Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Port Vale pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 73266 times)
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 18:40:09 »

Back to matters on the pitch…
Those who are saying a home loss by 2-1 or even 3-1 could be ok because of our regular season away form be a little optimistic.
In the regular season, every game stands alone - 3 points at stake, and usually an expectation that home teams will at least try to attack. This has helped our counter attacking football.
A team holding a lead from the first leg can “park the bus” with 8 or 9 behind the ball and look to grab a decisive goal on the break or from a set piece. Unlike regular season, the home fans will be happy to watch their team “see it out”.
We have struggled to break down teams doing that at home, why should it be different away?
On the other hand, if we are level after the home leg you get back to the single game being decisive and fans expecting the home side to do something positive- which would be easier for us to replicate regular season approach and result.
This will be a tight two leg tie - could be decided by a piece of brilliance, a mistake, a scruffy goal from a set piece, a referee’s decision or even penalty kicks.
I think we will win narrowly over two legs.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 18:51:58 »

It’ll be a slaughter. Wait and see.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 19:15:02 »

Back to matters on the pitch…
Those who are saying a home loss by 2-1 or even 3-1 could be ok because of our regular season away form be a little optimistic.
In the regular season, every game stands alone - 3 points at stake, and usually an expectation that home teams will at least try to attack. This has helped our counter attacking football.
A team holding a lead from the first leg can “park the bus” with 8 or 9 behind the ball and look to grab a decisive goal on the break or from a set piece. Unlike regular season, the home fans will be happy to watch their team “see it out”.
We have struggled to break down teams doing that at home, why should it be different away?
On the other hand, if we are level after the home leg you get back to the single game being decisive and fans expecting the home side to do something positive- which would be easier for us to replicate regular season approach and result.
This will be a tight two leg tie - could be decided by a piece of brilliance, a mistake, a scruffy goal from a set piece, a referee’s decision or even penalty kicks.
I think we will win narrowly over two legs.
I know we've had our problems at home but I think we've increased the tempo a little just recently.  Vale may park the bus and see what turns up in the first leg.  But I'm not sure that any L2 sides will be convincing when "parking the bus" at home.  That will communicate nerves to a home crowd that will be transmitted back. 

With our counter-attacking strengths, I can see some advantages to a 2-1 win on Sunday over a 3-0 and "sit on the lead" approach at Vale Park.

Que sera, sera Pint
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 19:23:37 »

I was one of the ones that piled into that police van! Probably 82-83 right? Pissing with rain? Only good thing that ever happened to me in Burslem.

Lost 3-0 if I recall.
Unbelievable if you were one of the fans that got picked up.😂
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 19:24:47 »

I’m too old to get into punch ups over a game of football and at 61 the last thing i need after my heart scare is a good fucking beating at the hands of feral thugs especially with my 18 Y/O son a potential target. So if we manage to get tickets do I drive or go by SAS coach or just hire some SAS vets?

Certainly got to have your wits about you even now.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 19:34:09 »

Lost 3-0 if I recall.
Unbelievable if you were one of the fans that got picked up.😂

Yep, that was me. It was this game wasn't it. http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19830124

3-0 sounds about right when they had Neville Southall in goal and Jimmy Greenhoff up front. Miserable afternoon.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 20:44:52 »

Certainly got to have your wits about you even now.

Coach it is then, unless someone knows any ex SAS vets looking for an evenings employment 😁
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 06:36:27 »

So who heard me on the radio this morning then?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 06:37:57 »

Non
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 08:05:55 »

I’m too old to get into punch ups over a game of football and at 61 the last thing i need after my heart scare is a good fucking beating at the hands of feral thugs especially with my 18 Y/O son a potential target. So if we manage to get tickets do I drive or go by SAS coach or just hire some SAS vets?

I wouldn't depend too much on army vets, when we used to do work in the shittest parts of Liverpool we used to use a company who employed ex military as security guards to stop stuff like the plant getting nicked.

Often didn't end well with the local scallys pelting them with bricks etc and leading them to retreat to their hut, which the scroats then set on fire! 
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 08:39:52 »

So who heard me on the radio this morning then?
Sorry no,  but did hear them say we’d sold 5,000 tickets already, think it’s going to be an almighty scrap when they go on general sale.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 08:44:48 »

Sorry no,  but did hear them say we’d sold 5,000 tickets already, think it’s going to be an almighty scrap when they go on general sale.

I do wonder if anyone listens to local breakfast radio - it's all rather Alan Partridge. Apart from my bit that is.  Smiley

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 08:58:30 »

Do we know when away tickets are on sale?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 09:22:26 »

Judging by the Man City game home allocation with the corner of the Arkells is circa 12,500 for a TV game. Should still be a lot to shift, but getting the stand you want is probably going to be a struggle if you're not super quick tomorrow morning.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 09:39:01 »

Do we know when away tickets are on sale?
Just phoned ticket office.

Guy had no idea when. 

Nor what eligibility conditions might apply. 

Unsurprisingly, he described the office as "snowed under" with the home ticketing arrangements.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: