Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Bradford pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 33166 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 10:36:41 »

You can set up for the possibility of losing the ball.

And I would say this is the main criticism I have of our play. There's not enough risk taking in the final third / middle to final third progression. Sometimes it's all a bit too safe and with that comes slowness and teams being able to set up against it with 11 men behind the ball. Bit more risk taking and moving the ball quicker and we'll be fine.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 10:54:56 »

Yesterday was on Garner.

Team not set up correct from the off.

We are crying out for Grant for a bit of physicality in these home games where the opposition bully and sit very deep.

It was obvious from the first 10 mins Bradford changed formation - why did it take him 40 minutes to even try to change anything.By then we were 2-0 down.

Yes happy with where we are overall but these awful home results do matter. Every side who comes here is going to set up the same way and many will walk away with points.

Garner seems indifferent to adapting to counter this- if we cannot break teams down at home gates will drop I’m afraid.

No one expects to win every home game- but 7 in we have won once and this is terrible no matter how you dress it up

I am not as clued upon the minutiae of the players, their positions, strengths, weaknesses and tactics as some on this thread so to no matter how anyone dissects yesterday’s game and all the other home games for that matter, to me I see so far that we have played seven at home and SIX teams have come away with either a SHARE or ALL the points. Clearly so far our away form is up there with any team in the four divisions and is automatic promotional form, our home form is relegation form. What to do? Well that is down obviously to BG & BC to sort out and as happens a myriad of opinions are expressed as to what we could, should and ought to do.

BG, I’m sorry matey you cannot polish a turd regarding what we have have achieved at home so far and it is up to you, yes you to sort it out. Personnel wise we cannot do anything till January but as has been mentioned more than once money is the issue and outside a stonking cup run we have to rely on home income, so with all the best will in the world you’d better sort out out home form ASAP or money through the turnstiles is going to drop which will hinder any spend the club can hope to do in January.

Of course there is a school of thought that suggests in spite of the open communications the advisory board have with us that getting to January still in touch with the leader board is the aim and we will invest in the playing staff. I hope so because anyone can see we are player wise a few short of spanking every team in this division, so doable.

Furthermore on the money front. There has to be money coming in somewhere because of the applaudable push by the club to get the ground sale done before Christmas. Now we know the trust intend to put up 50% so is Clem fronting the other 50% or are we going to borrow that via a commercial mortgage? Which then leads onto if Clem fronts the other 50% are we likely to borrow some money against that with to refurb or invest in the squad either in January or wait till May whatever league we find ourselves in?

Sorry it’s a long one but I’m on a roll after a bike ride this morning which hasn’t killed me and made me feel really good about my situation. Have a great day everyone, we live to do battle away at Oldham, who are hopefully thinking, shit, Swindon at home next week…
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 11:30:19 »

Garner seems to think our ‘style’ will win out no matter the opposition’s tactics. He has perfected the style but has very little tactical awareness of how to set up or change tactics dependent on the opposition.

He countenances risk taking by defenders near our box in a bid to retain possession but has obviously told those higher up the pitch to take no risks which results in the anal retention without penetration.

It’s bizarre.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 11:52:30 »

To much Crab football yesterday and as the wife says, not enough penetration!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 12:55:56 »

My main concern is he’s saying he won’t change no matter what. We must be the only team in the country that doesn’t play a defensive midfielder so either Garner is a footballing genius or slightly naive.

I don’t see putting in a defensive midfielder with Grant the obvious choice as being a negative move, it would give that extra solidity that might allow our creative players to take a few more risks. At the moment the players must know that if they lose the ball there’s a danger of the opposition immediately being right on our back line as they have no protection. A few times yesterday Reed lost the ball going forwards and there was a massive chasm where our midfield should be allowing Bradford to get into dangerous positions. My concern at the start and remains somewhat that his way of playing has been developed in youth football where teams play similar styles and doesn’t allow for the variety of styles and physical nature at this level.  Winter on churned up pitches will the true acid test.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 13:09:04 »

We have no tactics. We have a style. That will not change - come what may.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 17:50:31 »

My main concern is he’s saying he won’t change no matter what. We must be the only team in the country that doesn’t play a defensive midfielder so either Garner is a footballing genius or slightly naive.

I don’t see putting in a defensive midfielder with Grant the obvious choice as being a negative move, it would give that extra solidity that might allow our creative players to take a few more risks. At the moment the players must know that if they lose the ball there’s a danger of the opposition immediately being right on our back line as they have no protection. A few times yesterday Reed lost the ball going forwards and there was a massive chasm where our midfield should be allowing Bradford to get into dangerous positions. My concern at the start and remains somewhat that his way of playing has been developed in youth football where teams play similar styles and doesn’t allow for the variety of styles and physical nature at this level.  Winter on churned up pitches will the true acid test.
We really battled through the second half at Sutton and ended up looking the more dangerous.  However a good few were calling for Grant at half time which, in the happy event, never got a further mention on the night.

The General was not quite as effective last season as the previous one and I have little idea how he might be now with his advancing years and world cup travel.  Garner will do, tbf.  Nevertheless, there is undoubtedly a defensive midfield vacant role available, imo, in which I would like to see him tried out again soon.  Home and away.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 18:45:32 »

We have no tactics. We have a style. That will not change - come what may.

What's the difference between tactics and a style?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Sunday, October 24, 2021, 19:00:56 »

Yesterday’s game.

And most of the other home games.

Tactics change - or should do. Our style does not.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Monday, October 25, 2021, 10:17:04 »

Putting KKH on, moving Payne to LWB and pushing wing backs further forward was a tactical change, so there are tactics?

The one thing I'm sure we can all agree on is that it should have changed much sooner (ie 20 minutes in). Within 10 minutes the way the game was going was quite obvious - I guess it wouldn't have been an issue if we went 1-0 up but as soon as we went 1-0 down it played right into their hands to put 11 men behind the ball and hit us on the counter.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Monday, October 25, 2021, 12:50:46 »

Putting KKH on, moving Payne to LWB and pushing wing backs further forward was a tactical change, so there are tactics?

The one thing I'm sure we can all agree on is that it should have changed much sooner (ie 20 minutes in). Within 10 minutes the way the game was going was quite obvious - I guess it wouldn't have been an issue if we went 1-0 up but as soon as we went 1-0 down it played right into their hands to put 11 men behind the ball and hit us on the counter.

I think it is clear to most that KKH should have started that game and I agree he should have changed it early when it obviously wasn't working.  Sticking in Grant alongside Reed to give a layer of protection for the back four and to mix it up a bit with the dark arts would have been my change, but I think we all know that Grant doesn't seem to be Garners cup of tea.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Monday, October 25, 2021, 12:55:46 »

He’d much prefer another midget midfielder.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Monday, October 25, 2021, 12:58:13 »

It doesn't have to be Grant, East has looked thoroughly competent when he's deputised for Reed. Would like to see them play together.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Monday, October 25, 2021, 13:08:39 »

It doesn't have to be Grant, East has looked thoroughly competent when he's deputised for Reed. Would like to see them play together.

Agreed, I just think that Saturday we needed that nasty niggly midfielder - East might be capable of that, we just haven't been given the opportunity to see it yet.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Monday, October 25, 2021, 13:23:28 »

Yeah I'd prefer it to be Grant, but mainly based on the fact I haven't seen much of East. I thought he did well when he came on against Sutton though.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: