Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22191 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Sunday, January 30, 2022, 15:44:00 »

It's spilt milk and no doubt been discussed on the training ground today. Time to move on and prepare for two important home games and hope that the new signings hit the ground running.

So, give no fucks
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Sunday, January 30, 2022, 17:52:30 »

A rueful shake of the head as their goal went in.
Not too disappointed.
Win the next two and it becomes a decent point.

Good overall contribution from Davison.
Obvious similarities with Andy Carroll in both look and style of play.

Iandolo is developing into a fine attacking left wing back.
Given time, I'm sure that the defensive side of his game will start to improve as well.

Other than that, just about managing to keep up with the relentless pre and sometimes post match drinking pace of young molepar.

Don't know about anyone else but I'm thoroughly enjoying this season so far.

Big fan of wobbly and his measured analysis👍 It was pointed out to me recently that Ellis is a converted left back/wing back as he started in centre mid.

Ellis put in a cracking ball for the goal but he needs to understand that his defensive duties should be primary (perhaps not his fault🤷‍♂️). Would love to see a naturally left footed centre half behind him. Conroy sadly thinks of himself as hoddle/franz which he ain’t. I thought we were in total control of the game yesterday and should’ve won that at a canter (watched on ifollow).

We’ve all seen many a time a manager whose tactics cost us. We saw it last week (by garner lacking confidence in his bench) and ‘I feel happy with a point’ approach when we should’ve been dominant and gone for the jugular. We saw his frailties yesterday too. He’s like an overly cautious wellens in his decision making/confidence in the team.

Kind of related but we’ve got a ready made attacker/forward in Harry Parsons who locally was the best youngster in his position (no, I’m not his dad😃). What’s happened? Garner wants to play keep ball so has hindered his progress as he’s too scared to give the ball away so pops it off and goes again rather than doing what got him a professional contract-getting the ball and driving at the opposition and scoring goals.

As for ‘the general’ - not a great trainer and not as good on the ball as other options in his position? Who cares🤷‍♂️-he could still have been an asset as a squad player. Perhaps garner was too stubborn for his own good?

To summarise, yes the season has for most of us exceeded expectations, but let’s not waste this opportunity we have to capitalise using the top 6 squad we have and get back to league 1 football.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:08:07 »

Haven't read back so I imagine there are some emotionally charged posts from Saturday to go through!

It was a frustrating afternoon of course to come away from the 'insert generic sponsor' stadium with only a point. Especially as for the most part Colchester were hopelessly inept and offered next to nothing. Obviously we had the change up front and Davison came in for Simpson and what was noticeable was that he was so much better in the air and provides more of an 'out' than Simpson did when the ball is launched more directly and he was able to win headers as we looked to retain posession higher up the pitch. Unfortunately with that you lose the strength and good play with the ball to feet, that Davison doesn't seem to do so well. Early days but his finishing was profligate, but that will hopefully come with more game time.

First 20 minutes were pretty even. Colchester's game plan seemed to be to try and limit the amount of time on the ball Louis Reed had, and that worked quite well as Reed struggled early on I thought. Jojo had to make a smart save but it was evident as the half wore on that Colchester's game plan of playing a high line but not really pressing very aggressively was a pretty poor tactic. Their offside trap was hilariously bad and they didn't really seem to have any cohesion at all. They were the poorest side I have seen in a long time which is surprising as they have a decent enough first 11 on paper. We bossed the first half and really should have gone in ahead. Intelligent header back to Davison who probably had too much time and forced a decent save, but really should have scored.

Second half, more of the same really. We got in so many times and I was getting a bit frustrated, only for Iandolo to find a delicious cross into the box which McKirdy couldn't really miss. Then the GK shenanigans. Davison seemed to tangle legs with George and in trying to get free earned himself a kick in the legs for his troubles. Straight red for another opposition keeper!! I couldn't see from the replay but it appeared the ball was dribbling slowly out of play and looked to be still in play when the incident took place but the officials disagreed and no penalty. Ted Collins the youth keeper donned the gloves and he must have been horrified as the Colchester players seemed to be running in treacle as another through ball put in both JML (who I thought looked offside) and Jonny Williams. I thought JML was pulling back to let Williams through, but JML was taken out outside the box and then Williams was impeded in the box by Chambers. He earned a straight red presumably for a professional foul, rather than 2 yellow card challenges? Either way Colchester were down to 9.

The last few minutes were a bit of a horror show really. Reed hit a pathetic free kick into the wall (I think he was a little below par all game really) and we tried to play keep ball to run the clock down. It nearly went awry as Conroy was sold short and was lucky to get away with being fouled but then Gladwin fouled on half way and allowed Colchester the only real way they were going to get anything out of the game by lumping free kicks into the box. They earned a corner, then another, and well we know how it ends. Poor marking and the 9 men get their equaliser. An exciting period of injury time where it looked like Ted Collins clumsily crashed into Davison in the box after he had won the header but nothing given and we go home with a point.

2 points dropped against a criminally poor Colchester side, hopefully we don't rue those points come the end of the season. My Man of the match was Iandolo. He really has improved this season and his deliveries into the box get better and better also. Seems a long time since he repeatedly overhit crosses into the Stratton Bank! Also a shout to Akin Odimayo who was excellent again I thought. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:56:42 »

the ref got the second sending off right, first offence denied goalscoring opportunity.

don't agree with whoever said we played plan B and looked worse. Second half was perfectly decent apart from not scoring more and cocking up defending the corner.

agree the subs made us worse but I think with 10 men (then 9) opposition and a game Tuesday I can see why we did it.

Think it was quagmire who said this and I agree with you Batch. I'm not sure it is plan B as such but we now do look longer if we are being pressed, or there are no easy options at the back. With Mckirdy and Williams as well as the wing backs (and Payne when he is back) ability to run into the channels I think it's an option we are using more and more and I think we look a much more dangerous side for it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:00:52 »

Would not be surprised to see Conroy pushed into midfield

I've been thinking about this as well. Conroy for all his ability on the ball just lacks a lot of defensive attributes. His concentration levels tend to wane, he's not particularly good defending balls into the box, for me he ball watches a lot and doesn't seem to have the conviction a good centre back does. As Theakston says, he also doesn't appear very vocal and lacks organisational skills.

adje

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:05:01 »

I've been thinking about this as well. Conroy for all his ability on the ball just lacks a lot of defensive attributes. His concentration levels tend to wane, he's not particularly good defending balls into the box, for me he ball watches a lot and doesn't seem to have the conviction a good centre back does. As Theakston says, he also doesn't appear very vocal and lacks organisational skills.
To replace who,though?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:05:53 »

Conroy would be shit in midfield, it’s a stupid idea. He’s not mobile enough to play there

He’s a middling league two centre back, and will have days where he looks good and days where he looks shit. He has his strengths, but as has been said, actually defending isn’t one of them (and never has been)

Things get better but they never get good
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:07:52 »

To replace who,though?

Sadly for Dion probably nobody. I think his best position is probably now on the bench.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:13:04 »

To replace who,though?
This is the problem Garner now has, on merit Conroy shouldn’t be in the team especially with Cooper signing but I fear Garner will shoehorn him in still because he’s ‘captain’. Being in possession of the armband shouldn’t make someone immune from being dropped and like anything else the captaincy can be changed.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:14:55 »

Hardy a glowing reference to dislodge a midfielder there!

As noted he is a middling L2 CB, if he were a better defender or passer he would be playing at a higher level.

We need to get away from this idea that he is some sort of lower league Hoddle, as I fear he reads what some fans say and believes it himself.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:15:43 »

I’ve always been uncomfortable with loan players replacing contracted players - Unless Garner is planning to jettison a fair few of those players whose contracts end in June
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:18:38 »

Hardy a glowing reference to dislodge a midfielder there!

As noted he is a middling L2 CB, if he were a better defender or passer he would be playing at a higher level.

We need to get away from this idea that he is some sort of lower league Hoddle, as I fear he reads what some fans say and believes it himself.

It's a quandry. Garner clearly likes him as he is good on the ball and a calm presence but I don't think he is captain material and the more I think about it, midfield is not an option either so wonder what the future is for him.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:19:37 »

I’ve always been uncomfortable with loan players replacing contracted players - Unless Garner is planning to jettison a fair few of those players whose contracts end in June

Ultimately both Cooper and Conroy are the same in that their deals expire at the end of this season.

Incidentally for those ITK are their manoeuvrings behind the scenes to lengthen Conroys contract as he would appear one who could do a job at L1, unless Garner doesn't agree.
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:22:30 »

Ultimately both Cooper and Conroy are the same in that their deals expire at the end of this season.

Incidentally for those ITK are their manoeuvrings behind the scenes to lengthen Conroys contract as he would appear one who could do a job at L1, unless Garner doesn't agree.

Conroy would struggle in league 1

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 17:04:33 »

Conroy one of the best players on the pitch Saturday and the only defender with a long range pass in his locker. Would be absolutely stunned if he is not playing the next few games.
Both him and Reed are pivotal to the way Garner sets us up to play.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: