Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Northampton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 24552 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Sunday, January 2, 2022, 11:11:22 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey
Have another look at Simpson’s goal. Just as he attempts to control the ball he gives a Cobblers defender what looks like a small nudge that stops him in his tracks - and he’s no lightweight either.

He’s one strong mother.

looked like the defender bounced off him from my seat!

was such a good goal. perfect.

then he missed that sitter to make it 6 Smiley
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Sunday, January 2, 2022, 12:34:54 »

It should be the theme tune from the magic roundabout and nothing else.

Good shout!

I have always wanted them to play the Moonraker theme as the players come out. Add a much needed bit of class to proceedings Smiley
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Sunday, January 2, 2022, 14:08:06 »

Well I never thought Garnerball could be entertaining. Seeing as I never went to the game, I remain unconvinced, one summer and all that.
I'll pop along to the next home league game and see what occurs.
Make sure you're there for 1'o'clock !!

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Sunday, January 2, 2022, 14:38:52 »

I’ve just remembered the Northampton player giving it large to us in the DRS at 2-1 hahahahahaha fuck off
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Sunday, January 2, 2022, 14:48:43 »

Marley is back if you like that kind of thing...which I do...

https://twitter.com/marleystfc/status/1477653619583426565
Hunk

« Reply #380 on: Sunday, January 2, 2022, 15:29:17 »

Marley is back if you like that kind of thing...which I do...

https://twitter.com/marleystfc/status/1477653619583426565

I find his videos absolutely hilarious
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Sunday, January 2, 2022, 15:31:45 »

Well I never thought Garnerball could be entertaining. Seeing as I never went to the game, I remain unconvinced, one summer and all that.
I'll pop along to the next home league game and see what occurs.

It's behind you then?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Sunday, January 2, 2022, 15:54:11 »

I’ve just remembered the Northampton player giving it large to us in the DRS at 2-1 hahahahahaha fuck off

The Electric Squirrel did likewise to balance thinks up when he scored his fourth, nice touch.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Monday, January 3, 2022, 10:52:47 »

Just watched the highlights again on Quest. Absolutely exquisite control and pass from Jonny Williams to Tyreece who laid it on for McKirdy for the third.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 10:21:24 »

(for NMH. Smiley ) I've not read back (yet) so will give my thoughts.

Firstly I am going to be 'that guy' and start off with a bit of a moan, which does seem churlish given we won 5-2 against the team that started the day in second place. Our defence, particularly from set pieces continues to give me kittens. Northampton are a fairly direct team that play to their strengths, mainly corners, long throws, free kicks into the box. Their delivery from Pinnock was generally on point and we struggled time after time to defend it. I thought Guthrie was offside for their second goal but ignoring that Horsfall headed wide when easier to score, out jumping Jojo from a corner and from a free kick they managed to mess one up when 4 players had the chance to score, luckily they didn't. That high defensive line from free kicks really really needs work, we seem to get caught out badly every time from it. Aside from that Northampton's equalising goal was so disappointing. I couldn't believe that Iandolo was firstly caught too far out of position, and then seemed to be jogging back allowing their striker a free strike on goal - that he hit very well to be fair. I personally think that we caught Northampton on a good day, they were running on empty long before the end and their defence couldn't cope with our superior pace and fitness. I think their manager said they only trained the day before the game, and after 60 minutes, you could tell.

All that being said. We were much more on it. I thought we played well first half and after a good move, started by the excellent Tyrese Simpson, Payne's ball into the box pinballed off 2 Cobblers and McKirdy put away nicely. Hugely lucky, but one of those days McKirdy just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Northampton's equaliser was a poor one to concede from our point of view and we ended the half on the ropes, lucky not to go in behind. It might just be me, but at times after we concede we do tend to go to pieces and lose all our composure sometimes. (I think this happened against Port Vale?) Second half was barn storming. Guthrie scored what looked like an offside goal, from a free kick but the key goal was our equaliser straight away, more pinball in the box and McKirdy swivelled for 2-2. Moments later class from Williams, bit of a lucky deflection off Simpson which again fell for McKirdy for 3-2. The goal of the game was next, Simpson taking a ball into his patch expertly, driving forward and smashing the ball home with his wrong foot. Clearly the defenders showed him onto that weaker foot, but he showed it's not just for swinging with. (don't get too excited Jimmy!! Smiley ) Finally a good save from a Reed free kick which again fell favourably for McKirdy who finished very well from a tricky(ish) angle. Had to laugh at the fella in the motorised wheelchair that moved towards the advertising hoardings, I believe that might have gone viral now, seemingly he was famously involved in a pitch invasion at Northampton before!!

So overall a much needed win and performance at home, in the end we should have won 8-2 but on another day we could have lost that had Northampton not totally run out of gas. McKirdy's 4 goals by definition makes him man of the match, but I thought Simpson and Williams were also excellent. I know it's part of his game to win free kicks but I wish Williams wouldn't spend so much time on the floor, personally i'd like him to get on with it, keep the momentum going. Still not perfect, but definitely so much better than previous home games. Long may it last!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 11:01:40 »

Iandolo was firstly caught too far out of position, and then seemed to be jogging back allowing their striker a free strike on goal

Seems quite prevalent. Jog towards the player with your hands behind your back just in case.

gone are the psycho, Dix and Sold Davis defending days. Mores the pity
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 11:03:43 by Batch » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 11:27:52 »

Most tackles seem to end up with the ref blowing for a foul these days, even clean ones.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 11:43:18 »

Most penalties are contentious these days with forwards exagerating any contact.

So, give no fucks
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 11:51:49 »

I think this was mentioned in the thread, but I - usually a massive hater of refs, thought this guy was all right.

The point where he gave a foul throw as their player moved about 10 yards up the pitch when the fourth official clearly told him where to take it from was probably the first time Ive seen that particular bugbear of mine addressed.

The fact the Northampton Manager lost his shit with it was enjoyable too.

Never knowingly overstated.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 12:05:56 »

I think this was mentioned in the thread, but I - usually a massive hater of refs, thought this guy was all right.

The point where he gave a foul throw as their player moved about 10 yards up the pitch when the fourth official clearly told him where to take it from was probably the first time Ive seen that particular bugbear of mine addressed.

The fact the Northampton Manager lost his shit with it was enjoyable too.

It's a little bit odd that a referee from Wiltshire (Sam Allison) gets to ref Swindon games. He's an ex-(semi?)pro footballer as well having turned out for Chippenham and Frome Town.

I don't know how accurate these 2 things are, but he went to watch us play Chesterfield in the JPT trophy as a fan. Sam is also Fitzroy Simpsons' cousin.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: