Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 37709 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:33:28 »

Stop it with this thoughtful type of musing.

Apologies, I forgot about the 80% bollocks in a moment of weakness..  I'll let everyone else continue spouting..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:34:51 »

Don't think rugby is now going ahead.

Still why are other forms of entertainment and leisure unaffected?

RFU have confirmed that their fixtures go ahead this weekend.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:35:01 »

Horse racing resumes Sunday so I presume the next round of fixtures will go ahead as planned.

It’s 1 game on 1 Saturday. Even if it’s lip service what does it really matter.
Matters a lot if you go every week.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:35:15 »

Just out of interest what happened with fixtures when Di died, I don't recall all this uproar then?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:36:46 »

Just out of interest what happened with fixtures when Di died, I don't recall all this uproar then?

She was an outcast, given special approval to even get the State send off I think.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:37:08 »

Di was a tragedy, the Queens death was expected.  She died of old age not an unexpected accident.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:43:40 »

This is a ruling monarch, so if you want to compare, take a look at what happened when George went.  It happened 70 years ago, so doesn't make much sense to.

Whether people like it or not, this is a truly unique event for the very vast majority of the country, so you can pick the details of the decision as much as you like, or you can just accept that this is the decision that has been made and move on.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:45:58 »

Actually to answer my own question I suspect they were cancelled as the funeral was on the Saturday after she died, I remember my mate turned up to watch it at ours with beers, which after a week of naked old people I needed, so pretty much like watching the football.

Its only 1 day, spend it with your family or whatever, considering how perpetually miserable many are with town on here at the moment, might be a blessing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:46:01 »

can't see many gatherings in Swindon taking police resources.

London, yes
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:48:02 »

London, yes

Knackers are being moved all over the place, see my earlier post about the tour of Britain being binned as they cannot police it, so I suspect a fair few Wiltshire old bill will be being deployed up in the smoke for the next week or so.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:49:27 »

London, yes

What do you think happens when the Met need re-enforcements for an unplanned event?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:49:42 »

ah yeah, fair point given its Newport.

they'll have to come back for Tuesday though Wink
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:56:02 »

Because a pub/cinema/theatre doesn't need the same level of infrastructure and control as a gathering of 10k/20k/50k people all meeting in one place.

It's really not difficult to understand, people comparing cinemas to a live professional sporting event really have not thought things through..

Like it or not, the emergency services will be more under pressure at the moment due to the unplanned events and people gathering that is bound to take place for an unpresidented event like this, so to ask them to be available for let's say 80 sporting events over the weekend to add to that pressure on top of those unplanned events that will be taking place, it's hardly surprising that they took the simple decision of just cancelling those sporting events for one weekend.  Not taking into account everyone saying that those that want to mourn just stay at home with the curtains drawn, if you work for the emergency services you won't have that choice.

People just need to chill..  It's one game.  The outrage on Twitter would be ammusing if it wasn't so pathetic.

Nailed it

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 12:09:08 »

So we can see the usual suspects moaning about something other than the football this weekend.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 12:13:53 »

Matters a lot if you go every week.

If you go every week, I’d suggest it matters less because you can just treat it as a week off.
I go to work every week - doesn’t mean I don’t mind missing a week!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: