Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Daffodil Eaters (FGR) v Swindon Town pre match, match, post match thread  (Read 46582 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 08:58:15 »

I didn't see the Scunny or Carlisle games so can't comment on those. My memory isn't as good as it was but for the games I did watch I don't think he took as much care of the ball as say Reed or Payne. He got his pocket picked a fair amount and his passing was wayward. Obviously that's just my own personal opinion JJ. Obviously there hasn't really been enough games under Garner to really justify my opinion but I personally don't see Grant featuring much, especially when Lyden is fit.
Lot of comments about Grant on the Scunny forum after the game with their fans saying his experience was the difference between the teams, vs Tranny he ruled midfield.

I know he has a reputation that may preceed him off the pitch of being difficult but I do really think he can feel hard done by, if hes good enough for the Jamaica natianal team but not good enough for a L2 team.

All it seems off the back of 1 poor performance and 1 call up, something doesnt add up.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 08:58:23 »

(grant....)  I don't think he took as much care of the ball as say Reed or Payne. He got his pocket picked a fair amount and his passing was wayward.

I think they are fair observations. But I still disagree with you!

It misses the excellent protection job he was still doing too. Thought he looked a shed load better than last season -  to me anyway..

However, would he displace Reed - absolutely not. I'd have him on the bench though because our midfield can be too lightweight in certain games.

I suspect that he didn't inform the club properly of the call up/isolation period and that lead to the current issue. But that's speculation
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 08:59:37 »

The more i think about Grant the more it makes sense. Who would you drop for him at the moment
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:02:29 »

The more i think about Grant the more it makes sense. Who would you drop for him at the moment
Gladwin against better teams. We aren't going to get away with playing one centre midfielder in games against better teams especially as the weather deteriorates.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:05:54 »

I think they are fair observations. But I still disagree with you!

It misses the excellent protection job he was still doing too. Thought he looked a shed load better than last season -  to me anyway..

However, would he displace Reed - absolutely not. I'd have him on the bench though because our midfield can be too lightweight in certain games.

I suspect that he didn't inform the club properly of the call up/isolation period and that lead to the current issue. But that's speculation
100% this.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:06:16 »

Gladwin. Or at minimum put him on the bench.

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:13:06 »

There seems to be a couple of threads within this match day thread. Grant and why are we playing this fixture with the international call ups. Grant I suspect is an internal issues. Regarding the game I can only assume that the club saw £10k? And thought yeah we’ll have that. I also think they would have known certain international call ups would be an issue but still feel a result is achievable either way. If you feel strongly on these matters we have the truth and reconciliation committee to contact if you wish.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:14:29 »

I do wonder whether Grant's historical ability to fall out with the vast majority of his managers has reared its head here.

Its a tricky one, over the moon for him about the call up's (which is also a great advert for what the club are doing), but if he is all over the place it gets to the stage that its difficult to keep pissing with a reasonable settled team just to accommodate this, especially as with him getting older I imagine keeping missing training while flying here there and every where ain't gonna help.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:17:55 »

Its a tricky one, over the moon for him about the call up's (which is also a great advert for what the club are doing), but if he is all over the place it gets to the stage that its difficult to keep pissing with a reasonable settled team just to accommodate this, especially as with him getting older I imagine keeping missing training while flying here there and every where ain't gonna help.
If that's the case can we expect JJW to be excluded going forwards as he's going to be subject to quarantine and what not and equally as disruptive.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:20:41 »

Regarding the game I can only assume that the club saw £10k? And thought yeah we’ll have that. I also think they would have known certain international call ups would be an issue but still feel a result is achievable either way.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the club tried to call the game off. I'm not sure of the specific details as to why it was turned down.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:27:56 »

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the club tried to call the game off. I'm not sure of the specific details as to why it was turned down.

Its been mentioned numerous times, but is all a lie I tells thee, they are lying to us all!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:38:35 »

I wasn’t aware of that. End of.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:47:12 »

Its been mentioned numerous times, but is all a lie I tells thee, they are lying to us all!

We requested to get the game called off, it was denied. End of!  Wink Cheesy

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:47:46 »

I wasn’t aware of that. End of.

Why you!!  Head Hurts Angry

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 09:59:50 »

Which equates to almost a quarter of our match day squad and all 4 did play. Not having them in training either in terms of numbers for things such as practice matches isn’t going to be ideal either.

I’d happily wager no other game has gone ahead in the EFL where a team has been missing 5 players due to international call ups. Saturday was our first win in over a month and rather than build on it we are now forced to change a significant part of our XI.

For me it also doesn’t send out a great message to the fans in terms of what we are looking to achieve this season in terms of do we actually want to challenge? You’d expect us not to want to play games without players if at all possible and we’ve done it against Stevenage and doing it again Saturday with even more players missing.
Every game in L1, bar 2, is off due to international call ups. Either international talent is cascading down the pyramid or there’s a distinct lack of true international players and country’s are reduced to whatever they can get.

As for Grant, he’s a must for the bench at least - especially if we’re defending a lead in the 2nd half. The fact he’s a fans favourite shouldn’t blind some of us to his actual worth to the side at this moment. No way would you drop Reed to accommodate him so maybe Garner sees Gladwin’s ‘going forward and ball retention’ skills as a price worth paying for his inferior defensive skills.

Where does Lyden come into this, as well? It wouldn’t surprise me to see Grant leave in January.

I’ve also been thinking about our, touches wood, lack of injuries so far. I’d presume the majority of injuries are sustained as a result of physical contact and the fact that our possession stats are high and we don’t seem like a team to get stuck in has resulted in players steering clear. I’m guessing here, but has Conroy ever played 10 consecutive games before?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: