the game after the early fuck up and looked fairly solid 2nd half.

Hutton MotM and Wakeling not far behind, Darcy improved 2nd half and Jephcott lead the line well.

Thought that Harries & Brennan did ok.

That last free kick we had wide left that Gladwin took - I’d have let Harries whip that in.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 16:49:17 »

Assuming Franchise v Derby attendance is bigger than ours we had the third biggest crowd in leagues 1 & 2

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fixtures/_/date/2021001112

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 17:22:35 »

it was ok.

we improved, put in lots of crosses, but didn't really create much clear cut.

jephcott was quiet.

once Harries and Brennan worked things out they were ok. Poor first 20.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 17:39:33 »

We need to keep pace with the top 3 as Orient & Stevenage are starting to pull away then it's a scramble for the third spot.

So, give no fucks
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 18:25:00 »

Haven’t read back, but -

* Harries better second than first. Seems to be a player than will amble through a game. Gets sucked to the ball a lot, and that caught us out I think for their goal, and on other occasions. But more assured as the game went on. Credit to him for that.

* Tranmere did really well to change at half time to nullify Hutton. I think all they did was shift a midfielder slightly to their left/our right, so the pass wasn’t on.

* I miss us playing quick football in tight spaces. It gets the crowd up. We either play into space, or the easy pass, or the one over the top.

* loved the last 5, and a concerted period of pressure. They went close with Hemmings, and should have scored. On another day, we do as well.

* lt sounds as though Williams’ absence was behind the 3 at the back. I’m not a massive fan. I don’t think it adds to Hutton, and we lose a man in midfield.

* Get that World Cup money, and invest in January. I’d send Brennan back, and get a stronger loanee in (Brandon Cooper quality), another striker because we’re in trouble if one of Jephcott or Wakeling get injured, and we need some more creativity.

* Lavinier looked sparky. How can we squeeze him in as well as Hutton?

* interesting take on the minute’s silence in the DRS, with someone’s phone blaring music throughout.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 20:27:27 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 18:42:01 »

Missed today's game. Disappointed with a draw. From your reports it sounds like we didnt create much.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 18:43:00 »

Get the feeling that the shift to 352 was down to last week's result and trying to set us up to be harder to break against, though the Tranmere goal made a mockery of that.

My worry with 352 is we end up with the centre halves and holding midfield player behind the ball and if they aren't able to run with the ball through the lines we become very static. It also means Hutton's starting position is even higher and limits the space for him. SL has to try and square the circle of a back 4 and a front 2 without us being too wide open when we lose possession. I think having all of FBT, Clayton and MacDonald available may help this, but means there will be some muddling through till then.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 18:44:00 »

I wonder if Williams would have played if we weren't getting paid for his absence🤔

Fair comments from Mellon

« Last Edit: Sunday, November 13, 2022, 09:29:20 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 18:45:32 »

I watched the game and it never felt like a 352 at all.

It was more like a lopsided 442

Hutton      Brennan      Harries    FBT
(big space) Gladwin Khan Darcy Iandolo
                 Jephcott  Wakeling
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Saturday, November 12, 2022, 18:53:30 »

Expected a draw .  Unseasonably sunny afternoon.  Good crowd and lots for the attendance watchers to get their jollies over.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: