Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northampton v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 30972 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 18:33:46 »

blimey, discussing tippy tappy is far removed from questioning the managers future isn't it?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 18:41:26 »

These comments, my comments, are purely personal ones. It’s how I see it and how I ‘consume’ it. No doubt the majority are happy enough - and that’s fine.

If we’re still scrapping 1-0 wins and heading for automatic promotion, I still won’t be happy watching it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 19:18:48 »

Where as I’d happily take 46 turgid, horrible, ugly 1-0 wins all day long.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 19:43:08 »

The way we are playing is deeply flawed

I just don't get what is going on in Garner's mind in terms of what he sees as a an acceptable performance and how he sees us progressing...as Audrey said,what exactly is he trying to achieve and why can't he see what is so glaringly obvious to 95% of Town fans?

Where we're going wrong is so obvious to anyone who watched the game yesterday and indeed to anyone who has seen us play at any point this season...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 19:58:05 »

Where as I’d happily take 46 turgid, horrible, ugly 1-0 wins all day long.

Which is where I have suggested a couple times since the season started we may well get. 1-0 to the Swindon Town could catch on.

I was always bought up on the premiss that you build a team from the back. After all if you stop an opponent from scoring over 90 minutes you get at least a point. To a degree we’ve been relatively successful. We have not been spanked though we’ve not spanked anyone yet ourselves and we are in touch with the leaders, not bad, not bad at all. Again we clearly didn’t have the cash flow to roll out the chequebook to buy who we could where we needed them. That will happen either in January or for next season depending on how BG, BC see the season concluding. A good cup run will be the icing and cherry on the cake to facilitate the acquisitions that are need to keep all of you happy. Possession football, lighting attacks, free raiding wingers, seamless play from a watertight and solid back line through a stylish midfield to feed the monsters who will spearhead the attack. There that should do it. Until then we have debts, fines and an untold amount of creditors to pay. Rome wasn’t built in a day and our developing empire will not be concluded this season either.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 20:28:05 »

I do get people saying the style of play isn't exciting, because keeping possession amongst our back 4 or back 5 just isn't exciting. The issue with the personal in our squad is I don't see what else we can do? If we pumped it long it would come straight back, as Simpson isn't great in the air. We can't really get it out wide and whip it in, as again Simpson isn't great in the air nor does he have Doyle's movement in the box. The hope is that the possession style improves the players confidence on the ball and they develop as footballers under Garner. The ball does need to be passed substantially quicker though, generally speaking.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 21:09:09 »

From 3.07, Crichlow taken out.
pantomime dame

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Monday, September 20, 2021, 02:09:01 »

It’s nothing to do with being an expert. I find it boring to watch - end of. There’s no excitement generated and, for me, that is paramount.

If we do well I’ll become a fickle fucker and put up with it. But it’s not my choice.

Very much this. I stopped coming to the County Ground half way through Luke Warms fiasco and bugger me if I haven't spunked out for a season ticket and found myself watching the same old crap, however, start winning 1 0 every game and I'll put up and shut up.
some perspective. I watched most of the away games while Flitcroft was in charge (but no home games) and thought he was brilliant. I never saw Town win so many away games. Shit football though.

Woke is the revenge of the mediocre
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Monday, September 20, 2021, 08:44:40 »

I enjoyed the trip to NTFC on Saturday. Nice pre-match pint in the Sixfields with China Red. (great to have a local Swindon fan in tow!) Got to the ground quite early and was surprised to see the side stand opened to Swindon fans, a couple of the stewards were going around the crowd offering those seats to families and the elderly to allow them more space. There wasn't the same strict seat allocation as at Stevenage, which was sensible.

As usual we popped the ball about nicely but as usual when we got to the final third we seemed to run out of ideas. My perception might be off but it did seem like we were trying to get into the final third quicker than at Stevenage, perhaps this was down to the busyness of Johnny Williams. Sadly Reed's radar appeared to be off more often than not and possession was often given away cheaply. We obviously got away with the disallowed goal and the header off the frame of the goal but for us Simpson has to be scoring his chance where he hits the bar!

Second half I thought we mixed things up a bit more, trying to turn Northampton quicker by utilising the running of Simpson and KKH. Our goal came when KKH got to the byline and Simpson was able to bury his chance. Obviously we switched off straight afterwards and Jojo saved us with a great save. I had said throughout the game that Northampton looked dangerous from set pieces and from crosses into the box and sadly their most potent threat from a corner, Horsfall headed home. Having someone on that post may have helped matters but for whatever reason we didn't. Overall a handy point away from home. I think I would give Conroy my Man of the Match. He made 3 excellent interceptions first half and is always generally a calm head.

I see there has been quite a lot of discussion regarding how we play and how Garner sets up the team and tactics etc and there has been some excellent points raised. Personally - and of course I have absolutely have no idea how long it takes to properly get a team to 'gel' - but I do still see what Garner is trying to do as a work in progress. 2 weeks or so before the season kicked off we had 6 or so pro players on the books. We've basically brought in a brand new squad, a brand new manager and not a huge amount of planning time to implement the way he wants us to play. The way I see it is that at the moment we are setup to play possession football without too many risks. Keep things tight at the back first and build from there. Obviously the problem we have is that it is frustrating to see 10/15 passes and then when we do get across the centre circle it tends to either break down or go back to Jojo or Conroy. I would hope that within the next 6 or so games we might see our tempo increase and we get the ball out to the wing backs, or utilise Simpson's runs quicker. Personally in the second half on Saturday I think we looked to get the ball quicker to KKH, Iandolo and Simpson, to try and get them in behind where of course we are far more dangerous. I think at home we need to be a bit braver, push the line higher up and build attacks faster. I think this will come once the players learn how everyone plays, for example at Stevenage Simpson's runs forward were generally ignored, on Saturday I think there was more confidence to try and use him more.

Finally a word for the Stewards who I personally thought did a great job on Saturday. After we scored they let the fans stand in front of the seats and on the stairways (I'm sure this probably is in a breach of elf and safety!) and generally seemed to handle things well. There was of course an element of single brain cell supporters, 2 fullish bottles of 'fizzy pop' with the tops on made there way from our fans onto the pitch. To our credit this behaviour was shouted down. I can potentially see some aggro this season between the more mature section of our crowd and the teenage Stone Island crew who in my eyes look like they are trying to 'show off' or something. One fan seemed to prefer to spend the match arguing with a steward rather than watch the game. He was eventually ejected, for what reason I have no idea but he did seem to be trying the patience of a steward who earlier had been helping fans in an very amiable way.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #369 on: Monday, September 20, 2021, 09:37:23 »

Some comments on the game from Cobblers fans, of course they labour the point about the disallowedgoal a lot but that video posted clearly shows an impediment to Critch's run back.

The first 10 minutes were flat, but Swindon were allowed to just past around the back sort of aimlessly.

Well, I'm happy with that. Swindon looked a decent side, but we really took the game to them and attacked.

Good side Swindon. Happy with a point.

A thoroughly enjoyable game today with Swindon arguably playing the "better" football but its playing the more effective football. Either way, it was end to end stuff and always something going on. I'm still not clear why our goal was disallowed.

We certainly deserved the point and on balance I think that was just about a fair result.

Enjoyable game and fortunately we got something out of it. The disallowed goal was one of the more bizarre things I have ever seen in half a cntury of watching the Cobblers. On the face of it a shocking decision, but perhaps the cameras will show different. Thought the ref had done well up to that point - but he's lucky the game didn't descend into chaos that would have been his fault.

Entertaining game, good atmosphere and some decent performances

Quite an entertaining game which we certainly did not deserve to lose and looked the more likely winners although we were slow out of the blocks and took about 1/4 hour to get into the game.

Seems I might be in a minority tonight, but I thought we were much better than Swindon. OK they knocked the ball around well but it was nearly an hour into the match before they had a shot

In fact I’ll go as far and say that the Swindon defence was one of the weakest I’ve seen at Sixfields for some time! Shame we could capitalise!

Thought it was a really entertaining game. Both teams had spells where they were on top and had the other on the ropes. Draw definitely was the right result.

Swindon’s goal was really good. They tore us to pieces and it was a great move.

Thought a 2 goal win would have been about right...Really enjoyed the game, albeit it was frustrating at times.

The referee robbed us of a goal by getting sucked in and then couldn’t get a decision right after that .

Thoroughly enjoyable game. I guess a draw is a fair result but both sides could have nicked it.

On their Forum one of their fans suggested it was a soft foul at best and that they got lucky at that decision too!

A body check to prevent their player from chasing/closing down on McGowan?
We would have been unhappy for it to not have been given against us.
Sometimes they are missed, unfortunately this one wasn't.

At best it was a touch of pushy shovey that the Swindon defender milked when he saw the position he’d left himself in. The goal was disallowed due to extreme pressure placed on a weak official.

On top of Swindon's 3pts (suspended) deduction, following trouble at Stevenage, Sixfields Tavern and several bottles and objects thrown onto the pitch yesterday, maybe another deduction...given a financial penalty will serve little use!

thought it was strange that Swindon away strip is in the colours of their rivals !!

Technically Deepo might be right but as one Swindon fan described it as an opportunistic dive; the two players came together so he fell over! The guy who fell over was booed by the NorthEnd and West Stand for the rest of the game. If that had been the other way round………. On the other hand will ask Jim and his bunch of pals was it a foul or not! Agree it’s all irrelevant the goal was disallowed so that’s it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Monday, September 20, 2021, 09:42:50 »

Why on earth do they think we got a 3 point deduction because of trouble at Stevenage?

Thought everyone knew it was for non payment of 1 month’s wages.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #371 on: Monday, September 20, 2021, 09:43:23 »

Why on earth do they think we got a 3 point deduction because of trouble at Stevenage?

Thought everyone knew it was for non payment of 1 month’s wages.
Because lots of fans are a bit thick.

Also reading entire articles rather than assuming things based upon headlines seems to be beyond many.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Monday, September 20, 2021, 10:07:57 »

Mostly pretty decent comments to be fair.

A couple of Northampton fans said to me after the game (words along the line of)...

"You've got a decent team there, best side we've played this season, ball retention is excellent, but you f*** it up in the final third!"

Certainly couldn't argue with the last point and I was quite surprised at how complimentary they were overall....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Monday, September 20, 2021, 11:44:15 »

Looks like the storm clouds are gathering, I'll give it a failure to beat Rovers before the first 'Garner Out' calls and re-enforsed by defeat to FGR. He's already been described as a non manager without any tactical nouse.

Garner has his plan, same approach every game so far, he's not likely to tell us in any interview. It's going to be a long winter for the 1/2 dozen experts making all the noise on here.

Going to be an interesting few months, can't wait until the home crowds turn on him and the team.

Probably a nod to my comments.  To be clear, I did follow that up by hoping he'd make me look a tit.

I'm not suggesting he won't haver some periods of success, or that he will fail miserably this season with us.  I'm suggesting I just don't think he has that certain something that works for the top job.  He's missing something on the side where the result takes priority - that is not for him.  His passion clearly comes from developing players, so I think in the long run, either by choice or a sacking or two, he will end up back in that role, maybe quite high up the food chain.

For this season, I think we are doing about as well as anyone had hoped and I stick by my assessment that we can hang in around the play offs long enough to see what a January window can bring.  A couple of key additions and we could be a very good team for this division.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Monday, September 20, 2021, 12:53:46 »

It’s not all about Garner. There’s a marriage of management on the playing side. Ben Chorley has a big part I’d imagine in the players that come in. I don’t believe Garner says I want that player, go get him. They both have to report to Aberdeen. They both have to a big game plan for the whole season and if a player is required they’ll surely have to justify it to him. I don’t believe the budget at the start of this season had enough money in the pot to get the strikers/forwards we would have liked, we were and still are in financial shit street and will be for this season. There has to be an amalgam of success, which is income generating, Clems investment, cost savings, debt repayment, which is creditors both from the footballing side and suppliers, oh and a small matter of players wages. Which is why they’re pushing tickets online and the club shop is limited in its opening hours. A combo of no stock and no need to staff it.

In essence I think everyone’s expectations are a bit much. That includes the playing style and players we seem to have. Seriously, it’s coming. The play on the field is not relegation standard, equally it’s not far off promotion standard, again 1-0 to the Swindon Town.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: