Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v L’Orient pre match and match day thread  (Read 22207 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 05:57:00 »

After the shitshow of last summer we need to give Garner a full pre-season and a chance to try (along with Ben Chorley) to build on this season, however some of the performances- especially at home, have been abysmal.

Its been reminiscent of watching us under Williams- academy/ testimonial football. My biggest concern is the intensity or lack thereof and our lack of match sharpness/fitness.

Personally can't see Garner here long term especially if we start next season like the last few months of this! Hope he proves me wrong.

I think that’s the consensus from most out fans.

That Garner has done well enough this season with all the challenges to deserve a proper go at it next season…however…we don’t think the tactics/formations/game management and therefore results will change…and repeating this seasons would see him sacked.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 06:41:52 »

exactly so DV
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #482 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 07:14:39 »

Absolutely agree.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 07:27:04 »

So someone deserves a chance even if it's generally thought they won't do the business?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #484 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 07:35:24 »

So someone deserves a chance even if it's generally thought they won't do the business?
Absolutely, many players and sometimes managers in their first season do not perform or manage to a level deemed good enough, if they continue to not reach the desired level then fine get rid of them.

Its not like hes an older manager like Phil Brown who everyone knows won't improve given time but hes only 41 in his 2nd professional management job, if he doesn't learn from his mistakes then get rid of him, we don't know how much he has control over players/tactics/team selection for all we know Ben Chorley could have a huge hand in those things.

For me I would prefer a more experienced DoF above him who is not in it for the money (Jewell) and doesn't have links to the previous regime (Chorley) but we know that won't happen as apparently all signings have been instigated by Chorley if you listen to the rumours put around.

Also we cannot afford to get rid of Garner, he has just signed a new 2 year contract and even if hes on say £1,500 pw (seems a reasonable figure to me) then thats a handshake of £160k which I doubt we can afford especially if the budget cut rumours are found to be true.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 08:11:19 »

Quote from: 4D

That depends really.

I think it's hard to say he won't do the business with any certainty.

I 100% worry we have a new Luke Williams, but promotion has repeatedly been stated isn't a target this season.

So can you sack him for not achieving a non-target.

A squad put together in no time with no real preseason. and ripped apart by the 'the window' and key injuries.

Obviously the risk is he is a new Luke Williams and we stagnate another year.

I guess I'm sitting on the fence
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 08:28:40 »

Yes.

Someone deserves the chance to prove people (us) wrong.
Just because I / you / we all think things won’t change, doesn’t mean they won’t.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 08:30:43 by DiV » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 08:32:43 »

I'd rather see someone come in alongside him if we stagnate. My biggest irritation this year is we continued to play much the same way in games even when it was obviously not working.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 08:47:03 »

I'd rather see someone come in alongside him if we stagnate. My biggest irritation this year is we continued to play much the same way in games even when it was obviously not working.

I’ve said this (not the only one) but an experienced helping hand from say Tony Pulis (who he worked with at Palace and WBA) would probably work wonders for all involved.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 09:14:09 »

Quote from: 4D

most of us think the same thing 4D
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 09:40:35 »

Its been said to death but this season was very much a free hit for Garner, his remit from Clem and Co was always to avoid relegation and clearly on that front he's been able to deliver that. Obviously the way the season ended up going and with the standard of players we were able to sign, finishing around 10th does seem a huge disappointment. There were huge positives, our early season away form, run to the third round of the cup, the big wins over Northampton and Walsall did show that we had it in our locker at times. But on the other side of the coin there were far too many turgid displays, mainly at home. Based on what we saw this season it's clear that Garner doesn't (yet) have a huge tactical play book, to his credit he ditched the 5 at the back to the 4 which seemed to provide an upturn in form albeit briefly. Given where we were with 10 games left, it's a huge disappointment that we haven't made a better fist of promotion, especially given the sides in league 1 next season would provide huge crowds consistently at the CG.

Next season it will be interesting to see how ambitious Clem and Rob are, surely the remit has to be for promotion. Its likely to be another rebuild but I think this is good that the Ben's can hopefully build a strong squad of talented players keeping an eye on the loan market - this season's loans, Gilbert aside were a success. Like others, let's give Garner next season and take stock when Nov/December comes. If he can add more tactical nous and intensity into our home performances then I think he'll do well. Clearly the natives are already restless and a poor start to next season isn't going to go down well.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 10:26:50 »

I wasn't aware that Garner had just signed an extension, the way I read it was that he signed a 3 year contract when he came in. I haven't seen anywhere said that he has signed an extension, just confirmation that he is contracted until 2024.

I might be completely wrong and have missed something somewhere though.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 10:27:43 »

Its been said to death but this season was very much a free hit for Garner, his remit from Clem and Co was always to avoid relegation and clearly on that front he's been able to deliver that. Obviously the way the season ended up going and with the standard of players we were able to sign, finishing around 10th does seem a huge disappointment. There were huge positives, our early season away form, run to the third round of the cup, the big wins over Northampton and Walsall did show that we had it in our locker at times. But on the other side of the coin there were far too many turgid displays, mainly at home. Based on what we saw this season it's clear that Garner doesn't (yet) have a huge tactical play book, to his credit he ditched the 5 at the back to the 4 which seemed to provide an upturn in form albeit briefly. Given where we were with 10 games left, it's a huge disappointment that we haven't made a better fist of promotion, especially given the sides in league 1 next season would provide huge crowds consistently at the CG.

Next season it will be interesting to see how ambitious Clem and Rob are, surely the remit has to be for promotion. Its likely to be another rebuild but I think this is good that the Ben's can hopefully build a strong squad of talented players keeping an eye on the loan market - this season's loans, Gilbert aside were a success. Like others, let's give Garner next season and take stock when Nov/December comes. If he can add more tactical nous and intensity into our home performances then I think he'll do well. Clearly the natives are already restless and a poor start to next season isn't going to go down well.

Good post BO, very balanced.

I would not be remotely upset to see Garner go. Having said that, I’ll not be devestated if he’s here next season. I’m the perpetual fence sitter on this
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 10:29:26 »

I wasn't aware that Garner had just signed an extension, the way I read it was that he signed a 3 year contract when he came in. I haven't seen anywhere said that he has signed an extension, just confirmation that he is contracted until 2024.

I might be completely wrong and have missed something somewhere though.

You are correct
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Thursday, April 21, 2022, 11:14:06 »

You are correct

Not going completely mad then

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: