Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham tickets  (Read 8270 times)
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 14:10:28 »

Car journeys in the UK can take a lot longer than the equivalent in the USA (distance).  65+ million people living in a State the size of Florida, inter City driving can be pretty busy.  Imagine an entire State looking like the roads of LA & Manhattan.

Trains - much better than Amtrak for longer distances.  Commuter/local trains can be atrocious versions of the NY Subway over ground essentially.  Usually, to these smaller clubs, you would need to mix the two services.  On the plus side, every Town has them, pretty much, unlike the USA where rail travel stopped progressing in 1910, or somewhere around then.

it would  be nice to have more trains here....i have taken a train once from st louis to chicago...it was horrible...stopped every 15 miles...it took hours to get there whereas driving would take less than 2.   

I hear you about the driving...i live in the midwest where literally it is a straight line for 300 miles basically and no trees for the police to hide

when i listen to the BBC wiltshire every morning, they are always talking about road issues which always surprises me since it is like 11am - noon there, so I keep thinking, why is there so much traffic??
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 15:58:58 »

Because the road system here in the UK is nothing like the interstate. In the USA you can literally drive in a straight line for 3 hours at 60mph and have travelled 180 miles. My cousin lives in Phoenix and thinks absolutely nothing of jumping in the car and driving 30 miles to the other side of town. In the UK travelling 30 miles is almost like a day out.

Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 17:05:05 »

Because the road system here in the UK is nothing like the interstate. In the USA you can literally drive in a straight line for 3 hours at 60mph and have travelled 180 miles. My cousin lives in Phoenix and thinks absolutely nothing of jumping in the car and driving 30 miles to the other side of town. In the UK travelling 30 miles is almost like a day out.

A quick drive to Gloucester takes about half an hour. Doesn’t feel like a day out to me? A trip to Scotland on the other hand…

Now, ain't that just like me?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 17:34:34 »

it would  be nice to have more trains here....i have taken a train once from st louis to chicago...it was horrible...stopped every 15 miles...it took hours to get there whereas driving would take less than 2.   

I hear you about the driving...i live in the midwest where literally it is a straight line for 300 miles basically and no trees for the police to hide

when i listen to the BBC wiltshire every morning, they are always talking about road issues which always surprises me since it is like 11am - noon there, so I keep thinking, why is there so much traffic??

The road network is based on the medieval field feudal system, the motorway network not so. As has been said nearly 70 million people squeezed into a smallish US state (take your pick) add in the feudal road network and subtract the areas of little occupancy (yes we have them) and you condense the remaining road network and occupancy into an even smaller network. When one thinks about it it is or can be considered a miracle anything move anywhere at anytime.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 20:10:21 »

"If booked way in advance it can be a fair bit cheaper (up to 50%) but then you run the risk of not getting a ticket if its limited."

so you may not get a ticket if you buy it early?? that seems backwards...I am surprised by the cost.  I thought the train system would be cheaper, seems like a lot if i am understanding it would cost upwards of a $250 american.

so i looked it up and it is 174 miles from swindon to oldham uk.  so first why the hell does it take 4.5 hr to get there...you all have your grandmas drive you?  at 60mph that is only 3 hrs.  and even at $9 a gallon, it is probably still cheaper to drive isnt it if we assume you get 30 miles per gallon? most everyone in the Uk have smaller cars correct?   

I was originally referring to Barrow mate.
Oldham in comparison is a doddle.
Couple of hours in a car for me, by train no real problem but it’s a tram ride out from central Manchester.
Good fans are Oldham and the women when I was a single lad were always up for it on holidays Smiley
Rochdale lasses even worse Smiley
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 20:12:47 »

Love Chicago my favourite US City.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, October 23, 2021, 11:02:13 »

Something I’m working on for a musical at my school but I feel it is just for me to watch soccer
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #37 on: Saturday, October 23, 2021, 11:04:21 »

Something I’m working on for a musical at my school but I feel it is just for me to watch soccer football

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, October 23, 2021, 11:16:35 »

The only negative is they tend to frown on alcohol in the schools so there goes my Fundraiser ideas  Beers
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, October 23, 2021, 12:16:55 »

Hope so mate and driving to this one.

Took a massive punt last night and booked the trains to Barrow in December.

We'll see you at both of these.  No flag yet, mind.  I'm slacking.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 10:37:28 »

Out of pure curiousity I had a look at the Oldham ticket details and was pleasantly surprised to see adult tickets priced at £18. That's one of the cheaper priced tickets in the league I would have thought?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 11:30:18 »

We'll see you at both of these.  No flag yet, mind.  I'm slacking.

I can see your grand flag opening ceremony at Barrow Smiley
See you at sunny Oldham.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, October 28, 2021, 11:28:06 »

Pissing down in north west atm and predicted pretty much the same for next 2 days.

Game in jeopardy?
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, October 28, 2021, 12:49:10 »

Pissing down in north west atm and predicted pretty much the same for next 2 days.

Game in jeopardy?

Hopefully not, just picked up 4 tickets 😅
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, October 28, 2021, 14:18:44 »

I'm in Salford and, at the moment, it's grey and not raining.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: