Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 91   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2023-2024: they come and go  (Read 216252 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 09:46:10 »

The way I saw Garner leaving was that he'd be under pressure here to get promoted, he'd be under pressure there to get promoted - they are a bigger club and presumably pay more.

The fans never really took to him here anyway.

I'd love to know if there were any STFC issues that pushed him away too- did he know things were going to change recruitment strategy wise. Did Chorley know... I guess we'll never find out.

He’d have been under pressure from the fans for sure but he was last season as well but obviously Clem stuck with him.

Clem thus far has proven to be quite a loyal employer to be fair.

Probably lots of factors as why Garner picked Charlton over Swindon but I doubt the probability of being sacked by Charlton in 6 months was something he was bothered about - for him it’s a big pay day I expect.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 09:50:04 »

To give you an idea though, Crofts at Brighton was all but ready to come here as manager, and then Brighton came in with a new contract believed to be around 6 xs more than what a manager gets in this league. Madness now what coaches at these clubs are earning

Apologies if going over old ground here, but that means Crofts was our first choice as we clearly offered and it sounds like he accepted terms before Brighton gazumped us. I thought the message from the board was that Scott Lindsey was (always?) our #1 choice?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 09:51:36 »

I remember reading that he had a house somewhere around SE London so that may have been a contributing factor. On the surface Charlton are a big club with lots of history but like Watford and it's owners it's become one of the most unstable jobs in English football.

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 09:53:29 »

Apologies if going over old ground here, but that means Crofts was our first choice as we clearly offered and it sounds like he accepted terms before Brighton gazumped us. I thought the message from the board was that Scott Lindsey was (always?) our #1 choice?

The length of time it dragged on I would say Lindsey was the only choice with the package that was on offer.

So, give no fucks
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 09:54:24 »

Wasn’t that more the spill coming from Sandro, as opposed to the board/Clem.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 09:56:19 »

No board/manager in history has ever said that their appointee was fourth choice though. Didn't the FA try and pretend Steve McLaren was first choice when they'd offered the job to Scolari?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:06:27 »

I remember reading that he had a house somewhere around SE London so that may have been a contributing factor. On the surface Charlton are a big club with lots of history but like Watford and it's owners it's become one of the most unstable jobs in English football.

Not sure we can claim the high ground here on our 7th manager of the 2020's Only 2 of which have been caretakers) with the fans now clamouring for an 8th.

How long a contract is Lindsey on as that may also be feeding into Clem's thoughts.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:07:32 »

Sandro spin, Crofts was lined up, Brighton stepped in, Crofts backed out - easily spinnable to say that we didn't actually offer any contract and he turned it down so that you can say that Lindsey was our first choice.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:11:18 »

No board/manager in history has ever said that their appointee was fourth choice though. Didn't the FA try and pretend Steve McLaren was first choice when they'd offered the job to Scolari?

Sandro spin, Crofts was lined up, Brighton stepped in, Crofts backed out - easily spinnable to say that we didn't actually offer any contract and he turned it down so that you can say that Lindsey was our first choice.

Absolutely agree on both counts. I guess when the board have put the 'open and honest' mantra over the club's head it doesn't exactly scream that, but I totally understand why it was spun in the way it was.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:15:03 »

Not sure we can claim the high ground here on our 7th manager of the 2020's Only 2 of which have been caretakers) with the fans now clamouring for an 8th.

Arguably none of those managers have been sacked though. Sheridan probably closest, but Wellens, Garner and McGreal (remember him?) all definitely left of their own accord for better things.

Last manager we properly sacked was Phil Brown in November 2018.

Part of the managerial instability is that anyone who has a half decent six months here seems to get a move up the chain.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:17:13 by Nemo » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:15:59 »

I guess when the board have put the 'open and honest' mantra over the club's head

Surely that isn't unlimited in scope though.

As you say, its completely understandable in this case.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:36:43 »

Club can say what they like but if it takes you 6 weeks to appointment someone already at the club - there is absolutely no chance in hell he was first choice nor is there any chance in hell you will convince anyone otherwise.

I mean if Lindsey had spent the summer in a Greek monastery up a mountain - I’d somewhat get it but…

If you’re appointing someone at club (and who is first choice) you do it straight away and bang on about ‘continuity’
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #342 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:47:54 »

Cowley brothers sacked from Pompey
My Pompey mate says the football under them has been shocking.

One trick pony at Lincoln, bully boy manager and bully boy tactics don't cut it outside of L1. Told Huddersfield and Pompey  fans he only played that was at Lincoln because that was the players that were avaiable to him, then proceeds to play the same style at Huddersfield and Pompey.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:54:07 »

Club can say what they like but if it takes you 6 weeks to appointment someone already at the club - there is absolutely no chance in hell he was first choice nor is there any chance in hell you will convince anyone otherwise.

I mean if Lindsey had spent the summer in a Greek monastery up a mountain - I’d somewhat get it but…

If you’re appointing someone at club (and who is first choice) you do it straight away and bang on about ‘continuity’

My thoughts exactly, if Lindsey was always the first choice they would have appointment him straight away.

So, give no fucks
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 10:55:08 »

Arguably none of those managers have been sacked though. Sheridan probably closest, but Wellens, Garner and McGreal (remember him?) all definitely left of their own accord for better things.

Last manager we properly sacked was Phil Brown in November 2018.

Part of the managerial instability is that anyone who has a half decent six months here seems to get a move up the chain.
McGreal would do a far better job than Lyndsey.  Did a decent job with no money at Colchester and the majority of their fans were sorry to see him go.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 91   Go Up
Print
Jump to: