Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fixtures Day/Pre-Season  (Read 5450 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:12:40 »

Just looking at places we've toured outside of England in the past on the great website that is swindon-town-fc.co.uk.

Most recently we've been to Italy and one training camp in Portugal where we played Rovers behind closed doors.

Most common seems to be Ireland, mainly Republic but one Northern Ireland tour in 99 too. We've also done Finland a bunch of times in the 90s, Cyprus once.

Getting away preseason dried up early 2000s until we didn't go anywhere until the famous Copa Ibiza win of 2006 followed by Austrian tours where Simon Cox scored a wonder goal while we were still in training kits.

We also set up camp in the south of the Netherlands a couple of times in the 90s, playing mostly non league sides there on what looks like a local park. Can't imagine that was the best preparation.

Touring outside of England wasn't very common before the 90s. Outside of a few Scottish tours, we went to Malta in 1986 and did both Germany and France in 1957.

Superb post.

I would love to do any of them.

Clems Army!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:13:27 »

Weymouth  Smiley
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:13:30 »

We had Swansea booked for preseason last season before the whole takeover drama happened. Maybe they'd be happy to rearrange for this season.

I can see preseason being a bit shorter this season though if we're starting in July. Our players looked tired towards the end of games this season, so a proper preseason getting them as fit as possible would be welcomed.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:16:35 »

Maybe a nice tour in Devon taking a local team or two as well as any from Torquay, Exeter & Plymouth

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:19:49 »

Maybe a nice tour in Devon taking a local team or two as well as any from Torquay, Exeter & Plymouth
This would suit me Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:20:33 »

This would suit me Smiley

😀😀

So, give no fucks
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:21:13 »

Looks like we also went to Spain and only played Everton U23s a couple of seasons ago as well.

The more recent ones in Spain, Italy, Portugal, etc. haven't really been preseason tours with proper games in stadiums you can go to, though. More like a training camp where they may play one team in a training session or something.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:22:04 »

We had Swansea booked for preseason last season before the whole takeover drama happened. Maybe they'd be happy to rearrange for this season.

I can see preseason being a bit shorter this season though if we're starting in July. Our players looked tired towards the end of games this season, so a proper preseason getting them as fit as possible would be welcomed.

Considering I assume we will not be subject to a break during the world cup, I am not so sure why we are starting any earlier than normal.

How long before the seasons starts are the players in normally, the seasons starts in 9 sodding weeks so its likely to be truncated anyway. I would hope we get a lot of business sorted in the next fortnight so we can start preparing, its actually pretty shit for the teams who are in the play off finals as they will have a couple of weeks less than the others to prepare, but such is life.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:25:12 by horlock07 » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:22:47 »

Maybe we'll go on a pre-season tour of Pakistan and play the mysterious Karachi FC?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:27:55 »

Eastleigh (A) July 16th.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:30:52 »

Couple of these in in the period of no going abroad before Copa Ibiza playing Bideford, Taunton and Notts county at Bidefords ground.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Friendly=YES&Season=2005-2006

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Friendly=YES&Season=2004-2005

We played Huddersfield in Copa Ibiza too. It seems to make sense to go to the same place maybe a League One or Championship team is going to and set up camp there so you can play them and the locals as well.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:32:56 »

Considering I assume we will not be subject to a break during the world cup, I am not so sure why we are starting any earlier than normal.

Because the Championship is stopping and they want Leagues One and Two to start the same time, would be my guess. But yeah, it doesn't completely make sense.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:35:12 »

Because the Championship is stopping and they want Leagues One and Two to start the same time, would be my guess. But yeah, it doesn't completely make sense.

Bristol City away at their training complex could be another one as we've played them a couple of times in pre-season recently.

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #28 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:35:44 »

This.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #29 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 09:36:07 »

Bristol City away at their training complex could be another one as we've played them a couple of times in pre-season recently.
I expect Palace youths too in the same type of game.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: