Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 37732 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Thursday, October 6, 2022, 18:40:24 »

Iv been very critical of the townend overall but thought they were quite good on Tuesday. Sometimes I think the more chavs that come out for a potential fan clash the better the atmosphere. As per Newport game
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Thursday, October 6, 2022, 19:53:16 »

Beating Bristol City in 2014 was special

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 00:09:34 »

100 % this. The club need to do something to address it i think, not sure what but i would try singing areas or something

Drum? Naughty
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 06:06:35 »

Drum and Bass
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 07:28:48 »

Best home atmosphere this season was Stockport.
Excellent vocal support throughout the game.

We were actually talking about just this subject Tuesday night and reminiscing how good the atmosphere used to be in the TE. That was when it was terracing that clearly helped.
The trouble with the TE it is a shit view. I for one would seriously consider moving back in it if the stand was rebuilt and it was upgraded.
The DR will sing but again it’s all gone a little flat.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 08:06:27 »

^ when it's rebuilt  Wink
I think a fresh 5k seater (hopefully safe standing) TE will be popular, and ramp up the atmosphere.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #456 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 09:10:40 »

It’s been absolutely shit at home for years now. Like a library most of the time.
Ramps up when we score but then reverts back to being flat.
Not bad away from home.
Very much this, not sure what the solution to that problem is though.

Back in the 70, 80s and 90s the CG was a fortress where away teams hated coming due to the hostile atmosphere, but that has subsided into nothingness in the last 20 years.

There have been no more than a handful of games in the last 15 years that have evern been noteworthy, Man City and Exeter in recent years but thats it.

It may coincide with no player seeming to get the crowd motivates as McKirdy did, which was why he was a bit of a cult hero, those sort of players don't seem to exist any more. Kamara and Shaun Taylor being 2 prime examples who motivated fans as well as the players.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 09:27:25 »

Back in the 70, 80s and 90s the CG was a fortress where away teams hated coming due to the hostile atmosphere, but that has subsided into nothingness in the last 20 years.

Controversial theory which I'm not sure I quite believe myself.  Making grounds all seater and family sanitised has largely killed the atmosphere.

But then again, I liked going to the ground with kids without the risk of being bricked or crushed. And was the atmosphere that bad as soon as we went all seater. I don't think so.

So lets go with the younger generation are all a bunch of snowflakes who aren't replacing us old farts through fear of upsetting someone.

I mean its not true, but writing this drivel has distracted me from what I am supposed to be doing.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #458 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 09:49:07 »

I mean its not true, but writing this drivel has distracted me from what I am supposed to be doing.

New TEF tag line
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 09:55:20 »

I seem to remember back in the late 90s and early 00s there was a vocal section in the back right corner of the DRS, getting that back and opposite the away fans might be help.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 10:04:14 »

I seem to remember back in the late 90s and early 00s there was a vocal section in the back right corner of the DRS, getting that back and opposite the away fans might be help.

The Town End was the family stand until about 2000. The first time I remember noise coming out of there at any real level was the Danny Invinsible Peterbrough game in 2001(?)

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 11:12:50 »

Quote from: Broadbents Tackle
The Town End was the family stand until about 2000. The first time I remember noise coming out of there at any real level was the Danny Invinsible Peterbrough game in 2001(?)

my first game was the 27th cup replay v Bolton in 1989

the thing that absolutely hooked me was the atmosphere.

is my memory playing tricks, because it tells me the atmosphere between the shrivy and town end was eclectic?
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 11:22:31 »

my first game was the 27th cup replay v Bolton in 1989

the thing that absolutely hooked me was the atmosphere.

is my memory playing tricks, because it tells me the atmosphere between the shrivy and town end was eclectic?

The Town End would have still been terracing then, no? I first went in '93 and by then the seats were bolted in and it was the family stand.

I should have mentioned this in my original post, but I wasn't sure exactly when the seats when in and it changed. Pretty soon after Hillsborough, I think.
« Last Edit: Friday, October 7, 2022, 11:27:50 by Broadbents Tackle » Logged

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 11:25:55 »

Controversial theory which I'm not sure I quite believe myself.  Making grounds all seater and family sanitised has largely killed the atmosphere.

But then again, I liked going to the ground with kids without the risk of being bricked or crushed. And was the atmosphere that bad as soon as we went all seater. I don't think so.

So lets go with the younger generation are all a bunch of snowflakes who aren't replacing us old farts through fear of upsetting someone.

It’s the threat of being bricked that pumps the adrenaline! The only game I can remember with bricks being thrown inside the CG was the league cup game v Millwall.

Now that was an atmosphere!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 11:34:46 »

The Town End would have still been terracing then, no? I first went in '93 and by then the seats were bolted in and it was the family stand.

I should have mentioned this in my original post, but I wasn't sure exactly when the seats when in and it changed. Pretty soon after Hillsborough, I think.

It was terracing in 89. We played Plymouth last game of the season around that time, I know the fencing was in place as I got stuck on it  Embarrassed
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: