Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Suttonred  (Read 8206 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 19:31:12 »

Horrible news and a horrible day. But I feel I should clear this one up. Back in the MyOnlySwindon days none of us had met Kingston Robin, so we jokingly decided that Sutton Red was performing him as a character act.

This went on for a while until the real Kingston Robin turned up on a train from an away game (I forget which) and he became and still is an active member of the London Reds.

As was Sutton. He was a class bloke, I've many happy a memory of going to games with him and he was at every meet up to watch us on telly in the capital. Too many stories to share but my favourite is this.

Late on in the Di Canio season, I went to a home game, these outings usually saw me stumble home at some ungodly hour but on this occasion, I had promised my then partner I would get the first train back post-match and turn up at a reasonable hour.

This I attempted, hot-footing it at full time to Swindon station.

Unfortunately, there was an issue on the trains and we crawled into Reading after about two hours with no chance of getting to Paddington. I stood alone and forlorn on the platform trying to work out when the next train to Clapham Junction was while fielding increasingly hostile calls from home.

Just then another delayed Paddington bound train from Swindon stuttered into the station.

'Oi OI'.

I turned around to see Sutton leaning out of the window grinning at me while clutching a half-consumed six pack. He, me and a couple of others drank these and more as we navigated our way back to South London's most populous rail terminal.

After that, things get hazy but I do have a vague recollection of being asked to leave The Falcon in Clapham Junction after Sutton and I stood on barstools to inform the, largely uninterested, Saturday night patrons of what happened in 1969 on 'League Cup Final Day' through the medium of song.

I finally staggered in circa midnight slurring my insistence that 'it wasn't my fault, blame the trains' and 'my mate [Sutton] said you could ring him and he would vouch for me'.

She didn't take me up on this offer and was distinctly unamused.

I was though. As I was every time I was in fortunate enough to be his pressence.

Sleep well my friend.
Now that is a typical day at football for me,love the story and the excuses, been there, done it, all part of a football fans day out,  RIP Sutton.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 19:33:32 »

If anyone wants to send a card to the family feel free to PM me for the address

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 07:16:28 »

Horrible news and a horrible day. But I feel I should clear this one up. Back in the MyOnlySwindon days none of us had met Kingston Robin, so we jokingly decided that Sutton Red was performing him as a character act.

This went on for a while until the real Kingston Robin turned up on a train from an away game (I forget which) and he became and still is an active member of the London Reds.

As was Sutton. He was a class bloke, I've many happy a memory of going to games with him and he was at every meet up to watch us on telly in the capital. Too many stories to share but my favourite is this.

Late on in the Di Canio season, I went to a home game, these outings usually saw me stumble home at some ungodly hour but on this occasion, I had promised my then partner I would get the first train back post-match and turn up at a reasonable hour.

This I attempted, hot-footing it at full time to Swindon station.

Unfortunately, there was an issue on the trains and we crawled into Reading after about two hours with no chance of getting to Paddington. I stood alone and forlorn on the platform trying to work out when the next train to Clapham Junction was while fielding increasingly hostile calls from home.

Just then another delayed Paddington bound train from Swindon stuttered into the station.

'Oi OI'.

I turned around to see Sutton leaning out of the window grinning at me while clutching a half-consumed six pack. He, me and a couple of others drank these and more as we navigated our way back to South London's most populous rail terminal.

After that, things get hazy but I do have a vague recollection of being asked to leave The Falcon in Clapham Junction after Sutton and I stood on barstools to inform the, largely uninterested, Saturday night patrons of what happened in 1969 on 'League Cup Final Day' through the medium of song.

I finally staggered in circa midnight slurring my insistence that 'it wasn't my fault, blame the trains' and 'my mate [Sutton] said you could ring him and he would vouch for me'.

She didn't take me up on this offer and was distinctly unamused.

I was though. As I was every time I was in fortunate enough to be his pressence.

Sleep well my friend.

Cracking post.
It’s why I still do this home and away. Gone from the crazy lads getting up to all sorts of laughs to going with my lads and still meeting up with some of the old gang.
Those stories stay to the end, they numb the pain when results don’t work out and most of all they still raise a smile.
Mate you keep carrying his flag, it’s a loyal Supporter thing that never leaves me. We’ve lost a few and we’ve lost some real decent Supporters.

Love posts like this and not enough.
Never forgotten and watching from the 5th stand.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 06:34:20 »

Hi all,

Sutton's funeral is next friday 6th of May.
If anyone would like to make a contribution towards their preferred charities (2 hospitals), please message me for my bank details and I will do a lump sum donation on the day in conjunction with the London Reds.

Thanks all.

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, May 5, 2022, 20:14:06 »

Hi all

Thanks to all who donated - I have given it to his wife this evening. She was amazed with how much was raised

Thanks again

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, May 5, 2022, 20:33:30 »

I meant several times to write to her in sympathy, couldn't find the words. which is shit.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: