Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Sutton United pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 24116 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 16:35:14 »

Probably I’ll advised as you say, but don’t actually mind it. Lot more passion than you get from SL in the interviews. He would definitely benefit from some media training if we plan on having him around for long enough to be worthwhile!

Good point you make about the media training.

So, give no fucks
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 17:08:58 »

Fans can be overly precious about staff giving as good as they get.

Imagine being on the receiving end of some of the bile spewed by elements of the faithful and having to hold your tongue.

Not easy, trust me.
And yet welcome oppo teams giving it back.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 07:41:35 »

Rather have the chaos of Tuesday than the mind numbing shite of last Saturday.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 07:56:04 »

I know people have mixed feelings on xG, but this was interesting to me at least:

https://twitter.com/xG_data/status/1569957807960506368/photo/2

Suggests a fairly even game chances wise and two goals (our first, their second) that were extremely unlikely to end in goals (ours keeper error, theirs just a stonking effort).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 08:08:30 »

closer than I thought

our first two goals were fortuitous, but I thought the jephcott chances would have us clear
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 08:20:02 »

The thing is though, you can call them fortuitous, which they were, but I see it as a reward for actually having a shot and putting the ball in the box.

Defenders and goalkeepers are shit at this level. They will make mistakes. We just need to give them the opportunity to fuck up. We won't do that by aimlessly passing it side to side. So tuesday night was progress for me.

« Last Edit: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 08:24:30 by Pericardinho » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 08:53:36 »

The thing is though, you can call them fortuitous, which they were, but I see it as a reward for actually having a shot and putting the ball in the box.

Defenders and goalkeepers are shit at this level. They will make mistakes. We just need to give them the opportunity to fuck up. We won't do that by aimlessly passing it side to side. So tuesday night was progress for me.

I don't think we disagree particularly here. Certainly L2 goalkeepers are more likely to make mistakes than higher division ones. It just shows the outcome bias we all have - at Gillingham we had 23 shots, but none of them went in so we all thought it was a disaster. xG for those two games was actually fairly similar (1.25 at Gillingham, 1.58 vs Sutton), we just got luckier in one game than the other - which happens, it's fine.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 08:56:30 »

I don't think we disagree particularly here. Certainly L2 goalkeepers are more likely to make mistakes than higher division ones. It just shows the outcome bias we all have - at Gillingham we had 23 shots, but none of them went in so we all thought it was a disaster. xG for those two games was actually fairly similar (1.25 at Gillingham, 1.58 vs Sutton), we just got luckier in one game than the other - which happens, it's fine.

I heard Lindsey on the radio say we had around 56 entries into the Gillingham box and the ball was only in play for 51 minutes equating to more than one a minute!

So, give no fucks
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 09:01:18 »

But against Gillingham we didn't create enough scenarios where luck could become a factor. The ball hardly ever went into the box. It just went from side to side. Also our misses in that game weren't unlucky. A header from 6 yards and Jephcott firing over from point blank. Just shit finishing.

I do understand the point you are making but I saw those two games completely differently. XG is fine but requires context.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 09:02:18 »

I heard Lindsey on the radio say we had around 56 entries into the Gillingham box and the ball was only in play for 51 minutes equating to more than one a minute!

What's your point?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 09:11:35 »

why : https://twitter.com/TrustSTFC/status/1570325279649976326?t=E6h7L4UpXl5pgzhGAFldHQ&s=19

The club have reported today that after Tuesdays game there was a lot of vandalism in the Town End of Seats and Toilets being broken. This is really unacceptable and is no way to support the club or team, it costs the club money.  If you see this report it to the club! #STFC
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 09:17:06 »

why : https://twitter.com/TrustSTFC/status/1570325279649976326?t=E6h7L4UpXl5pgzhGAFldHQ&s=19

The club have reported today that after Tuesdays game there was a lot of vandalism in the Town End of Seats and Toilets being broken. This is really unacceptable and is no way to support the club or team, it costs the club money.  If you see this report it to the club! #STFC

Human beings in being dickheads shocker. One can only assume there is a line of thought behind this?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 09:18:17 »

Human beings in being dickheads shocker. One can only assume there is a line of thought behind this?

I suspect there are some lines behind it, but I don't know if they're thought-based.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 09:22:08 »

Years ago you used to get vandalism inside the ground when both sets of fans clashed now you get it because they're cokesd out of their minds.

So, give no fucks
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 10:46:00 »

Everyone (and certainly our management team) can get bogged down by stats to try to paint a different picture.  I base my opinion between the 2 games on one thing, what I watched.  The two games were similar in regards to the disjointed performance, but the difference was, and the reason why we managed to score 3 goals is that we got the ball into the box more often.  You make your own luck by getting the ball in or around the goal. We weren't unlucky not to score at Gillingham, we didn't look like scoring because we spent the game passing around midfield.  I would guess that the majority of those 23 shots, came from outside of the area and didn't get past the first man - it's not as if the Gills keeper was pulling off save after save, like Brynn was on Tuesday.

Sometimes you have to just call it as you see it because the stats just distort the reality.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: