Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 9103 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 14:12:30 »

Anyone got one? If so how you finding it and would you change back to diesel or petrol.

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 14:33:19 »

Anyone got one? If so how you finding it and would you change back to diesel or petrol.
Coworker went to Hull last week in his new Mustang and took him over 8 hours due to chargers not working at service stations, or queues to use a charger. They are fine for shorter journeys but the country isn’t ready for electric cars enmasse at the moment and long journeys become a bit of a lottery. My next will probably be a plug in hybrid, but really could do with Hydrogen fuel cells taking off.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 14:36:15 »

Cheers theakston, that type of thing dosen't get mentioned so nice to hear the negative stories so consumers can weigh up their options.

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 14:37:27 »

No thanks.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 14:39:18 »

The jury is still out for me but in a few years we won't have a choice.

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 14:44:23 »

It's inevitable that there will be push back from those of a certain age and/or are resistant to any change.  I will be buying an electric car in the next 3 years and I am looking forward to it. I wouldn't say no to hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicle either.

As for consumer experience, there is a wealth of material available online.

Nothing to see here
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 14:57:47 »

Friend of mine on the island has a VW ID4. Goes like stink with brilliant acceleration. Has a range of c300km which is ideal for island driving. On the mainland, however, he found it a bit of a chore waiting 30 minutes to charge up en route to Athens and again upon return. Always the chance you could be in a queue to use a charging point which would lead to long waits.

I’d imagine on a really long trip you’d have to throughly plan your route around charging points.

The car itself is no problem at all. It’s the present infrastructure supporting it which is the problem.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:11:13 »

It's inevitable that there will be push back from those of a certain age and/or are resistant to any change.  I will be buying an electric car in the next 3 years and I am looking forward to it. I wouldn't say no to hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicle either.

As for consumer experience, there is a wealth of material available online.

What intrigues me and which hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge is the government collected 21 billion pounds in fuel tax last year so where will that money be recuperated from when the pumps eventually close.

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:13:32 »

Friend of mine on the island has a VW ID4. Goes like stink with brilliant acceleration. Has a range of c300km which is ideal for island driving. On the mainland, however, he found it a bit of a chore waiting 30 minutes to charge up en route to Athens and again upon return. Always the chance you could be in a queue to use a charging point which would lead to long waits.

I’d imagine on a really long trip you’d have to throughly plan your route around charging points.

The car itself is no problem at all. It’s the present infrastructure supporting it which is the problem.

Locally you can have your own electric point fitted for around a £1000 which would help with the charging and like you say if you're driving long distances you would need to do some research

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:29:02 »

What intrigues me and which hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge is the government collected 21 billion pounds in fuel tax last year so where will that money be recuperated from when the pumps eventually close.

Pay per mile

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:30:28 »

Pay per mile

Does that happen now

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:30:57 »

Part of the deal with VW was a home charging point.

Another thing to think of is those people whose car may well be parked well away from their residence e.g. apartment or house with no off road parking.

Then you’ve got to think of how the hell will HGVs be replaced. It’s a really difficult situation for anyone who is looking to buy a new car approaching the deadline date. At what point do you sell, or try to sell, your existing petrol or diesel car. Who’ll buy a second hand one with the electric deadline looming. People could be left with a worthless lump of metal.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:33:34 »

Also think of the second hand market in a few years when the batteries will be coming to the end of their charging cycle and how much to replace.

So, give no fucks
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:38:48 »

They'll just tax the poor for something else, probably for the fresher air
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:43:33 »

I don't own a car but I am in an electric car club and rent a Renault Zoe by the hour relatively often. Does a decent job for journeys of under 50 miles, wouldn't fancy doing long distance on it as it does take a while to charge. For the occasional jaunt around town though it does the job perfectly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: