Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Town fans in East Berks  (Read 4970 times)
Walthams

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, February 28, 2022, 12:53:29 »

I do not live in Berkshire anymore but a couple of years ago before I moved I knew 5 Swindon fans around the Walthams and at least 8 in Wokingham.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, February 28, 2022, 14:04:25 »

Used to live in West Berks/North Hampshire border but Berkshire is such a small county that you're never more than 8 miles from a Reading (or even worse Chelsea) fan when there  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, February 28, 2022, 14:06:35 »

Basingstoke was mostly Southampton shirts when I lived there. Until Reading went up that is...

Maybe it'll go full circle
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, February 28, 2022, 14:20:32 »

Basingstoke was mostly Southampton shirts when I lived there. Until Reading went up that is...

Maybe it'll go full circle

Possibly so.

'Ampshire massiv tho innit blud Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #34 on: Monday, February 28, 2022, 15:20:33 »

I always thought that Basingstoke was like a more run down/dirtier/rougher smaller version of Swindon every time I have visited it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, February 28, 2022, 15:44:37 »

I always thought that Basingstoke was like a more run down/dirtier/rougher smaller version of Swindon every time I have visited it.

Always assumed the same, whilst I have changed trains there on numerous occasions I have never set foot outside the station, exactly the same with Derby (always assumed it was a dump changed trains there 10's of times but never left the station (And Coventry in fact!))!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, February 28, 2022, 15:57:22 »

Basingstoke is a weird place in some respects. It's kind of the epitome of a nodnoL overspill and commuter Town. Everything is purely for purpose. Like this is where the people live, this where the shops are and this is where the entertainment is. Three very separate chunks and no real merging of anything; especially concerning house to shops. I suppose they tried to create some kind of communal village up near the Hospital but ironically it just feels rather sterile and lacking any true character.

I suppose the same could be said of many Towns but Basingstoke definitely stuck out as quite starkly one of those places with "not much in between". In contrast Newbury at least has some history Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, February 28, 2022, 16:46:36 »

Up until 2002 it was an absolute shithole of a town centre. Worse than Swindon.  So they knocked a lot of it down, built Festival Place shopping centre, a cinema and some restaurants and while its no doubt suffering like anywhere its miles better than Swindon centre.

Outside the town its much like any newer town really, some good bits, some shit bits and some out of town shopping. And like Swindon a short drive to some nice places in the countryside.

Its places like Aldershot you have got to worry about.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 28, 2022, 16:49:46 by Batch » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 09:34:13 »

It's not that bad nowadays. Quite similar to Swindon still only the Town Centre is fairly modern. I got married just outside B'stoke, nice countryside around it (also similar to the don)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 09:51:31 »

I've had an evening at the Hatch, near Old Basing.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 10:05:43 »

TBF I am basing my views on going there around 2010 and it was like a bomb had been dropped in certain places of the town centre while there was development going on but what was left was an absolute eyesore, I had a few programming courses in the centre and it was rough. Now though, I only go through on the train when going to London.

Last time I went through it in a car I was visiting Silchester Roman site and that was about 8 years ago, I didn't stop in Basingstoke....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Westberks

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 10:05:56 »

Hi Tails. We used to dominate North Street in Theale / Englefield with 100% of the footy fans in the street (2) but one of us has now moved to Silchester. Both season ticket holders.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: