Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 24896 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 08:50:33 »

Not sure I have ever started one of these before and it will be my first game with my dad since the Exeter game in 2020. On and off the pitch a lot has changed and excited to be back 'at SN1' (as postcodes appear to be en vogue these days)

I'd fully expect us to win on Saturday and fairly handsomely given how bad Colchester look to be. I'll go for a 3-1 success.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 09:00:21 »

Have a feeling we might hand out a bit of a battering in this one. Which I don't usually get, so lump on a Colchester win...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 09:13:29 »

Bore draw 0-0. My last game for a month.
ColU will stop us shooting.
They have lost a few but most by a single goal.
 Pint

Att: 8,663 (207 away)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 09:20:22 »

They haven't been great in the league. But they aren't whipping boys either.

We have struggled to create anything in the box

An edgy 1-0 as they frustrate but we just find a little bit of quality and space late on
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 09:25:02 »

A promotion candidate should have the minerals to see this out but not expecting it to be easy. A comfortable win would be nice but will take the 3 points in whatever form we can get them. Would be disappointed if we can’t win this, although I know nothing about them this season other than what is immediately obvious from the league table.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 09:49:56 »

0-0 in front of 7,789 with 215 Camulodunums there.

Khan MotM.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 10:56:27 »

Since sacking Wayne Brown and replacing him with Matt Bloomfield they have a run of DWDLLLWWD in all games, they have only scored 10 goals in the league so far, the 4th lowest in the league.

Top scorer this season is Noah Chilvers on 3, Frank Nouble, John Akinde and Kwesi Appiah all on 2 goals.

They still have a very experienced side including the stalwarts Chambers, Smith, Skuse, Judge, Sears, Appiah, Eastman, Akinde, Nouble as well as Welsh international Huws, most of those players have played between 350 and 600 1st team games.

We havent managed to beat these since 2019 a run on 6 games and with town winning just 2 times in the last 15 meetings it can be said that they are very much a bogey side for Town.

In the 88 meetings Colchester have come out on top 35 to Swindons 32 wins, with goals scored almost level on 115 for Town and 114 for Colchester.

For games at the CG its edging Swindon with us winning 20 and Colchester 12 of the 43 games played, Town scoring 72 and conceding 47.

But, the poor run against this lot still goes back even at the CG with Town winning just 2 times in 12 games between the sides stretching back to 2005, Colchester having won 2 and drawn 1 in the last 3 meetings.

If we could get a decent home attendance of 8,803 or more then it will be the biggest home attendance against them since the New Years Day win under Macari in 86 when we went on and won the league, the next highest was the 8,436 we had last season, before then you have to go back to November 1974 when we just broke the 10k figure.

The only ex Town player at the club is Frank Nouble who has come back to haunt us a few times over the years since his short innefectice loan to Town from Wet Spam 12 seasons ago but although bullying us he has yet to score against us in his 12 appearances.

Colchester have a new keeper since giving Gherken a free at the end of the season and have Sam Hornby in goal who at 27 has only played 50 league games in his 8 seasons and has only kept 1 clean sheet so far in the league vs Bradford back in August.

But only Northampton and Orient have managed to score 3 goals against him which means they have only conceded 11 goals in the other 9 games in total.

They like to get the ball out wide and get lots of crosses into the box for the big men up front to attack.

They have been awarded 2 penalties so far and scored 1. (Swindon 1 pen 0 converted).
They have given away 3 penlties so far all converted. (Swindon 0).
They have had 22 yellow cards and 0 red cards so far.
Swindon are on 31 yellows and have the most bookings in L2.
They have had 48 shots on target against them
Swindon have had 58 shots on target against them.
They have made 34 saves.
Swindon have made 45 saves.
They have had 104 shots with 33 on target(3rd lowest behind Rochdale and Crawley).
Swindon have had 171 shots with 54 on target(2nd highest behind Stevenage).
They have given away 146 fouls and have been given 138 fouls.
Swindon have given away 128 fouls(2nd lowest) and have been given 113 fouls(3rd lowest).
They have had 171 crosses to Swindons 217.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 11:06:11 »

Swindon 1 Colchester 1 Att:8,088 (162 away)

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 11:39:07 »

Last 6 in the league Colchester are w1, D2 l3, putting them 19th in the form guide. the win 2-1 last time out v Harrogate, who are bottom of the form table.

we are 8th (w4 l2)

I'm using that as my optimistic outlook
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 12:47:43 »

I'm using that as my optimistic outlook
You've changes since you got older yesterday Smiley you used to be all about the defeat!

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 14:24:31 »

You've changes since you got older yesterday Smiley you used to be all about the defeat!

With great age come great wisdom. No wait.

Yeah, I am being a bit more optimistic than normal. No idea why. Give it a couple of defeats and I'll get the pitchfork out.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 14:47:40 »

Think we will sneak it by the odd goal.

The concern would be how we deal with a big physical lump up front
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 14:51:59 »

Swindon have been given 113 fouls(3rd lowest).

That's super interesting, isn't it? Considering that most of us would say Jonny Williams is pretty adept at winning fouls, are the rest of the team just bobbins at it? Because we have plenty of possession, it's not just that we don't see the ball!
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 15:04:47 »

That's super interesting, isn't it? Considering that most of us would say Jonny Williams is pretty adept at winning fouls, are the rest of the team just bobbins at it? Because we have plenty of possession, it's not just that we don't see the ball!

Got a feeling that is more that lots of our possession is low risk, side to side stuff, so no need for the opposition to commit fouls?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 13, 2022, 15:08:17 »

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/159/Show/England-Swindon

Swindon players ranked by the number of times they're fouled per game on average: (this season)

McKirdy 2.2
Williams 2.0
Khan 1.7
Brennan, Lavinier 1.0 (small sample)
Everyone else 0.6 or below

Really notable drop off that. Tyrese Shade at 0.2 is one who feels like he should win a lot more with his style.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: