Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 9105 times)
Crackity Jones

« Reply #75 on: Sunday, November 7, 2021, 18:51:31 »

I would love to go electric but i want decent performance (hot hatch comparable) and range and for it not to be an SUfuckingV. I have looked at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 but at £40k it is almost twice the price of the infinitely more fun 3 cylinder Fiesta ST
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 00:04:08 »

I would love to go electric but i want decent performance (hot hatch comparable) and range and for it not to be an SUfuckingV. I have looked at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 but at £40k it is almost twice the price of the infinitely more fun 3 cylinder Fiesta ST

That’s the other thing, some of the prices of new EV’s are plain bonkers. Your average Vauxhall Corsa is around £15K but the EV version is a whopping £30K! £30k for a Corsa! I spend £50 max a month on diesel, I’d have to keep it 25 years to save £15K on diesel.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 00:51:50 »

I'd rather get a newer pushbike.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 10:16:08 »

My sister and brother in law got an VW ID.3 and are very happy with it. He has always had quick cars so for him to be impressed is a positive sign.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 11:02:01 »

That’s the other thing, some of the prices of new EV’s are plain bonkers. Your average Vauxhall Corsa is around £15K but the EV version is a whopping £30K! £30k for a Corsa! I spend £50 max a month on diesel, I’d have to keep it 25 years to save £15K on diesel.

I would suggest of more relevance is what are the corresponding lease or PCP costs as that seems to account for the vast majority of new 'purchases' these days.

I've noted before, when we picked up our most recent 2nd hand Skoda from the dealer they were just lining up for the in dealership launch of their latest electric model, we were given an exclusive look (I don't think we were as excited as he hoped) and the guy commented that he was absolutely amazed how many pre-orders they had received at £40k a pop.

ICE is on its way out and EV is coming in whether we middle aged blokes like it or not.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #80 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 13:21:31 »

Lease would be a non-starter for me. I have done one PCP in my lifetime and ended up paying the final balloon payment so my default is some form of eventual ownership. There is no justification to spend £30-40k on an electric car. I need the prices to come down closer to ICE before I could consider.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 13:26:53 »

it's going to take a while for pure EV to dominate for the very reason of cost and infrastructure.

I guess when hybrid is the minimum you can buy new, it'll eventually filter down and costs will fall
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 13:32:56 »

Diesel it is then for the foreseeable future!

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 14:33:53 »

In September, EV and Hybrid accounted for 1 in 5 of new cars registered in the UK.  Diesel was 1 in 20.  Sales have started to hit the same number in a month that were sold in the entirety of 2019.  It's a matter of time now.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 14:36:18 »

The second hand market is the problem as the majority of car owners can't afford brand new and don't want to lease a car.

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 14:39:51 »

The second hand market is the problem as the majority of car owners can't afford brand new and don't want to lease a car.

Must be different down south then.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 14:46:23 »

If I wanted to buy a decent second hand car maybe paying up to £10000 cash my only option would be for a petrol or diesel car as the equivalent in electric dosen't exist and that's down South or up North! Not everyone has a spare £30000+ or wants to lease a vehicle for 3-5 years.

So, give no fucks
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #87 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 14:48:47 »

There's a ton of 2nd hand EVs on autotrader for less than £10k
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 14:49:04 »

I suspect that sales data will show that the majority of car buyers are more than happy to buy on a PCP or lease a vehicle.  Soon, the notion of buying outright will be an alien concept.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 14:49:43 »

Fair point I haven't looked on there only the big dealerships.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: