Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next League Game Starting XI  (Read 3993 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 07:40:18 »

One game,albeit a brilliant one does not necessarily make Ward a better keeper than Wollacott. Personally I
 think JoJo should start.Your number 1 is that until he proves otherwise I think

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 08:18:22 »

Absolutely Jo Jo should keep his place. Given that he is also on a one year contract (I think) alienating him by dropping him would be a dumb move when it comes to tempting him to sign a new one. He is number one until form suggests otherwise. He got an international call up - dropping him for that, no matter ho good a game Ward had would be poor management in my view.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 08:20:26 »

Gordon Banks esque Clap

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 08:48:12 »

Absolutely Jo Jo should keep his place. Given that he is also on a one year contract (I think) alienating him by dropping him would be a dumb move when it comes to tempting him to sign a new one. He is number one until form suggests otherwise. He got an international call up - dropping him for that, no matter ho good a game Ward had would be poor management in my view.
But the thing is, we don't know how good Ward is.

Both keepers have similar backgrounds and both may have benefitted from coaching with Mildy. I think that dropping Ward after that (an almost perfect game) would alienate him and show that no matter what he does, he is only ever the back up.

There is an ideal opportunity to keep both players happy at the moment. Play Ward again on Tuesday and see how he does. If he is as awesome as Saturday, you don't drop him for next Saturday.

In the mean time, you talk to Wollacott and praise him for what he has done so far this season and tell him to rest from the travel and get back to fitness in training. You let him see how brilliant Ward was on Saturday and you motivate him to battle for his place.

If Ward doesn't do so well on Tuesday and Wollacott looks sharp in training then he comes back in on Saturday. But if not, Garner has already shown with Grant that he will make the tough calls.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 09:37:41 »

That's one way of looking at it. It's different sides of the same coin though. Personally, my golden rule as a manager would be not to change a winning side and that every player had to retain/win his place in the side on merit. In this situation I would say that few people would argue with that other than at the GK spot.

I would argue that Wollacott would not be getting dropped. He went on international duty, Ward came in and had a blinder and has earned the right to keep his spot. JJ now has to earn the right displace him.  It's a tough call, JJ is probably my player of the season so far and it would be unfortunate for him but a football team in my opinion has to be run as a meritocracy and it would be just as hard, if not harder on Ward to get dropped after performing outstandingly well.

Hell of a good problem to have though after last season's goalkeeping debacle.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 09:45:58 »

JW is better with his feet so that will be a deciding factor with the way we play.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 10:23:43 »

It's a tough call regarding the keeper slot. I would argue that JoJo 'retains' his place on merit because he hasn't done anything yet to 'lose' it. He'll have to really stay on his toes now, though .....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #22 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 10:32:00 »

It's a tough call regarding the keeper slot. I would argue that JoJo 'retains' his place on merit because he hasn't done anything yet to 'lose' it. He'll have to really stay on his toes now, though .....
Same for me too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 10:44:59 »

Like I say... same coin, different sides. Nice problem to have. I certainly won't have a problem with whoever starts...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 13:44:31 »

JW is better with his feet so that will be a deciding factor with the way we play.
I was waiting for someone to say that....

I wondered whether some of our 'urgency' and lack of 'pissing about at the back' was down to the fact that Ward isn't as comfortable on the ball as Wollacott?

Having said that, I think that Ward did satisfactorily pass it around, but he also kicked long at times to mix it up a bit.

I can't fault anything about his performance on Saturday - But I thought he was decidedly average (at best) in the preseason and Cup game he played.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25 on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 13:51:07 »

TBH I thought Wards distribution wasn't quite as good as Jojo's has been, but its a close call.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: