Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham tickets  (Read 8267 times)
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:03:09 »

"If booked way in advance it can be a fair bit cheaper (up to 50%) but then you run the risk of not getting a ticket if its limited."

so you may not get a ticket if you buy it early?? that seems backwards...I am surprised by the cost.  I thought the train system would be cheaper, seems like a lot if i am understanding it would cost upwards of a $250 american.

so i looked it up and it is 174 miles from swindon to oldham uk.  so first why the hell does it take 4.5 hr to get there...you all have your grandmas drive you?  at 60mph that is only 3 hrs.  and even at $9 a gallon, it is probably still cheaper to drive isnt it if we assume you get 30 miles per gallon? most everyone in the Uk have smaller cars correct?  
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:12:26 »

since oldham seems close to Manchester...totally off the subject question....

did anyone on here have the opportunity to go to the hacienda in the early 80's when bands like New Order and Blue Mondays were starting up there?   Not sure of ages of everyone in the group  Grin

New Order is a dream band for me.  had tickets to a show last year in chicago then fucking covid screwed it and all the make up dates are not ones i can make unless I fly to LA.   They dont tour the US very often so if i want to see them i may have to just spend the money or spend money going to the UK to see them.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:17:13 »

did anyone on here have the opportunity to go to the hacienda in the early 80's when bands like New Order and Blue Mondays were starting up there?   Not sure of ages of everyone in the group  Grin

New Order is a dream band for me.  had tickets to a show last year in chicago then fucking covid screwed it and all the make up dates are not ones i can make unless I fly to LA.   They dont tour the US very often so if i want to see them i may have to just spend the money or spend money going to the UK to see them.

I was a student in Manchester at the time, and went to New Order's gig opening the venue in 1983.  Too Cool

I was due to see Peter Hook and The Light in Paris again last spring, but it's been indefinitely postponed.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:17:24 »

unfortunately not

But I've seen them a couple of times since reformation, once with Hooky, once without. And also Peter Hook and the light.

Maybe I'm stuck in my ways, bit I prefer the earlier Joy Division/New Order sounds than their latest stuff. I think for me anything post Republic was hit and miss
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:19:15 »

unfortunately not

But I've seen them a couple of times since regormation, once with Hooky, once without. And also Peter Hook and the light.

Maybe I'm stuck in my ways, bit I prefer the earlier Joy Division/New Order sounds than their latest stuff. I think for me anything post Republic was hit and miss

This. Which seems to be the furrow that Pete is ploughing, hence my preference for him rather than Bernie and his electro kids.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:22:02 »

I was a student in Manchester at the time, and went to New Order's gig opening the venue in 1983.  Too Cool

I was due to see Peter Hook and The Light in Paris again last spring, but it's been indefinitely postponed.

have you seen Peter hook's version of new order? just curious if it is as good as seeing the other group.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:23:46 »

unfortunately not

But I've seen them a couple of times since reformation, once with Hooky, once without. And also Peter Hook and the light.

I completely agree...their "newer" stuff is too soulless.....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:26:20 »

Quote from: Red Frog
This. Which seems to be the furrow that Pete is ploughing, hence my preference for him rather than Bernie and his electro kids.

Couldn't agree more. The ticket was a bargain too, they played 2 entire JD albums and it was about £15!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:28:38 »

have you seen Peter hook's version of new order? just curious if it is as good as seeing the other group.
That IS Peter Hook and the light. Much more raw/older sounding than NO and their 24 keyboardists it whatever it was the other tour.

A proper gig rather than a show.

But  NO are still worth watching
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:32:51 »

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:37:19 »

"If booked way in advance it can be a fair bit cheaper (up to 50%) but then you run the risk of not getting a ticket if its limited."

so you may not get a ticket if you buy it early?? that seems backwards...I am surprised by the cost.  I thought the train system would be cheaper, seems like a lot if i am understanding it would cost upwards of a $250 american.

so i looked it up and it is 174 miles from swindon to oldham uk.  so first why the hell does it take 4.5 hr to get there...you all have your grandmas drive you?  at 60mph that is only 3 hrs.  and even at $9 a gallon, it is probably still cheaper to drive isnt it if we assume you get 30 miles per gallon? most everyone in the Uk have smaller cars correct?   
When I say not get a ticket I meant for the actual game not the train.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:47:59 »

Car journeys in the UK can take a lot longer than the equivalent in the USA (distance).  65+ million people living in a State the size of Florida, inter City driving can be pretty busy.  Imagine an entire State looking like the roads of LA & Manhattan.

Trains - much better than Amtrak for longer distances.  Commuter/local trains can be atrocious versions of the NY Subway over ground essentially.  Usually, to these smaller clubs, you would need to mix the two services.  On the plus side, every Town has them, pretty much, unlike the USA where rail travel stopped progressing in 1910, or somewhere around then.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #27 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:53:22 »

Car journeys in the UK can take a lot longer than the equivalent in the USA (distance).
Absolutely, It has at times taken me 8 hours to drive to Manchester for what is in essence a 4 hour drive due to our motorways being overloaded.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 13:36:03 »

That IS Peter Hook and the light. Much more raw/older sounding than NO and their 24 keyboardists it whatever it was the other tour.

A proper gig rather than a show.

But  NO are still worth watching

I will have to look and see if Peter Hook comes to America.  I do like the dance sound from the early NO sound.  But also like the joy division sound.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #29 on: Friday, October 22, 2021, 13:54:55 »

No but if you've not seen it, look up a British film called 24 Hour Party People.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: