Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 37984 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:48:34 »

Glad it's off

I'm hoping to catch up on BBCs rolling news coverage showing sad people outside Buckingham palace taking selfies again.

Maybe they can chase cars to get photos of sad looking royals like they did yesterday.

R.E S.P.E.C.T
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:49:35 »

Absolutely this. I really struggle to understand why sport is always viewed in isolation. Those who wished to mark their respect in the method of the game being postponed could have elected to stay at home for their period of reflection, rather than putting everyone into the same basket.
Is the distinction not the nature of the event. Is tribalism and people trying to beat each other at something really appropriate during a period of national mourning?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:50:19 »

I'm going to the cinema if that's allowed. I can mourn at my poor film choice I guess if it's terrible.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:50:25 »

Not disappointed as had been due to miss the Newport game.

After Gillingham last week, I was returning to Kent this weekend for Maidstone v Solihull.

In passing, I don't really understand why sport is considered suitable to close down for respect but presumably not pubs n clubs, concerts, restaurants, leisure shopping etc - none of which are likely to bother with even a minute's silence.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:56:55 by RedRag » Logged
adje

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:51:02 »

Absolutely this. I really struggle to understand why sport is always viewed in isolation. Those who wished to mark their respect in the method of the game being postponed could have elected to stay at home for their period of reflection, rather than putting everyone into the same basket.
I agree

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:53:08 »

Horse racing resumes Sunday so I presume the next round of fixtures will go ahead as planned.

It’s 1 game on 1 Saturday. Even if it’s lip service what does it really matter.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:53:28 »

The rugby is going ahead

Please make any of this make sense

It's an absolute shambles and an insult to football fans who pay good hard earned money to get their only release from a shit week.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:54:27 »

Horse racing resumes Sunday so I presume the next round of fixtures will go ahead as planned.

It’s 1 game on 1 Saturday. Even if it’s lip service what does it really matter.

It wouldn't matter if they were consistent.

If you want to force a country to mourn, then shut everything down and put us into a weekend lockdown.

You can't pick and chose which leisure events to chalk off. It's bollocks.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:54:40 »

Glad it's off

I'm hoping to catch up on BBCs rolling news coverage showing sad people outside Buckingham palace taking selfies again.

Maybe they can chase cars to get photos of sad looking royals like they did yesterday.

R.E S.P.E.C.T

I personally enjoy the bits where the media tell us 'we are all feeling a sense of loss' as 'she was part of all our families'.  Or she was our 'spiritual godmother'.

Im really going to be gritting my teeth for a couple of weeks aren't I.

Never knowingly overstated.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 10:55:59 »

The rugby is going ahead

Please make any of this make sense

It's an absolute shambles and an insult to football fans who pay good hard earned money to get their only release from a shit week.
Don't think rugby is now going ahead.

Still why are other forms of entertainment and leisure unaffected?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:06:52 »

Because a pub/cinema/theatre doesn't need the same level of infrastructure and control as a gathering of 10k/20k/50k people all meeting in one place.

It's really not difficult to understand, people comparing cinemas to a live professional sporting event really have not thought things through..

Like it or not, the emergency services will be more under pressure at the moment due to the unplanned events and people gathering that is bound to take place for an unpresidented event like this, so to ask them to be available for let's say 80 sporting events over the weekend to add to that pressure on top of those unplanned events that will be taking place, it's hardly surprising that they took the simple decision of just cancelling those sporting events for one weekend.  Not taking into account everyone saying that those that want to mourn just stay at home with the curtains drawn, if you work for the emergency services you won't have that choice.

People just need to chill..  It's one game.  The outrage on Twitter would be ammusing if it wasn't so pathetic.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #116 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:07:12 »

They aren't I know of 5 comedy gigs with friends in that have been cancelled so far including our local one here tomorrow (Sarah Millican is going ahead) the local street fair (an annual thing down here) has also been cancelled, my sisters marathon on Sunday has been cancelled too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:19:16 »

It wouldn't matter if they were consistent.

If you want to force a country to mourn, then shut everything down and put us into a weekend lockdown.

You can't pick and chose which leisure events to chalk off. It's bollocks.
EFL and PL weren’t told by anybody to cancel fixtures. As separate organisations they themselves chose to cancel as, they thought, a mark of respect.

Just pretend it’s been pissing down or it’s snowed like fuck and the game is off!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:26:06 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

Just pretend it’s been pissing down

[power]
no refunds
[/power]
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 11:28:17 »

Because a pub/cinema/theatre doesn't need the same level of infrastructure and control as a gathering of 10k/20k/50k people all meeting in one place.

It's really not difficult to understand, people comparing cinemas to a live professional sporting event really have not thought things through..

Like it or not, the emergency services will be more under pressure at the moment due to the unplanned events and people gathering that is bound to take place for an unpresidented event like this, so to ask them to be available for let's say 80 sporting events over the weekend to add to that pressure on top of those unplanned events that will be taking place, it's hardly surprising that they took the simple decision of just cancelling those sporting events for one weekend.  Not taking into account everyone saying that those that want to mourn just stay at home with the curtains drawn, if you work for the emergency services you won't have that choice.

People just need to chill..  It's one game.  The outrage on Twitter would be ammusing if it wasn't so pathetic.

Stop it with this thoughtful type of musing.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: