Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northampton v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 30700 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 13:35:09 »

Looking back to the game I’d say we should be happy with a point.

Other than Gilbert’s shot that was pushed out to Simpson, who then hit the bar, we didn’t have another shot at goal in the first half. Not a shot on target but any kind of effort at goal. This despite dominating possession.

Watching the lack of movement from our midfield in the first half was a worry, and shows clearly why we pass the ball across the back four or five a lot & not forward into midfield.

After the break we appeared to change our approach a bit and tried to attack them down the wings and got a bit more joy.

We always look susceptible at set pieces, especially without Grant, as our midfield is quite lightweight (and short).

We could (and probably should) have scored more goals, but to be fair so should they.
STFC no2 fan

« Reply #346 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 15:05:32 »

Brighton fans seem to have spent the last couple of years moaning about Potterball and it now seems to have clicked with the players, I'm defo gonna give Garner the benefit of the doubt and allow time for his system to bed in. Agreed, it has been boring at times so far and relying on Conroy to play like a combination of Tom Brady and Franz Beckenbauer might be a bit of a stretch. After a shocking first half we looked good in the second yesterday though and created plenty.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 15:30:06 »

Just watched the extended highlights. The impression it gave was:
- Northampton gave us a 1-1 battering
- Simpson hit the bar and had 2 saved as well as scoring once
- Gilbert had a shot from Simpson hitting the bar
- Lots of headed and flick on chances for Northampton that they should have done batter with.
- One decent save from Wollacott
- One timely saving tackle from Conroy
- One disallowed goal for Northampton

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 15:58:22 »

Looking back to the game I’d say we should be happy with a point.

Other than Gilbert’s shot that was pushed out to Simpson, who then hit the bar, we didn’t have another shot at goal in the first half. Not a shot on target but any kind of effort at goal. This despite dominating possession.

Watching the lack of movement from our midfield in the first half was a worry, and shows clearly why we pass the ball across the back four or five a lot & not forward into midfield.

After the break we appeared to change our approach a bit and tried to attack them down the wings and got a bit more joy.

We always look susceptible at set pieces, especially without Grant, as our midfield is quite lightweight (and short).

We could (and probably should) have scored more goals, but to be fair so should they.

Northampton put in a great performance, yet the Town could have won 3:0.  I think that the perspective is that if we can get a point from a good side way from home, while looking flawed, we don't have much to worry about.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 16:31:43 »

We are mint.
End of thread.
REDBUCK

« Reply #350 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 16:50:13 »

Looks like the storm clouds are gathering, I'll give it a failure to beat Rovers before the first 'Garner Out' calls and re-enforsed by defeat to FGR. He's already been described as a non manager without any tactical nouse.

Garner has his plan, same approach every game so far, he's not likely to tell us in any interview. It's going to be a long winter for the 1/2 dozen experts making all the noise on here.

Going to be an interesting few months, can't wait until the home crowds turn on him and the team.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 17:04:59 »

It’s nothing to do with being an expert. I find it boring to watch - end of. There’s no excitement generated and, for me, that is paramount.

If we do well I’ll become a fickle fucker and put up with it. But it’s not my choice.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 17:06:45 »

Quote from: REDBUCK

Garner has his plan, same approach every game so far, he's not likely to tell us in any interview. It's going to be a long winter for the 1/2 dozen experts making all the noise on here.

You're quite right, a football forum matchday thread is no place to talk about football
REDBUCK

« Reply #353 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 17:12:58 »

I didnt say it wasn't. You just might be repeating the same stuff in every match day thread for a while yet.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 17:14:05 »

Looks like the storm clouds are gathering, I'll give it a failure to beat Rovers before the first 'Garner Out' calls and re-enforsed by defeat to FGR. He's already been described as a non manager without any tactical nouse.

Going to be an interesting few months, can't wait until the home crowds turn on him and the team.

I don't see that happening this season.   I think attendances will naturally drop if our home form is poor, but that would happen regardless of style.  He's a young manager who will be given time.

Almost every year we can be better than we are and that gets debated on here, it's great that we can actually talk about football again.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 17:17:44 »

I didnt say it wasn't. You just might be repeating the same stuff in every match day thread for a while yet.
So, as fans, you’re saying we should just suck it up and keep quiet if we disagree with aspects of how it’s going on the pitch.
REDBUCK

« Reply #356 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 18:15:00 »

Nope. you can say what you like. I just don't think Garner is likely to be changing his playing style anytime soon so every match day thread is going to be identical to the last whenever the style of play comes up.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 18:22:55 »

Pretty much like the games, then!

I have no doubt Garner will stick to whatever it is he’s doing now. The only question is whether he can take the fan base with him - and for how long.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 18:25:12 »

Nope. you can say what you like. I just don't think Garner is likely to be changing his playing style anytime soon so every match day thread is going to be identical to the last whenever the style of play comes up.

...and if that is the case the problems/issue will continue to be the same and the results too.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 18:26:45 »

In my opinion, the majority of fans won’t care about the style of play if the results aren’t too bad. We are currently 10th, with 2 defeats in 8 league games.
Garner, rightly,  has absolutely nothing to worry about yet.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: