Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 9288 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 09:48:21 »

Says it all about these extinction rebellion and insulate Britain muppets that a lot of them are the same great unwashed that protest against nuclear. Clearly don’t have a clue about anything and just contradict themselves protesting against a zero emissions solution whilst protesting at other times to reduce CO2 emissions.
Absolutely.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 09:54:08 »

Yeah on BBC news this morning, the government put tax up on electric, trying to make us use electric cars, everything is electric these days so you HAVE to use more so the government gets loads of extra income from the tax on it. Win win for the government.

Got to have something to offset the tax revenue reductions they are going be hit by via fuel duty.

FWIW its about time the airlines started paying their way.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:03:09 »

Creating even more of a hole the ozone system through the burning process? no i dont think that would work. Totally counter productive for any possible gains.

You missed my bit about pumping carbon into the bedrock
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:07:09 »

You missed my bit about pumping carbon into the bedrock
I didn't, carbon is not the only byproduct produced by burning the plastics, there are many more that are justa s damaging to the atmosphere that cannot be reused.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 11:57:59 »

Just look at how quickly Diesel became popular, and that was a fuel source that was very negatively perceived.  There are plenty of debates to be had on the credentials of electric but I don't think they are going to stop the revolution.  How many debates do people have about the environmental impact of mobile phone production, waste and lithium battery production and disposal?

Electric cars are destined to take off now.  The vast majority of car journeys are short.  Thus, you only really need two things to be in place from here.  Vastly improved at home and car park charging options and the seen cost to fuel the car.

Charging options will be critical and if the car parks used at work, while shopping etc. can be developed, then most people will never have to visit the equivalent of a petrol station.  In time technology will advance on the power source for those charging stations, including wireless like phones moved to.  Imagine a parent using the car for dropping the kids and running around town, their direct spend on fuel will vanish (in their mind even if not when added up across all the ways they really pay for that).  Quick charging infrastructure will develop as well and support long distance.

I just see this as the moment where the industry is taking the plunge and it look ripe to me on the consumer side as well.  Enough people want it, enough cars will start coming and then it will snowball.  It's unstoppable.  Just like the good old GWR had to give up its gauge.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:54:31 by RobertT » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:31:47 »

Have a friend in the States who won't drive anything but electric now.
Range anxiety is still an issue but they've got around that by planning longer journeys, leisure in particular, around stopovers for charging.
Maybe more of an issue here with people heading from the South up to The Lakes & being reluctant to lose a day sampling the delights of the Black Country for example.
Just a case of adapting with a new mindset & planning trips differently.
Electric cars in themselves shouldn't be a barrier to mobility.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:41:59 »

Got an Audi e-tron sportback. Had it a year now and I’d happily trade up for another EV next time.

As a business owner I was able to write-off the whole value of the car in the first year which offset my entire tax bill and I only pay 1% BIK this year. There’s also no BIK tax on fuel either.

* 98C37AC7-CB82-4DC8-BAA7-59EDC9664AE8.jpeg (145.08 KB, 640x480 - viewed 55 times.)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:45:26 by @MacPhlea » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:57:27 »

Have a friend in the States who won't drive anything but electric now.
Range anxiety is still an issue but they've got around that by planning longer journeys, leisure in particular, around stopovers for charging.
Maybe more of an issue here with people heading from the South up to The Lakes & being reluctant to lose a day sampling the delights of the Black Country for example.
Just a case of adapting with a new mindset & planning trips differently.
Electric cars in themselves shouldn't be a barrier to mobility.

With the right investment, that journey to the Lakes (which is once or twice a year for most people, if at all) can easily be handled with a 30-45 minute stop off for recharging mid way.  It won't be that type of situation that will prevent or kick start the switch though.  Car parks are the key - I know someone at work who hasn't even had to use an alternative charging location than work - it just recharges everyday while at work.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, November 7, 2021, 13:09:02 »

Most car purchases in this country are second hand as opposed to brand new. I’m not sure what the lifespan of say a 5 year old EV batteries would be. From a personal point of view I tend to buy ex fleet cars which are usually 3-5 years old, keep for a couple of years then replace again. The one good thing with gaining popularity in EV’s is that you can get some cracking bargains on ex fleet diesel/petrol models.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, November 7, 2021, 13:13:42 »

the battery degradation conversation came up with a guy who has one at work .

this suprised me

"Real-world data showed that Tesla battery degradation was less than 10% after over 160,000 miles (257,500 km):"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2020/06/06/tesla-battery-degradation-replacement/amp/
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, November 7, 2021, 13:15:01 »

Most car purchases in this country are second hand as opposed to brand new. I’m not sure what the lifespan of say a 5 year old EV batteries would be. From a personal point of view I tend to buy ex fleet cars which are usually 3-5 years old, keep for a couple of years then replace again. The one good thing with gaining popularity in EV’s is that you can get some cracking bargains on ex fleet diesel/petrol models.

Where do you buy ex fleet cars

So, give no fucks
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, November 7, 2021, 13:25:05 »

Where do you buy ex fleet cars

Any car garage selling 3-5 year old cars will be ex fleet as they tend to buy from auctions, which you can do yourself and save a small fortune.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, November 7, 2021, 13:27:47 »

Cheers Clap

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, November 7, 2021, 13:42:17 »

My current car was a 6 months old and had previous been used as a ‘mobility car’ like helping to take people shopping and what not.

Had already depreciated in value as it wasn’t new but had 77 miles on the clock when I took it for a test drive and bought it.

Probably the closest to buying new without being new. Got a steal there I think…
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, November 7, 2021, 18:39:08 »

for me, it's about re-charge time, until that's shorter for Li-ion then I can't manage with it, maybe the chemistry needs to change?Huh?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: