Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Northampton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21990 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Saturday, October 1, 2022, 17:45:04 »

Losing today was not the end of the world but puts added pressure on to Tuesdays game followed by a hard away game next week end.

So, give no fucks
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Saturday, October 1, 2022, 17:45:55 »

Think today is the first time we’ve missed mckirdy. Northampton looked a decent side, solid at the back and some throat going forward. We just didn’t have enough to break them down and create clear cut chances. Needed a bit of a spark that just wasn’t there. Enough to beat most teams in this division but not enough to beat the better sides.

Agree with that, we fell into their trap of playing the ball around and keeping possession which allowed them to fill the box and negate passing our way through apart from the one well worked goal. Would have taken the point and then moved on to Tuesday to keep the run going but alas it was not to be. Thought that Khan in midfield might well have made a difference on what I have seen of him so far.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Saturday, October 1, 2022, 17:51:12 »

Agree with that, we fell into their trap of playing the ball around and keeping possession which allowed them to fill the box and negate passing our way through apart from the one well worked goal. Would have taken the point and then moved on to Tuesday to keep the run going but alas it was not to be. Thought that Khan in midfield might well have made a difference on what I have seen of him so far.

Lindsey didn't help by saying in his pre-match interview that we don't cross the ball very much for a league 2 team and that we  ook to pass the ball  until we get an opportunity which sets to any team we play defend deep and get numbers back.

So, give no fucks
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Saturday, October 1, 2022, 18:37:06 »

Disappointing. Very average game, wasn’t too bothered by the lack of entertainment at 0-0. Wakeling and Clayton the standouts for me,  class from Wakeling to set Williams up. Game went down hill when he took Reed off. Darcy looks busy and gets about but find him having to run back to chase mistakes/catch up a lot, missed Khan today imo. Gladwins worst game of the season. FBT shocker conceding that free kick, absolutely no need. Crap from Iandolo too losing the ball for the second, but why on earth is he coming on in a game like this. He’s nowhere near ready/fit enough is he? Hutton’s crossing pretty poor, give Lavenir a go on a Tuesday. Individual mistakes and poor subs is why we lost today imo. Northampton be around the play offs, lucky their main man Hoskins wasn’t around today….

Tuesday a win needed, anything less than a win and I feel you can kiss a temporary goodbye to all the momentum gained from the last 3.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Saturday, October 1, 2022, 18:49:12 »

Post match - two things of note:  how many more times can we work on defending the back post in training and Reed nearly getting sent off again.

Northampton perspective

« Last Edit: Saturday, October 1, 2022, 19:03:46 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Saturday, October 1, 2022, 19:10:59 »

Some of our fans really fucking annoy me.
We had a dickhead sat behind us who managed to start slagging Gladwin off in the first minute and continued to do so for most of the game.

He wasn’t great today, but to get on his back right from the start is just madness.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 05:35:06 »

For anyone who hasn't seen the goals

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 07:50:54 »

That's a shocking miss by Brennan

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 08:16:51 »

Disappointed with the result? Yes.
A way needs to be found to increase Jephcott's touches in the opposition box stats.
That's where the goals will come from.

Downhearted? No.

Can the team compete for the play offs? Based on recent evidence, yes.

Does the team have that certain je ne sais quoi of a top three side? No, not yet.
I suspect that if Northampton had scored first then they would have held on for the win.
But having taken the lead then protect the clean sheet and if the opposition equalize then don't lose the game or find a way to win it, that's what teams that end up in the autos do.

Very good attendance but in the main pretty quiet throughout.
Do we want this or not?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 08:57:22 »

Very good attendance but in the main pretty quiet throughout.
Do we want this or not?
I hadn't realised how quiet we were until a 'come on you reds' when we got a corner. We'd all been sitting in silence.

In fairness the TE did have a bit of atmosphere going early on, but the cagey, tactical first 60 minutes really sucked the life out it.
-------

incidentally I thought they had a stonewall pen in the first half. a push on their man as Brynn came to gather

but equally there was the tube their defender protected the back by sitting on it in their box. I think it would have been an indirect free kick though
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 09:17:57 »

Was Colin Calderwood on the touchline and if so was there any appreciation given🤔

So, give no fucks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 13:40:14 »

A little disappointed we couldn’t hold on to our slim lead however in general think that the team is showing signs of starting to gel and we’ll play a lot worse sides than North Trumpton.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 15:23:02 »

Disappointed to lose as I thought neither side really deserved to win that game. we competed well but didn't create enough clear chances / work their keeper. For all our nice play we didn't get enough good balls into the box.
Two poor goals conceded, although I thought we should have had a free kick at the start of the move which led to the winner.

Northampton very physical - we were out muscled at times - there were echoes of defeats against similar sides last season - PV and Bradford immediately come to mind. Possibly had Khan been available it would have helped a bit in that aspect of the game.
Jephcott came over to the bench and asked to come off - he pointed to his groin, so that was an injury substitution.
Reed was clearly walking a tightrope - having been booked, he got a long talking to for telling the ref that their man who fouled Williams should have had a yellow too (he had a point but the length of the conversation suggests he may have overdone it a bit), so probably right to substitute him (had he got a red we'd all have said "why wasn't he substituted?").

if we can get 6 points form the next two games and we will be back in the mix.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 15:27:20 »

I haven't found yesterday's "rate the ref" thread - but i thought first half he did ok in trying to let the game flow, but after half time he became inconsistent in his calls (not booking their man for a foul on Williams shortly after the Reed booking being the obvious example), and he was shocking in his approach to the usual time wasting from Northampton.
5 out of 10. 
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, October 2, 2022, 15:37:24 »

I had no issue with Reed being taken off, he was all but asking to be sent off.  However, Iandolo isn't fit, is he?  he was so far off the pace of what was a slow game in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: