Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Daffodil Eaters (FGR) v Swindon Town pre match, match, post match thread  (Read 46559 times)
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 13:31:25 »

My first 90min watch of the season. Was impressed that we didn't seem to miss any of the 5 internationals!

Garners got a few 'nice' headaches for the next game. Ward hardly put a foot wrong.

Conroy and Crichlow really good defending kept Matt quiet and conroy superb for our first.
Reed brilliant we're solid with him there
Gladwin has a bit of quality about him. getting up to speed now hopefully carries on
Mckirdy carries our spark
..and the rest were decent aswell.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #571 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 13:38:45 »

Att: 3,442 (1,200 Swindon fans).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #572 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 13:42:35 »

How very apt.

Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 13:45:42 »

Keep in mind,,,if you catch the game...we suck and are rebuilding...

Minnesota Vikings the local team, here.  Where do I begin.........................."Why don't Iowa have a professional football team?  Because the people in Minnesota would want one too."
Peter Venkman

« Reply #574 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 13:47:49 »

And some post match views of FGR fans....

Absolutely played off the park.

Simpson a real handful up front

They are really pressing both wingbacks and then picking us off when we go back inside.

Second best today by a mile I’m afraid

To put it simply, they want it more than we do.

Watching on tv say Swindon better overall but we had enough chances in the end of get something. Ward in goal had great game. Swindon deserved win and fgr looked slightly off. Still top.

Agree with that, even if Swindon were helped by the support of the Sky commenters! We played all the time just trying to keep out of trouble never were we on top. Pity but enjoyed the game. We cant win ‘em all.

Swindon were the better side, but we still forced some good saves from Ward and missed another couple of good chances, so in the end it came down to who took their chances.

We were second best today to a well drilled and committed Swindon team. But we had enough chances to force a draw. Bound to happen some weeks.

Lewis Ward won them the game !

Let's not pretend Swindon didn't have just as many chances they didn't put away (plus a pretty soft disallowed goal).

Swindon were much the better side and their performance fully merited their victory.
However I disagree, we actually had More clear cut chances than Swindon. Quite a few more in the end.

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 13:57:11 »

Not old enough to have seen Downsborough play for us so unable to comment but the West Ham game I remember Hammond making 1 good save but not much else TBH.
My rose tinteds perhaps (inspired by the non stop 2nd half pressure in front of a hostile crowd and a stolen win but there were at least a couple of saves inc a memorable one - in my mind at least - from Trevor Morley and another double save.

Although he occasionally got the nod ahead of Digby, Hammond was the no. 2, so that is a performance that stuck in my mind.  Even on a lesser stage, in so far as he came in as a no. 2, Ward's performance today had parallels - and the substance may very well have been even better.  
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 13:59:32 »

And some post match views of FGR fans....

Very balanced, tbf.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 14:03:29 »

Whatever the reasons, I'm glad today's game on Sky proceeded as originally planned Pint
Peter Venkman

« Reply #578 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 14:12:17 »

Whatever the reasons, I'm glad today's game on Sky proceeded as originally planned Pint
Absolutely! I admit I was wrong about my fears pre game.

£10k for an away team and £30k for a home team is an absolute pitance really.

There is no way on earth we should be made to play if we have 5 regular 1st teamers missing, even 2 is too many for our squad to cope with when 1 is your first choice keeper.

I am all for calling it off.

river monster

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 14:30:46 »

Heard the comms say Swindon have remained unbeaten in the first 6 away games of a season for the first time ever. Nice.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 14:36:08 »

Takes a big person to admit they were wrong. That said I doubt you were alone and I doubt there were many bets won on a 0-2 away win.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 14:40:34 »

That was a good performance and win today.
I thought we deserved to win on balance - we seemed to have more control - but Ward made several top class saves. The one from the downward header at 1-0 being the best.
Good performances through the side, Reed is very consistent and vital to our style, and McGirdy provided the spark up front. I thought the decision against Simpson on the first half disallowed goal was harsh, so I’m glad he got a goal (he has scored 4 goals all from inside the 6 yard box now which is a good sign) and likewise the penalty was harsh so justice done when Ward saves.
We concede some chances through giv8ng the ball away in bad areas (again) but thankfully Ward and their finishing meant they didn’t cost us. 6 points from 2 away games is better than most of us would have thought we’d get, especially with 5 missing this week.
Some tricky decisions for Garner now as the international players return.
Hopefully those who have been critical of Garner and the style can now see what he is trying to do and is getting it right.
My worry is that tHese results are starting to increase everyone’s expectations now - the pre season “I’d be happy to stay up” has become “play off contenders at least”.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 14:40:49 »

I was with you.

It was so pleasing to see the wider squad step up or play well as a team.

We nearly conceded from fannying about at the back today but I reckon some credit must go to Garner et al for the cohesiveness shown today.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #583 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 14:59:06 »

Heard the comms say Swindon have remained unbeaten in the first 6 away games of a season for the first time ever. Nice.
In 2003-4 season we started with 7 away games unbeaten in every competition, 3 wins and 4 draws. 5 league games and 2 LC games.

Southend U 3 - 2 LC
Colchester U 1 - 0
Bournemouth 2 - 2
Brighton 2 - 2
Grimsby 2 - 1
Barnsley 1 - 1
Leeds 2-2 LC (lost on pens)

So far we have gone
Scunthorpe 3-1
Cambridge 0-0 LC (lost on pens)
Salford 1-0
Stevenage 1-1
Northampton 1-1
Rovers 3-1
FGR 2-0

Badger

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 15:04:29 »

And by way of celebration, here's an old favourite..............

* FGR.JPG (51.54 KB, 466x455 - viewed 233 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: