Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Bradford pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 33170 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Saturday, October 23, 2021, 20:09:08 »

9400 I think it was.

Nice, thanks.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Saturday, October 23, 2021, 21:04:00 »

Suppin in Bridport this evening. Good evening to all.

Nothing to see here
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Saturday, October 23, 2021, 22:01:07 »

Today was a poor performance.
I thought the selection and initial system was wrong - we should have retained the  approach of 3CBs and kept Iandolo  at LWB - the players have looked more comfortable like that than in a back 4 (which also didn’t work v Port Vale). Give. Bradford’s defensive approach KKH would have given us more attacking threat on the right than Hunt.
The goals conceded were poor - long throw not dealt with and their player got in ahead of Baudry for the first,  Hunt and Woolacott should between them have stopped the second and Odimayo should have headed into touch before the 3rd.
With 73% possession for us their keeper made only 3 saves if my memory is accurate- one in the first half from a free kick by Reed, in the second a shot parried, and the McKirdy header late on.  Too many poor performances today. 
Also the referee was shocking too, but I seem to say that most weeks.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 00:37:35 »

Our support was poor. Flat atmosphere. Little encouragement. Booing at half time. Barely any singing. Waiting for something to happen, rather than actively willing it to.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 07:36:52 »

Our support was poor. Flat atmosphere. Little encouragement. Booing at half time. Barely any singing. Waiting for something to happen, rather than actively willing it to.

It's crazy how quickly expectations have changed. 2 weeks before the start of the season, if you said to me we'd be where we are I'd have laughed at you. I guess now people have seen how good we can be and the quality of the squad that's been put together, people have forgotten where we were at. Saying that, most people can only get to / afford home games and we are serving up some absolute dross at home. 
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 07:48:19 »

The atmosphere and general mood would be a lot better if home and away form was reversed

Things get better but they never get good
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 08:09:16 »

It's crazy how quickly expectations have changed. 2 weeks before the start of the season, if you said to me we'd be where we are I'd have laughed at you. I guess now people have seen how good we can be and the quality of the squad that's been put together, people have forgotten where we were at. Saying that, most people can only get to / afford home games and we are serving up some absolute dross at home. 
I think it’s fair enough that people have revised their expectations of what we can achieve now we are almost three months into the season and a fair amount of football has been played.

For all the drivel served up at home, we’ve looked superb away and quite rightly in my view, pre season expectations of ‘let’s just stay up’ have been re-visited.

Our mess of a summer doesn’t excuse starting a centre half at right back yesterday and flooding the centre of midfield leaving us with no width. Not that you are suggesting this, Joe, but I’ve read many opinions elsewhere along these lines.

Rob called the match/tactics spot on in his observations earlier in the thread. A bad day at the office but I’ve seen enough to suggest that some astute business in January will see us have an interesting season.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 08:17:44 »

Quote from: Bogus Dave
The atmosphere and general mood would be a lot better if home and away form was reversed

true that.

if all you've seen are home games you're bound to be on a bit of a  downer
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 08:18:42 »

I think it’s fair enough that people have revised their expectations of what we can achieve now we are almost three months into the season and a fair amount of football has been played.

For all the drivel served up at home, we’ve looked superb away and quite rightly in my view, pre season expectations of ‘let’s just stay up’ have been re-visited.

Our mess of a summer doesn’t excuse starting a centre half at right back yesterday and flooding the centre of midfield leaving us with no width. Not that you are suggesting this, Joe, but I’ve read many opinions elsewhere along these lines.

Rob called the match/tactics spot on in his observations earlier in the thread. A bad day at the office but I’ve seen enough to suggest that some astute business in January will see us have an interesting season.

Agreed all round. I think re-visiting expectations isn't harmful as our recruitment was so strong. If we can bring in a striker in January I think we have every chance.

Comment on bold spot on. We just have to hope that Garner learns.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 08:22:17 by JoeMezz » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 08:24:59 »

Maybe the old adage of don't change a winning team should also apply to a winning formation.
Seems easier to change from a 5 to a 4 than the other way, so we ended up with Payne at LWB and Hunt as a CB in the second half.
Too late by then.
In a tight league it's first goal wins more often than not.

Is it up the players to take some responsibility when they are faced with a game plan that was not expected or should the direction be coming from the sidelines.
A bit of both probably.
The timid approach of Odimayo with acres of space in front of him, a case in point & very frustrating, although to be fair he was more positive after the injury drinks break in the first half, so someone must have had a word.

Only real moment of quality was in added time with the linkup between Simpson and Payne and cross to McKirdy.
That being the only decent cross all game.

Some strike by Robinson though and worthy of a grudging ripple of appreciation in the DRS.

Don't like to celebrate a Town goal half heartedly and remaining seated knowing that the game is up.

Hopefully the slow cooked tikka masala that's about to go in the pot will be more enjoyable than the performance yesterday.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 08:27:12 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #430 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 09:03:06 »

I missed the attendance figure? How many?

9400 I think it was.

9400 I think it was.

yeah, just over 9000 town. 400 odd bradford

Att: 9,461 (425 Brads)

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pantomime dame

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 09:15:43 »

Yes this is a chicken  and egg argument. One that always irritates me. We have a team that can turn it on in front of 2000 fans with no expectations, however, put them in front of 9000 fans willing them to do good and they are developing severe stage fright.
Your argument would hold water if it was two or three home games into the season but the football is getting slowly worse.
I'm not a great fan of tippy tappy and it doesn't get the blood racing through your veins when done successfully, let alone what we are served.
If you'd like to see the County Ground rocking, go to youtube and type, Swindon v West Ham United 1968. You can feel the atmos and you've only to go back to Di Canio He created more atmosphere just leaving the pitch at the end of the game than the current squad can in 90 minutes.

Woke is the revenge of the mediocre
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 09:49:23 »

Something that irritated me yesterday was a section of the town end who started chanting loyal supporters as quite a few of us left with 10 mins to go. The same loyal supporters who made little effort to lift the team for 90 minutes?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 09:57:26 »

......The timid approach of Odimayo with acres of space in front of him, a case in point & very frustrating, although to be fair he was more positive after the injury drinks break in the first half, so someone must have had a word.....
What was so frustrating was that, before this season, Odimayo had games where, given space, he used his pace and stature to go past opponents, taking them out of the game and thereby threatening danger.

Without suggesting the team all go McKirdy, I felt there were real opportunities for the Odimayo "surge" yesterday, especially as you suggest in the first half.

You can set up for the possibility of losing the ball.

Yestrday's keepball was especially impotent and brutally shown up when Bradford opened the scoring without having put together more than two passes at any stage in the previous 15 mins.  No wonder heads dropped.  
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 10:32:06 »

Yesterday was on Garner.

Team not set up correct from the off.

We are crying out for Grant for a bit of physicality in these home games where the opposition bully and sit very deep.

It was obvious from the first 10 mins Bradford changed formation - why did it take him 40 minutes to even try to change anything.By then we were 2-0 down.

Yes happy with where we are overall but these awful home results do matter. Every side who comes here is going to set up the same way and many will walk away with points.

Garner seems indifferent to adapting to counter this- if we cannot break teams down at home gates will drop I’m afraid.

No one expects to win every home game- but 7 in we have won once and this is terrible no matter how you dress it up
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: